Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
places to fish from a floattube
[Smile]I am new to the area and am trying to find good places to launch my floattube and fish for anything that will bite. I have fished Cottonwood Cove from shore with only a few bites. I would like to fish Lake Mead as it is closer to home.Any suggestions would be greatly apprieciated.Thanks in advance.
[signature]
hey BigE, welcome to the nevada board !

I'm sure one of us can figure out a couple places for you to float tube without getting run down by those striper boats . .

have you tried near the overton arm?

sm
[signature]

Hey there BigE,

Nice to see another tuber on the boards. I'm your neighbor over here in California and offer you a big welcome to BFT and good luck on hooking up with fellow floatie friends.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]Thanks southernman! I have never been at lake mead. I have seen it , but never on or in the water. My brother-in-law belongs to a bass club out here in henderson and fishes all over lake mead and mojave but from a bass boat. He can tell me the best spots for largemouth bass but they are further than I care to kick in a day. I would like to find an area that I could launch and kick to hook up with a striper. I think that would be a great ride!
[signature]
[cool]Thanks JapanRon! I have seen some of your posts at baytubers.com. I have fished cherry beach and belmont shores a couple of times. Never got a legal halibut there. Had to get my first legal in huntington harbor a month ago, a 26.5 incher, while visiting the folks. I'm sure that a striper will give a good ride in the tube as a big halibut. Thanks again and tight lines.
[signature]
first of all you need some maps . .heres the best site ive been turned onto (by nighthawk)

[url "http://www.nps.gov/lame/maps.html"]http://www.nps.gov/lame/maps.html[/url]

because of the way stripers school and are constantly on the move hunting the baitfish schools, you never know where they are going to be one day to the next , , , but there are lots of coves you could float tube at . . .

I'm sure some of the other cats on this board have some ideas .. .

sm
[signature]
[cool]Thanks for the info on the website southern. I'll check it out.
[signature]
[crazy]Sorry southernman, Ishould proof read my typing before sending it.
[signature]
no problem BigE, you can also edit your posts after you send it . . .thats what the 'edit' link by your posts are for . . they thought of everything!

sm
[signature]
Welcome BigE,
One place I've wanted to take my little raft is Echo Bay. I have read previous posts and posts from other sites that say they get Largemouth and Striper but their in boats. From the maps it looks big enough you could really spend a lot of time fishing it. But, small enough to paddle around and get off if the wind kicks up. Since you're new to the lake I should tell you that the wind and Lake Mead can be a bad mixture. I have seen 3 1/2 to 4' waves out in open waters and it doesn't take much wind.

Take care,
[signature]
[cool]Thanks Nu2Fishagain! I'll check it out on the maps. And I have seen the wind,at least here in henderson,and how hard it blows. I can only imagine what the lake looks like.
[signature]
Welcome BigE to the Nevada Boards. I hope you like what you see and will post some of your adventures here.
[signature]
and make sure you hit the 'float tubing' board here on bft, its a great forum and theres some great guys there . . .

sm
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Hi BigE![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Welcome to BFT. At first I thought you were my nephew who we call the Big E also! [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]During late summer and early fall you can carry a tube down the hill from the parking area pull out and drop down into hole 33 area on Lake Mead. That is a very popular place for striper boil fishing. I've also seen shore anglers doing pretty good there too with bait. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I've seen pontoons and tubes both, intermixed with the boats all fishing for stipers. There are guys here more knowledgable about specific of striper fishing than me but hopefully you'll be able to pull down a map, see where hole 33 is and find the pull out on the road just above it. Good luck![/size][/font]
[signature]
that area bear lake mack is talking about 'hole 33' is one of the first spots you'll come to when going across lake mead rd (I-215 east) . . you get on I-215 east in vegas, and it runs into the lake . .. went by it twice today

sm
[signature]

Hi there BigE,

Keep on truckin' er...........floatin'! Don't be a stranger! I been doin' the 3/4 day thing recently.

JapanRon
[signature]
I'd work some of the bigger coves. It'll give you cover from the wind and if the access is good a great place to launch. Lake Mead is so big you almost have to work different coves until you find a good spot and what's working, but you could probable find out that from your brother.

Good luck
[signature]
[Smile]Hey there BigE. Hi and welcome to the BFT message boards. Please drop us a line on the float tubing board as well. I am looking forward to reading about your fishing trips. Happy fishing.[cool]
[signature]
[size 2]Fellow Huntington Harbor tuber here, I also have caught some nice legal halibut there. Got alittle ride but not to bad![shocked][laugh][/size]
[signature]
[cool]Thanks bearlakemack! I'll check that place out on the map. It sounds as though there can be some decent action there.
[signature]