Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uintas fee
Is there still a fee to access the Uintas? Thought that the fee was to be waived.
Thanks...
[signature]
The fee is still there. You dont have to pay the $6 or whatever if your staying at an improved campground.
[signature]
I was under the impression that the fee only had to be paid if you DID camp at an improved campground. I thought the whole purpose of the changes to the fee system were to not charge people who were simply up there for part of a day.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/563613...e.html.csp
[signature]
I just got off the phone with the Kamas Ranger District and the lady confirmed that if you go there for a day you have to pay, that means if you're hiking or fishing. You DO NOT have to pay the fee if you stay within the improved campgrounds.
[signature]
It depends on whether you use developed facilities or not.
http://www.westernslopenofee.org/pdfuplo...orests.pdf

The judge was quite specific in what constituted developed facilities but I can't find it now. This finding is strongly supported by a previous law that allowed Federal Lands to charge fees for some types of use. I do recall a parking lot and bathroom alone didn't qualify as developed. If you have that plus a picnic area or other facilities I think charging fees may still be permissible. Maybe some one has time to find the ruling to clarify where fees can still be charged.
[signature]
[quote TroutMan93]I just got off the phone with the Kamas Ranger District and the lady confirmed that if you go there for a day you have to pay, that means if you're hiking or fishing.

You DO NOT have to pay the fee if you stay within the improved campgrounds.[/quote]

Exactly.
The way it should be.
You can still buy the Year pass that is also good for American Fork (Tibble) Good for 12 months.
[signature]
"I just got off the phone with the Kamas Ranger District and the lady confirmed that if you go there for a day you have to pay, that means if you're hiking or fishing"

Actually that is wrong.Be nice if they trained employees to know what is permissible and what is prohibited by law. It just depends on where you park and what you're doing. The case that went to court was over hikers that parked at a undeveloped site and hiked. No fee is allowed. This would hold true for parking at a undeveloped site and fishing in a undeveloped area.
[signature]
Sounds good RD! I was told that if you use a trailhead you have to pay. Whether or not you have to pay to fish or hike I don't care. Its $6. I'm good either way.
[signature]
They can't make that blanket statement for parking at all trailheads. Here's a link to the findings
http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/op...-16711.pdf
From pg 4 of the Judges findings
"This blanket “[p]rohibition on fees for certain
activities or services” forbids fees, among other things:
“[s]olely for parking, undesignated parking, or picnicking along roads or trailsides”;
“[f]or persons who are driving through, walking
through, boating through, horseback riding through,
or hiking through Federal recreational lands and
waters without using the facilities and services”; and
“[f]or camping at undeveloped sites that do not provide a minimum number of facilities and services as
described in 16 U.S.C. § 6802(g)(2)(A).”
Here's a link to the original law the judge found the Forest Service had over reached in collecting fees
http://www.fs.fed.us/passespermits/docs/...elines.pdf

[signature]
[quote TroutMan93]I just got off the phone with the Kamas Ranger District and the lady confirmed that if you go there for a day you have to pay, that means if you're hiking or fishing. You DO NOT have to pay the fee if you stay within the improved campgrounds.[/quote][#800000]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]You were lied to by a federal worker. How rare is that? The 9th Circuit Court ruled in 2012 that the USFS CAN NOT CHARGE A FEE TO HIKE. The ruling was also well reported in the SLC Tribune article linked by Downed Phly. The USFS CAN NOT charge you to drive through or stop and use un-developed areas of the land. There are still some areas that DO require a fee be paid and they have been identified and published. If you use any of the 18 standard-amenity sites (picnic areas, trailheads, fishing sites, etc.), 11 expanded amenity sites (camping areas with high concern for resource protection), or 3 special recreation permit sites (with several access points to groomed winter ski and snowmobile trails) along SR-150 (Mirror Lake Highway), you will be required to pay a fee.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3][/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]If you need to know the specific names of the 32 fee sites, go to this link:[/size][/#800000][/font][font "Times New Roman"][#800000][font "Times New Roman"][#800000] [/#800000][/font][/#800000][/font][url "http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5421361.pdf"][font "Times New Roman"][#0000ff][font "Times New Roman"][#0000ff]Mirror Lake Scenic Byway Recreation Fee Area.[/#0000ff][/font][/#0000ff][/font][/url]
[#800000]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]If you stay in one of the Concessionaire Operated developed campgrounds (for example Soapstone Campground), you will not be required to pay the Forest Service Recreation Use Fee. The Recreation Use Fee would only apply to visitors leaving the concessionaire operated campgrounds and utilizing the 32 Mirror Lake Scenic Byway stand-alone sites identified above.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3][/size][/#800000][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]If you just pull off the road anywhere but in one of the 32 listed sites and go for a walk in the woods, no fee is required. The truth is out there; all you have to do is seek it out.[/size][/#800000][/font] [/#800000]

[#800000][size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
There is a distinction between USFS campgrounds requiring a fee and concessionaire operated campgrounds that do not.
[/size][/#800000][/font][/size][/#800000][#800000]

[/#800000]

[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Ahhh, so parking at Mirror you have to pay right? But if you park at Lily or Teapot you don't have to? What about places like Trial where its an undeveloped parking but it has a toilet? Do you still have to pay there? Or the trailheads like Ruth that has two toilets do you have to pay there?
[signature]
[quote TroutMan93]Ahhh, so parking at Mirror you have to pay right? But if you park at Lily or Teapot you don't have to? What about places like Trial where its an undeveloped parking but it has a toilet? Do you still have to pay there? Or the trailheads like Ruth that has two toilets do you have to pay there?[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Go to the link I posted above and look at the 32 fee areas to see which SPECIFIC areas are now fee areas.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Thanks dubob! Nice to have it clarified from yourself and riverdog. [Smile]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]You're welcome. I'm always glad to help spread the truth.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[fishin]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Try to ignore the lines through most of my post. Pretty sure it's just Bumblehive ( Utah Data Center) screwing with me. I seem to be one of their guinea pigs with getting their yottabyte of capacity online. Don't worry it's all in good fun and you're safe to click on the link.
[signature]
Dang, I'm ticked. I've donated lots of money because I was told that you had to pay anytime you parked your vehicle. I've been paying to beat my truck on Upper Setting, Murdock Basin, and Spring Canyon Road ever since they started the fee. One good thing is that when they dumped the 1-day $3 pass and started the rip-off $6 2-day pass I still only left $3 in the envelope. I thought I was being a rebel, but I guess it was 3 dollars more than I should have give them.
Forest Service owes me a chainsaw or something. Maybe an ATV.
[signature]
[quote brookieguy1]Forest Service owes me a chainsaw or something. Maybe an ATV.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Damn right![/size][/#800000][/font]
[Wink]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
BG1,
I'd say between the fees you and I paid alone they owe us a lake. Maybe not a drive up one but one on Mirror Lake Highway but one on a rough road or a couple mile hike.
How about Alexander Lake?
[signature]
That one is mine! Remember, I am older[laugh][laugh]
[signature]
Alexander. I will accept the lake, providing I can decide the management. 2500 brook trout per year? I don't think so. I remember in the 90s catching nice plump 17" brook trout from there. In recent years, the average fish has been, well, an average Uinta fish. 11-13" and skinny.
My management plan would be simple. 250-300 sterile brook trout per year.
It would be tough but worthwhile fishing for sizable fish. The lake has the feed and lower elevation advantages. Deep enough not to winterkill. Fishing is a struggle unless you know how to go out and dig-em out. Rough road in. 70 minutes from my house.
Purrfect.
[signature]