Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Lake report - Perch?
We rented a pontoon and hit Fish Lake this week. Trolling popgear with a worm seemed to be the best for Splake. The biggest was around 2.5 LBS. We did catch a few rainbows trolling as well. Most were down pretty deep - around 60 feet or so. A worm tipped with marshmallow brought in a few more rainbows.

I took the kids over by the weed line on the east shore so they could get into some fast action perch. I was thinking, I have read many posts on this site about catching perch at Deer Creek or Starvation and it seems like many people are targeting them with varying success. I never hear much about the abundance of perch, and how easy they are to catch at Fish Lake. The kids caught well over 100 perch in an hour and they hit on everything, even a near bare hook. They biggest was around 10 inches, and that may be the reason I don't hear much about them at Fish Lake. They sure seem to be thriving down there.

Anyway, nice cool weather and good fishing. Took about an hour to fillet 4 trout and 41 perch of dinner, but it was worth it. Good luck to y'all fishing down there.
[signature]
Sounds like you and the kids had a good time. Ill be hitting Fish Lake next weekend. I was wondering if you were fishing on the bottom or with a bobber. Also if you wouldn't mind giving me an idea of where to head to fish from the shore, I'd love that too. I have only fished Fish Lake 1 time on the ice about 20 years ago. Thank you. Good report.
[signature]
The worm and marshmallow worked well behind a full bubble on the bottom. The Splake were all caught trolling. As for the shore, the weed line is a huge problem for shore fishing, but the Twin Creek area by the lodge had some nice open spots. Also, I noticed people hiking along the east shore so there must be access somewhere along the south end of the lake. If one were to hike to that area they could catch perch all day long. I may be wrong, but it seems to me if you are after perch the weed line is the place to be.

Good luck down there, it is an absolutely beautiful place!!
[signature]
We usually make our perch pilgrimage there in the fall. The perch population is huge but most people are there for trout and do not target perch. They are generally on the small size due to over population but are fine eating nevertheless! My kids (and me) always enjoy fishing for 'em.The water drops off fast at the weed line and we usually catch the bigger perch on the egde of the deep water. Lots of trout are caught in that zone also while fishing for perch
[signature]
I went up last weekend camping and attempted shore fishing. West side you can catch some small perch, 8-9 inch was the biggest and I saw 2 trout get pulled in. There is an open camping area south side of the lake, entrance is a mile or so before the lake. A good 4x4 is needed or you can hike and reach the west side trail. The weeds were horrible and we couldn't pull a thing in through the weeds. Wasn't worth the time really to go to the east. The boats along the shelf there were killing them tho. Hope this helps!
[signature]