Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Kayak to get for Bass Fishing?
Crew,

I'm wanting to get into kayak bass fishing. I need some help in pointing me in the right direction. I'm hoping to find something light I can throw on top of my RAV toyotay crossover, but yet big enough I can stand up on and flip into cover to catch bass.

Interested in any suggestions. Thanks!
[signature]
How light is light? for kayaks you have a WS ride 115~68 lbs. Ocean kayak big game power 12' 9" ~70 lbs. I personally have a big game and i can lift it over my head to put on my crossover. I would rather have a strident 13 but I got my game for the right price at 300. Or you can get a SUP. You will get wetter on a SUP but can strap a cooler and crate to it for a seat and storage. All those will run you ~$1000. Check out ack.com they have excellent service.

And get the best paddle you can afford. ie light and strong.
[signature]
Thanks for the advice, checked out the site you suggested. You weren't kidding about the right price! How did you pick one up for $300.00?

Also, how does yours feel when you stand up in it? I'm a not a super big dude I weigh 165 and I'm 5'10" do you think the ride will do the trick?

by (WS) you mean Wilderness systems right? I'm not super familiar yet with the kayak world abbreviations.

Thanks for your response!
[signature]
WS= Wilderness Systems. I am 5' 9" 155 and I tested the ride 115. I liked it alot and if that one doesnt work for you, the 135 would. The Big Game works for what I am doing, and I dont have a grand to spend on a yak yet so I make due with what I have. The Big Game is very stable at 34" wide and can handle the waves I get in the larger reservoirs here in Utah. I found my yak on Ksl.com and then purchased my paddle from another website.

Good Luck to you
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I'm getting stoked to join the plastic navy!
[signature]
First, it's great to have at least SOME traffic in this forum. With kayak fishing as popular as it is, the lack of participation here dismays me.

You question is a lot like "What boat for bass fishing?" because there's a huge range of correct answers. A lightweight kayak is like the jonboat of fishing: Dead basic. That's perfect for some, but not others. Serious bass anglers would recommend nothing less than a $30,000 boat with a 300-hp motor. That's the other end of the spectrum.

My fishing boat/kayak is a Hobie ProAngler 14. I'll admit that it's the kayak version of the mega bass boat rather than the jonboat. It's spendy and heavy - but I could afford it and I can easily get it atop my Durango even at age 66. But once you've experienced pedal power you won't want anything else.
[signature]
[quote RockyRaab] and I can easily get it atop my Durango even at age 66.[/quote] I would like to see this. The easily part anyways.
I got rid of my Outback because it was such a pain to take on and off of my Tahoe by myself. I kept my Revo tho as it is not nearly as awkward.
Well, ok.......the Outback went because it wasn't getting any use anymore and only part of the reason for that is it is such a pig compared to the Revo. Main reason is I am paddling other stuff anymore.
[signature]
I'm sure Kory would concur about the peddle power thang. I only have an inflatable, but even wonder about pontoons with oars, suppose if you have a rod holder, and are trolling - of sorts.

I'd think having hands free mobility would be very helpful while keeping your hands on your tackle!
Getting it up is easy (no schoolboy jokes here, LOL!) First position the boat...

[Image: IMG_0602.jpg]

Then lift the bow up onto the roof (I have rollers installed to help)

[Image: IMG_0604.jpg]

Then lift the stern and push. Tie down and done.

[Image: IMG_0605.jpg]
[signature]
I should add this: Closeup of the rollers and a mat I use to protect the paint...

[Image: IMG_0603.jpg]
[signature]
coyotespinner, I had a couple of float tubes, then a pontoon before I got the Prangler. There's NO comparison. I can hold a slow 1.5 mph troll for hours with hands free, or cruise at twice that speed to get from A to B. Even faster in bursts. If I were in better shape I could probably maintain 5 mph -- but I'm not.

Then there's the storage: Six rods horizontal, two vertical and one in a holder if I desire that many. Huge 11-gallon bow hold. Center hold with four tackle boxes. Rear deck for my cooler. Comfy seat. Fishfinder.
[signature]
Ok.....square back on the Pro. Too easy.
My Outback and Revo both are pointed bows and pintails along with the rudder extending from the end.
Both I carry/carried hull up and deck down.
I tried rollers, Saddles, even the Yakima Show boat and although the Show Boat is pretty slick I don't use it anymore. I just have rack pads for everything. With the hull down the rollers and Saddles would be slick.
Loading up on the lake shore of many places I go is never as easy as in the driveway unless I just pick the whole thing up and set it on the roof.
Have got a Hobie I 12 in the house now and that is stable as they come. Probably could stand in it but it isn't too slick for rigging. It really only takes an extra 5 minutes to deflate it and load up than to load and strap down a regular kayak.
[signature]
Plus - as is only too easy to discover - inflatables and fish hooks are natural enemies!
[signature]
For the price I would have to say an outback would be exactly what I want. I should be able to buy one next summer. The mirage drive is amazing!
[signature]
At 5'9 and 155 I would consider the Revolution 11.
Hobie brought that out last year, a mini version of the Revolution 13.
The Outback is super, super, stable and is probably the easiest boat to rig after the Pro but it is slow, even with turbo fins. You can still peddle along no problem but lots of drag. Lots of hull slap in the chop and it will blow around more, The bows on the Revos will cut through the chop rather than slap over it. They are way faster and are more than stable for someone your height and weight. I am 6'4" and 215 and the Revo is not quite as handy for the forward mount rod holder or fish finder as the Outback but the Outback is still the one I got rid of. They have redesigned the Revolutions, Quest, and Sports for 2014 to make mounting things easier. Those should be out in the next few weeks. Perhaps there has been some redesign on the Outback also. There are a couple short videos out there from the OR show last month.

The Revolution is also more fun to sail but I did tip it sailing where I never did the Outback. Sailing rudder, sail or not, is pretty slick as are the turbo fins.
There is a dealer in Burley Idaho that will let you take one down to the river to demo if that is anywhere close to you. They also sell "demo" boats. Perhaps you could score a deal there. There are also demos to be found at ACK and Ebay.

I also like to paddle, (put the mirage drive away, flip up the rudder and paddle) at times. The Outback is worthless for that. Well, not worthless but really not to great for that.

As far as the inflatable and fish hooks I see what you are saying but it is bomber construction. Although not a separate bladder like a pontoon boat I would compare it more to that than something else in regards to durability. Wouldn't give it a thought and just check after getting out didn't drop a lure in somewhere.
For most of the fishing I do the hooks would really have to be a major screw up on my part to pierce it, even my big Krocodiles, Rapallas, or Kamloopers.
I wouldn't recommend the inflatable as your first or main fishing rig unless you have storage or transportation issues but it is a good boat. We haul so many kayaks and paddleboards we needed an inflatable to be able to haul enough in one rig.
[signature]
For a boat with two pointed ends, the Roller Loader would help prevent the boat from rolling after you get the bow up. Here's a link to the commercial one. I've also seen photos of ones that guys have DIY'ed using suction disks and rollers bought at Harbor Freight.

http://www.paddling.net/buyersguide/acce...fID=55&cat=
[signature]
[quote RockyRaab]For a boat with two pointed ends, the Roller Loader would help prevent the boat from rolling after you get the bow up. Here's a link to the commercial one. I've also seen photos of ones that guys have DIY'ed using suction disks and rollers bought at Harbor Freight.
[url "http://[/quote]"][/quote][/url]

Great, if you are going to carry hull down and deck up. I carry deck down and hull up. Flipping them over on top of my Tahoe has caused excitement more than once. If I remember correctly Hobie recommends deck down and hull up for the Outback and Revolution. That is how I carry my OK too although I have put that in a J cradle when needing the roof space for other craft.
This is the best I have found if going deck down. Works for hull down too.

[url "http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages/yakima-showboat-66.asp"]http://www.rackattack.com/...kima-showboat-66.asp[/url]
[signature]
What size of kayak would you recommend to a smaller person? I'm 115 and 5'4"....
[signature]
[quote DasJusMeDoe]What size of kayak would you recommend to a smaller person? I'm 115 and 5'4"....[/quote]

A ten footer would fit you quite well. Sit on top yaks are where it's at for fishing. All the major brands have something in that size.

I'm 6'2" and use a 10 ' Ocean Kayak Tetra Angler. Got it for $300 was the main reason I have it.

Two years ago I sold my Cobra Fish -n- Dive. It was 12 feet and 36" wide.

Stable as a much bigger boat. Nearly untip-able. Standing and casting, paddling or having a big fish tow you around - no problems. Only slightly heavier.

The nice thing about the ten foot size is it fits entirely inside my mini-van with the seats down. The hatch closes. The 12 footer hung out 6 " and the hatch was bungeed shut onto the trailer hitch.

Bigger is usually better ( but heavier) and has more deck space, cuts waves vs flopping over them and will track better when paddling.

If money is not the issue I recommend Hobie Mirage drive line. It will be my next one. You can pedal and troll while casting or reading a book, eating etc.
[signature]
Awesome to know, thanks a ton.

I have an impreza so I'm going to need a roof rack no matter what haha
[signature]