Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike
who is targetting them this winter?

what is your favorit rig?
[signature]
Hey:

Last winter was by far the best pike season I've ever experienced. It seemed like every time I went after walleye Mr. Pike was hanging around. One afternoon my partners and I caught and released 12 of them. Most were under 25", but a couple exceeded 33".

Thus, I have found the that the same rig I use for walleye seem to work well with pike also.

I ususally bait up a jig(green, yellow)with a live minnow hooked through the dorsal and let the little guy do most of the work, while jigging periodically.

Here's to some hard water soon in Northern Michigan!!!!!
[signature]
[Wink] Theres nothing like a dead smelt on a homemade quickstrike under a tipup and catching a 20 # + pike !!!

>
[signature]
Med to large sucker with a Mutu Circle hook, hooked to it, under a tip up.
[signature]
me , on a ice rod with a big old chub minnow fearing for his life . i like that first strike for the stun effect and wait for the kill hit and hang on !

zzzziiiinnnnngggg , fish on !
[signature]
The famous old tip-up with a nice 7 inch chub with a cut tail so he looks hurt. The pike love them. Did real good last year. I hooked up about everytime last year with a pike just around 30 inches the biggest one reached 40 inches just over 11 lbs. last year I caught a nice bass on a tip up 17 incher 2lbs and when I was pulling him in, a pike grabed him and left a whole row of teeth marks across his back and belly. That is the one I'm after this year. I now he is there because I seen him this summer out blue gill fishing with the kids. Can you say SHARK!! he has to be puhing 45 to 50 inches long and guessing 18lbs.
[signature]
sounds like he will be worth the effort. we got a big one over here at my place whwre we were at last winter. he grabed a 12 inch bass I was pulling in and killed it. I had to throw the bass back, well because ya know we cant keep them that size but the pike can. I am gessing the one here is about 60--70 and may go 25-30 pounds. I watched him pull ducks down this summer. streight down with no fight from the ducks. I witnessed 6 duck drownings this past summer.

you are welcome to come out with me again and give him a go, I have thrown every thing in my box at him, But I think my problem is I dont have any thing bigenough to draw his attention.
[signature]
So it was a Pike and not that snapping turtle we're gonna use the tow truck to land?
[signature]
yep, aperantly I am not the only one to see the monster. he has been rearing its head out of the water on ocation. He is a wopper and a half. he scares me more than a giant snapper. he may not have the strenth of a snapper but he has the teeth of a gelette stainless..

one nick in the wrong place and ya wont make it out of the water to tell about it.
[signature]
I may have answered this pike and not turtle thing incorectly.

this lake contains both a mastidon of a monster turtle if not two and a pike that could use fat alberts leg for an apitizer!!!! HEY HEY HEY!!![shocked]

I am sharpening my harpoon getting ready for the catch of the centurary......
[signature]
You've gotta catch both before you move. And I want to be there to help!
[signature]