Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snapping Turtles
well it is turtle season once again, hope every one is getting out on the water to get in some kind of fishing.

be sure to read the rules this season, the minimum size limit has gone up to 13 inches carapace length. the season runs from July 15 to sept 15.

while nets are un-lawful, traps are, be sure your trap is set with your name address phone number and is set in a manner that the turtle can get air from above the water surface.

That being said, any one have a good way to age a turtle?

I have in the past 2 days caught a 30 lb common snapper. Pic will come vary soon.
[signature]
A few days of research on my part and I have found there is no precise way to determine a turtles age.

up till they are about 13-15 years of age you can count the rings on one of the plates of the turtles shell +3. after that the shell tends to become smooth and makes it difficult to count rings. I am sure if you and a good scope you may be able to do something.

other than that,
[ul][li]a common snapper turtle shell about 10-11 inches long is about 15 years of age.[/li][li]a common snapper turtle shell about 13+ inches long is 25-100 years of age.[/li][/ul]
maybe I will find a better method one day.

click on photo to enlarge to see rings
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/18009/cat/838"][Image: DSCN1824.JPG][/url]
[signature]