Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best wishes during bow season.
With tomorrow being the opening day of bow season, I just wanted to wish you all the best of luck.

May the noses of your quarry be filled with smoke, may their ears be deaf to those unexpected noises, may all your calls sound like the sweet song of a mermaid, and may all your shots be true.

Good luck. The game is afoot.
[signature]
I love you too man........ good luck.......
Matt
[signature]
Oooooooooohhhhhh!!!!!!!! I'm so excited!!!!! Can't make it out till Monday though.
[signature]
Left Thursday afternoon.

Stupid people at walmart and lots of road construction kept me from meeting up with Duckslayer on the way out of town.

Get up there and notice some smoke way off. Hmmm...

Get to camp and we decide to head towards the fire. Its about 7 miles (as the crow flies) away from camp. It was roaring pretty good so we decide to come back in the morning and check it out before hunting. We head over (passed up a 2x2 velvet buck, just seemed too early) and the fire is very tame compared to the night before. We head back to camp and eat some breakfast. Had to go into town to get flat tire fixed... Damn cows have lots of rocks rolled down into the road. We come back and get in the (Polaris) ranger and head even closer to the fire about mid day. Now it is roaring again and covering lots of ground. The terrain is very steep and retardent planes cannot get in to the steep canyons. Lots of helicopters working, but they seem very disorganized. Some water here, some there, not really attacking any one area.

We head back to camp and have some lunch. Decide to go have another look in the evening. We meet a sherriff that tells us we have to leave. He was a young guy, very nice. He was driving a patrol car and we headed up to look at the fire anyway. We showed him where some other camps were, as he didn't know the area as well as we did. We see the fire has covered about a mile since our mid day trip. We go back to camp and decide we will leave in the morning. No sign of the forest service at this point. We get up this morning and drive in the dark to the fire. It hasn't moved much at all since last night. We figure no one is around due to the evacuation from the night before so we head to a spot, fourwheelers there. Head to another spot, dirtbikes there, head to camp. Make a midday hike near camp and now forest service is showing up. Now we have to leave, they have checkpoints set up. No sneaking around this one. 3 different forest service people stop in our camp to tell us to leave. So we pack up. Now waiting to see if the fish and game will let us swap tags.

One guy has been hunting the area for 37 years, never seen this happen.

Now, reading the story on the news, they say no containment expected until sometime next week.

Archery season is young, only 2 days old in fact. I am optimistic as there is lots of time still.
[signature]