Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips for Fish Lake
I bought a new boat about a week ago and my dad called and wanted to try Fish Lake.

We're going down the weekend of the 13th. I am taking my six year old son and his cousin with my dad, and my 4 year old daughter as well.

I'm really looking forward to fishing there, I've heard it's a lot of fun.

Any tips or techniques would be appreciated. I'm not asking for your honey hole or anything, just anyone willing to help out with someone who has no experience fishing that lake. Thanks in advance.
[signature]
Depends on what you want to catch, but if you're looking to get the young kids some fast action I would suggest fishing a weed line for perch. They hit on about anything and there is plenty to keep them busy for hours. If you're looking to hit up some trout I would suggest pop gear and a worm and work out form the weed lines a little ways.

Fish Lake is great, you will have a great time either way.
[signature]
Sucker meat is a great bait choice at Fish Lake.
[signature]
Bump.

A guy was telling me about trolling with pop gear. Do I need a downrigger to do that? I am planning on putting a downrigger on this boat eventually, but it has some rod holders already installed.

Would I want to get a pole with some leaded line to do that or can you just let 100 feet of fishing line out and go from there?

Tips appreciated, never fished at Fish Lake before. I'm familiar with vertical jigging and stuff, but have never trolled much.
[signature]
I have done it with mono. place one to two size 1 sinkers (yes they are big) on your line then attach the popgear. The sinkers will act like the lead line and get it down where you want it.
[signature]
If you can get a downrigger I would highly recommend it. Popgear is a great way to catch rainbows there and a lot of people are successful trolling it with leadcore. If you have a downrigger, your potential to catch lake trout and splake increases quite a bit. I like to troll redside shiners near the bottom in 60-70 FOW. Also trolling Rapalas,Luckycrafts, and flatfish down that deep can produce some quality fish.
Hope it helps
[signature]
If you have access to a leadcore setup it will do fairly well, it won't get you down to 60' but it will likely get you to where the fish are... Start letting out 3 or 4 colors and if you're not finding fish keep letting out another color until you find them... I like using RMT dodgers and squid to troll at 1.4 mph, tip the squid with gulp maggots and put some smelly stuff on the lures, it seems to warm them up...

I personally hate putting weight on mono filament it gets all twisted and you can't feel the fish, it works but it's not much fun... Water temps are cooling the fish may start to come up to shallower water soon... Even if you do get the riggers, I like to have a leadcore setup... Seems like that pole catches more fish than all my other rigs in the boat... Again it's not as much fun as a light line on a down rigger for catching the fish, because it's heavy and sucks up some of the fun, but it gives you numbers if you're looking to catch fish... Later J
[signature]
Where are you staying? I'll be there over the weekend in one of the cabins at Fish Lake Lodge. My daughter and I have fished there a lot and do quite well. Maybe we can meet up.
[signature]
I appreciate all the replys and help.

I ended up getting some dipsy divers and trolling those around with pop gear and flashers. We caught about 14 rainbows of various sizes doing that with wedding rings and squids, it was kind of fun because I've never fished like that.

My kids caught a mess of perch. They are aggressive even on lures that I think would be too big for them to take. I caught one splake about 3 lb vertical jigging.

Fun trip. We enjoyed ourselves, and the kids had fun. Thanks for all the help!
[signature]