Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shark of a tale!
[cool][size 2]We were out fishing somewhere between LB and Catalina in Calif last year and I was trolling large sardines on a heavy Seeker rod and my Calcutta.[/size]

[size 2]I go up on the tower of my friends boat to get a look around and check fish finder and the reel starts screaming![/size]

[size 2]I slide down rail and grab pole and go to work. After about 15-20 minutes of fighting something on the other end I get it up to the side of the boat.[/size]

[size 2]It's a 6-8' shark, probably Mako or Thresher. I was so excited I forgot to take picture.[/size]

[size 2]Anyway I believe all sharks should be released so as we lean down to take hook out I notice a second hook with line attached.[/size]

[size 2]I disconnected both hooks and with a thrash the shark was gone.[/size]

[size 2]Now I am holding a metal lure with line still attached. So I start pulling the line in which seemed to be like an eternity. Everyone is telling me to drop it.[/size]

[size 2]So after 10 minutes of pulling line in and a little ball of string I finally am ready to quit.[/size]

[size 2]Then I see something attached, I knew right away what it was. A pole and reel![/size]

[size 2]Someone most of left it unattended and the shark pulled it over board.[/size]

[size 2]It was an old Pacifica pole and Penn reel. Rusted tight![/size]

[size 2]That poor shark must of been dragging that thing around for awhile. I am surprised it was alive after that.[/size]

[size 2]Anyway I felt really good at end of day. Caught a nice shark and was able to release it and take that weight off him too[sly][/size]

[size 2]But I am sure he ended up in someones soup shortly after that[unsure][/size]
[signature]
was the rod still useable ? i was fishing on one of are local lakes this year with a rattle trap reeled in some line took it off the hook started pulling on it and pulled in a matched shakespear spinning outfit with a little slime on it took it home and washed and oiled it and it worked fine ended up trading it for a baitdasting outfit
[signature]
[size 2]The reel was history. Basic Penn baitcaster, probably like $30 and the pole was heavily saturated with saltwater and slime.[/size]

[size 2]I acutally broke the pole without any effort and threw in boat trashcan. I played with reel alittle while with oil, etc but it was lost cause.[/size]

[size 2]The reel looked like it had been down there for years![unsure][/size]

[size 2]I know what you mean about lakes though. I have pulled up a small little Kmart special rod and reel out of Anahiem Lake years ago.[/size]

[size 2]Probably same thing. On boat, wasn't paying attention and over it went![/size]

[size 2]I also have gotten lures and different things too. My firend actually claims to have gotten a rod and reel too with a fish still attached alive!![/size]

[size 2]Caught it off LB near oil islands on the backside. Alot of locals fish there. I am sure there is alot of poles, etc down there.[/size]

[size 2]The same guy also dives over near Rancho Palos Verdes and claims to have found a small skiff that sunk in the kelp patties. He said he found a full tackle box loaded with stuff![/size]

[size 2]Crazy[crazy][/size]
[signature]
i was free diving off the LA breakwall years ago when i saw a rod and reel down in the rocks swam down and grabed it and the line went tight turnrd out to have a bonita on the end
[signature]
don,t know what that is??? tell me will ya?? later[Smile]
[signature]
a bonita is in the tuna family they average about 3# and are a blast on light line use 4# line and you are in for a challange
[signature]
well i would, but i ain,t got no ocean to be fishin in haha. i like fishin light tackle too. i got my trout to fish, and i love them. do you eat them fish if there on the tuna line, ya must dont ya?? i,m in vermaont so i don,t know too much bout ocean fishin. been blue fishi before a few times had fun there, been on one of those paty boats before caught a big mackeral and almost won the pool haha and i caught someone elses line on the other side of the boat haha, and had a big hump back whale and it,s baby go under the boat, that was somethin. i was scat. haha other than that that,s it. we use to go to pulaski new york and go fer salmon, and browns, on the boat and the river, and had a ball. at olest a hundered times, no but a hole lot.least 5 times on the boat and another 8 times the river a year.fer 11 years. and i love my brook fishin here, some ponds and lakes. well ya have fun no matter what ya do, and thanks fer writin me, i,ll catch ya later. [Smile][cool][Smile]
[signature]
the meat is very dark and oily with a very strong taste when cooked but i liked them raw sprinkled with pepper and dipped in soy sauce
[signature]
That's a good form of a poor mans tuna. Really tast if prepared properly. You can even soak them in milk for a few hours and it helps to neutralize some of the stronger taste that is associated with it. Just like you would do with some of the mustier cats.
[signature]
hey bud htat,s cool, but i never been one fer doin my fish raw, i will my deer meat, but fish i,m a little leary of less it,s trout and then i still dont know if i would, lest i had to an then i would,. jack and i go to that chinese place and they have that kind of fish raw, no thank ya. i guess if ya grow up with it that way it different but i ain,t. had to haha. you been fishin?? huntin?? sound some like the blue fish they say they are too.i never had none of blue fish we caught so dont know. well thanks will catch up wit ya later. have fun.[Smile]
[signature]
got to be a habit from when i worked on sportboats on the way in cleaning fish some time for hours you would get hungery and you just ate what was at hand
[signature]
haha yeah i hear ya, do what ya got to do!! that must of been fun. always had a good time on the boat when i went even though i don,t like that much water,. haha that,s why i love my brook fishin though. my father thru me in the ocean when i was only 6 and said to ma, she,s gonna sink or swim, nice huh, well i sunk. another guy got me out. i thouht he was goona kill my father. i was so scat.i member him doin that. just like yesterday i wouldn,t do that to a puppy. oh well but that,s where it comes from. ya lnow. so i did well when i went out on ontario. hha then ended up comin in ona storm one time with 8ft waves hha that did me well. haha i,ll stick to my brooks thank you very much., haha well have fun this weekend, you gonna go fishin>??? huntin??? haha i,ve only asked ya that 3 times. haha you know what i,m doin. haha later [Smile][Wink]
[signature]