Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass @ Deer Creek
I work at the base of Provo Canyon, so I occasionally will head up early and smack a few smallies before work. Tuesday was no different. I just walked the rocky shoreline at Wallsburg, throwing flies mostly. (did catch a few on Maniac Cut'r Bugs as well) Man, the water is low.

Normally I wouldn't bother posting about this trip, but a few things stuck out that I wanted to share. Yes, I caught a bunch of small SMB, but there were TONS of Largemouth cruising the shallows. I mean, within 1 to 4 feet off the bank, and they wouldn't spook. I saw literally hundreds of juvenile LMB (4 to 8 inches) and maybe 30 or 40 bigger fish. They were in the water and who really knows how big they were, but I'll take the easy out and say that they were all over 12" -- some over 15". It didn't matter what I tried, I couldn't get them to bite. It was fun, but terribly frustrating.

It took me a while to figure out the smallies as well, but one of them spit out a crawdad while I was unhooking him and I realized I was using the wrong color. It was dark olive with bright orange stripes running along its sides and claws. I also had one spit out what appeared to be a baby bluegill, but who knows.

I only took one picture of one MONSTER that I hooked:

[Image: SMB_zpsf02e09b2.jpg]

I also stumbled upon a big clump of old/dead/used to be submerged crap on the shoreline, and lo!

[Image: TD_zpsf5233bc6.jpg]

I know the guy that makes those...

So, does anyone know why the LMB were cruising the shallows, not caring if I was there?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Bass stay where the groceries be. And that be either small crawdads or the fry of any other species. There are quite a few fry of both green sunfish and crappies that gather in the backs of protected bays...and the big hungries show up for the feed.

When I fished Walsburg from my tube a couple of weeks ago I saw a couple of "boils" where bass were chasing baby panfish right up into the rocks. And a seagull would swoop down to grab a couple before they flopped back into the water. The food chain exemplified.

PS...that is why those small silvery poppers work so well early in the morning.

PS #2...That jiggy thing does look sorta familiar. Probably one lost by TubeBabe. I didn't lose any on my last trip. But there are a couple of other wobble jig fans that might have donated.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Not one of mine either.

I'm pretty protective with those things.

Don't know what I would do if one ever gets snagged. [Wink]
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
"Don't know what I would do if one ever gets snagged."

[#0000FF]I know the guy that makes them. Might be able to get you a deal.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
And some therapy for the separation anxiety? [Smile]
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
[#0000FF]Maybe. More difficult if the loss occurs during a peak bite and if there is going to be a lot of time between the loss and the therapy.

No need for shock treatments or lobotomies. Anglers are already operating in post-treatment ranges already.

Just snort a couple lines of Smelly Jelly and call me in the morning...unless I am fishing.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000ff]Maybe. More difficult if the loss occurs during a peak bite and if there is going to be a lot of time between the loss and the therapy.

No need for shock treatments or lobotomies. Anglers are already operating in post-treatment ranges already.

Just snort a couple lines of Smelly Jelly and call me in the morning...unless I am fishing.
[/#0000ff][/quote]

Yes DR. TD !!!!![:p][:p][:p][:p]
[signature]