Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cutler Report 8-17-13
I went out this morning to get bait for taking the family out later today. I put in the toon at 7:15 and tried my minnow in the shallows on the way to the carp grounds and boom the water exploded as a 5 lb cat grabbed ahold and gave me a workout. Landed that one and it was all over for me except for carp. I tried my hand at archery seems the hunt opened this morning, I shot a carp and got my bait and headed in. Later we tried the river bank and got nibble after nibble but I only landed one more kitten so it was a slow day. Later J
[signature]
Here's a few pix of the action today... later J
[signature]
It's not fair that the carp in Cutler are already de-scaled.[Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
I'll trade ya. Later j
[signature]
[quote FishMcFisherson]It's not fair that the carp in Cutler are already de-scaled.[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/images/gforum/happy.gif[/img][/quote]"][/quote][/url]

Oh yeah- makes 'em much easier to filet and get those tasty white hunks of filet of them bony beasts!
Seems we've got to main 'types' - the Mirror Carp have large scales, and all variations of scale patterns. Never been sure if it's just genetics, or if the scales get worth off as they grow.

The "King" or common carp have a regular smaller scale pattern that covers the whole fish.

J - you're killing me! The guy who claims to never have time to get out, and you have been ON FIRE! Thanks for the reports. Yah - gots a little fishy-envy I do!

You oughta take your tune, some mud-boots, and a BIG bucket up to Newton. [Wink]

(and by bucket - I mean to collect your bountiful catch, not to move any live fish anywhere - JUST to be clear!!! Though you've got your basket)
Ya I kind of over did it this break, I should have worked on other things, but this fishing addiction gets the best of me sometimes. It was slow enough that maybe I'll work next weekend. Problem is I didn't find the big group of cats so I want to try finding where they are at now. Seems like Utah lake is still on fire so they must be around somewhere. The Newton trip sounds like a lot of fun. I'd like to try it. Did you go out? Let me know how you did if you went. Those toons are sure fun, if ya got over the perch out there I'll bet it would be a blast. How deep is the mud before you get to the water? Hope to run into you soon on the pond. Later J
[signature]
nice work! SO are the rumors true? Are they really going to drain cutler this year?
[signature]
I'm hearing the same rumors from two different directions so its probably true. I don't know many details, but it sounds like it will be down through the winter. Not sure when it will happen. My guess would be after the first of October since they don't have to worry about the irrigators that time of year. I hope it doesn't wipe out the good things cutler has going, but I don't know where the fish will go to survive, last time there wasn't much water left behind maybe they will flush them all downstream so the lower Bear will get even better. Fall fishing was fun last year, I'm going to miss it this year. If the mud wasn't so deep it would be fun to go explore down by the dam. Dad told me yesterday he's seen several dead catfish floating up on his lawn this last week. Hope they aren't dieing off already. Are you still finding cats? My spots have really dropped off in numbers so I'm trying to figure out where they went. I did see lots of minnows around so maybe the fish are just full. Later J
[signature]
Whaaaa! Why are they going to drain it?
[signature]
I hear they are working on the dam, but I really think it was an undercover plot from the southern catfish team trying to find a way to win the challenge. Later J
[signature]
[quote SkunkedAgain]I hear they are working on the dam, but I really think it was an undercover plot from the southern catfish team trying to find a way to win the challenge. Later J[/quote]

[:p][:p][:p][:p]
[signature]
So I see it must be true!!!
[signature]
I wouldn't know, I am not familiar with the catfish contest and I also live in the north.[bobWink]
[signature]
Where would they cutoff/divert the water from/to?
[signature]
Thought I had a bite, guess not. Later J
[signature]
After Oct first they shutoff the pumps at Bear Lake which cuts the flow way down. The rest they leave flowing straight through the dam so it becomes just a small stream. That flow is Cutlers hope for a come back. Hopefully enough fish will find deeper spots so they can survive the winter freezes and then in ten years maybe the populations will be back close to what they are now. Funny the carp always seem to survive, but I think the mudcats have taken real hits in numbers from what they used to be. Not that I feel bad about that. We used to catch suckers on the Bear river, but since the past drains I haven't caught any of them. Again I'm not too tore up over that loss. I would hate to lose the channels, walleye, crappie, big and small mouth bass and the bluegill, sunfish and perch. Not that I've caught a perch there yet, but I'd like to since I hear they are there. Anyway I guess Newton and Cutler will both be starting over. I hope they both recover well. Takes a long time to grow state record cats so it will be awhile to get back to the current state. Maybe the state will throw white bass in Cutler as part of a restock effort? Yup, I'm still trying to talk them into that. Later J
[signature]
This Saddens me big time! I haven't been able to fish but a handful of times this year. Now I hear my play ground is gonna die off. I better make some time to go before they drain it. Enjoy it while I can before I have to wait a decade for it to (hopefully) be back to what it is now..

When was the last drain they did?
[signature]
I guess I should shut down the rumor mill. There was an article that the Deseret news put out last sept. So I'd guess this is a year old rumor and from what the article stated the upgrades were to be decided on last sept. Looks to me like the upgrades to the flow gates were not necessary or it would have happened last year.
[signature]
I have not been out cattin in over a month. Water pump went on my outboard. Ive got it repaired now but im too busy chasing bucks and elk. Maybe i will get lucky and fill my tags early and get back out. This will be an interesting water fowl season. Cutler was a much less crowded alternative to benson.
[signature]
I think the last big drain was in the early 90's if I remember correctly.... I think it was about the time I went to work for Thiokol and that was 91... They have done other short lowering of the water levels since, but there is a big difference between the two... The one left very little water with "rapids" in places on the bear... Well it was more like fast water making waves like a rapid, but no rocks for it to roll over only mud and clay bottoms. Anyway it actually recovered fairly quick that time, because in a year or two after I was catching 8 lb walleye and cats... so don't lose all hope... I think a lot of fish move upstream or sit in deeper holes and I don't think Cutler is over populated by any means so I don't think the concentration really hurts them too bad.... Later J
[signature]