Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The skunk is gone!!! Scofield 9-3-13
The last three trips I have made I came back smelling of skunk so I thought this had better be a better day. It was. I headed for scofield to see what I could come up with. Got to the reservoir at day break and launched to calm water, almost glass except where the fish had broken it. Which was all over. The air temps were in the upper 40's and water temps were 65. I was surprised to see how much water was in the reservoir and that the launch ramp was still in the water. I also watched two boats get trailered there as well. Lots of moss on the water but the fish were hungry. Rigged up my fly rods and tried different patterns with a few hits and no takers. Then tied on the olive woolly bugger. And caught a small chub. Then I felt like I had hit bottom. I knew I was getting shallower but when I pulled the line, it pulled back. A nice 15 1/2 inch cutthroat. [Smile] Skunk gone! Left just as a cloud burst happened. Great day on the water, no one else there either. Here's some pics!

[inline "DSCN1862 - 400.jpg"]

[inline "DSCN1863 - 400.jpg"]

[inline "DSCN1866 - 400.jpg"]
[signature]
Looks like fun! Thanks for the post and pics. That chub looks like good bait for the hard deck [Tongue]
[signature]
Lots of them in there. I had a lot of hit and misses that felt like this little guy. I think they had a hard time taking the bait. Also looked like most of the top water action may have been chub.
[signature]
I don't know you but I saw you up there today while I was working, About 2hrs after you came in, that rain squall turned into a heck of a storm, Was even skeery up on the road driving. First I was jealous that you had the lake to yourself, 2hrs later I was glad I wasn't on the water in my little boat!
Glad you got the skunk off!
Take care
[signature]
Thanks, I enjoyed the 5 hours by my self. The rain storm hit just as I got off the lake and hit the launch ramp. What do you do up there?
[signature]
I don't do anything special up there, just a Pepsi driver, I go up a couple times a week to the store and skyline mine To make a few bucks is all.
I usually pull over and watch the fishing for a bit to see if I want to hit it on the weekend or not.
Most times I opt for a day off during the week to go fish that lake,
I live in Price so its real close to me to go, But I must admit this year I have been slacking on Scofield.
Accidentally caught wiper fever after catching a couple out of Huntington North,
After I get over the fever I will bother the fishes in Scofield some more.
[signature]
I attempted Huntington north, that was one of my skunk trips.
[signature]