Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish and game ticket question.
So I was fishing at Floyd lamb using anchovies. Had no clue it was illegal fish and game gave me a good lesson with a 200 dollar ticket first offense. My question after reading I was in the wrong can you go to court and at least get a ticket like this reduced? If you go to a judge can you actually talk pull your liscenes history for 3 states to prove your not a asshole outdoors man and put in the money respect wild life?
[signature]
Dang, that sucks man. Makes no sense, you can use hot dogs, cheese, live worms, salmon eggs, but no dead chovies...

I assume that if you go to court, plead guilty and explain your case, the judge should lower your fine a bit.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
[signature]
I brought this up back in June cause I read a report from the urban ponds saying that people were catching catfish using anchovies

here's the link to the report that I copied from the website. its really misleading [fishon]

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...74;#826474
[signature]
I would absolutely be printing that from the NDOW website with clear banners and take along the url for the judge. Just let them know that you were following the fishing report listed right NDOWs page. Very misleading IMO. They should dismiss or severely reduce the fine if they are putting that sort of information out on there website. [mad]
[signature]
[quote vegaskid]I would absolutely be printing that from the NDOW website with clear banners and take along the url for the judge. Just let them know that you were following the fishing report listed right NDOWs page. Very misleading IMO. They should dismiss or severely reduce the fine if they are putting that sort of information out on there website. [mad][/quote]

I second that.
[signature]
Thank you guys for the input. I will definitely try to find that fishing report. I agree its pretty dumb I can use shrimp hot dogs cheese that have preservatives in them but not frozen dead fish.
[signature]
Don't use shrimp! I saw a guy get a citation for using shrimp at Sunset Park about two weeks ago. The NDOW officer said anything that was considered a fish product, except salmon eggs, can't be used in the urban ponds. Something about potential diseases and parasites being transferred to the ponds.

On a different note, where does your citation say to appear if you want to dispute the citation? Is it at the Regional Justice Center? Or some where else?
[signature]
Hopefully that guy fights it. I asked the warden and he said shrimp are fine because they are crustation not a fish and I know I've seen in the fishing reports to use shrimp. And its Henderson court on water street. The reason I was given from the warden is the ponds don't clean themselves.
[signature]
Here is what NDOW posted today.

[url "http://www.ndow.org/Fish/Fishing_Report/Southern_Nevada/"]http://www.ndow.org/Fish/Fishing_Report/Southern_Nevada/[/url]
URBAN PONDSAll ponds are scheduled to receive a load of channel catfish this week. NDOW has received many calls recently about legal baits to use for the catfish. The use of any part of a fish, alive or dead, is prohibited. Shrimp, hotdogs, chicken gizzards and corn are all legal; but anchovies are not legal in the urban ponds.
[signature]
Go to court. I pretty much guarantee the judge will drop the case.

Way back I honestly didn't understand the law about how many fish you can catch per day, and have in your possession. We were in Sunny Side for a week and thought it was ok to catch 10 fish per day and keep 10 fish per day. Well the game wardens came by and check us and asked us if we had any fish frozen. I welcomed him into my toy hauler and showed him the 42 trout I had all bagged and ready to serve.

There were 2 game wardens there and the one I actually knew from Ely. He wouldn't of sited us, but his buddy was in charge. He wrote me a 245.00 ticket. I showed up in court and just was honest and said I really didn't understand the law, and was very sorry.

He said, don't do it again, case closed.
[signature]
[quote troutmanlv]Hopefully that guy fights it. I asked the warden and he said shrimp are fine because they are crustation not a fish and I know I've seen in the fishing reports to use shrimp. And its Henderson court on water street. The reason I was given from the warden is the ponds don't clean themselves.[/quote]

Floyd Lamb is City of Las Vegas, I don't understand why he cited you into Henderson Court, completely different jurisdiction. If he cited you to the wrong court, it will most likely be thrown out anyway.

Most of the time when you go to court on a traffic or even misdemeanor citation, the DA will offer you a deal, unless your a problem child. The crime while a misdemeanor is still very low on the grand scheme of things.
Cacoon
[signature]
The game wardens are Nevada Department of wildlife. So they have jurisdiction over the enforcement of the wildlife regulations throughout the whole state. The OP ticket says Henderson because that is where the administrative law judge for this area is located. So long story short, game wardens have jurisdiction to enforce the wildlife regulations where ever.
[signature]
Ok that make sense. I knew they were State level LE. But unlike NHP they cite in to city of jurisdiction as does Metro. If Metro writes a ticket in Henderson or anywhere in the county you cite in the court of jurisdiction you are in Henderson must be where they have a judge that listens to their cases. Thanks I learn something new each day.
Cacoon
[signature]
That's a bad rap, for sure. Do as others have stated and bring in the report and url and just explain honestly as you have to us. I'd imagine it would be dismissed. NDOW should do some work to ensure continuity in their public relations.
[signature]
Just saw this on Nevada Fish Reports facebook page.

"September 27, 2013

All Las Vegas Ponds are scheduled to receive a load of channel catfish this week.
by Nevada Department of Wildlife

NDOW has received many calls recently about legal baits to use for the catfish. The use of any part of a fish, alive or dead, is prohibited. Shrimp, hotdogs, chicken gizzards and corn are all legal; but anchovies are not legal in the urban ponds.

Nevada Department of Wildlife
Nevada Department of Wildlife
Carson City, NV
(800) 576-1020"
[signature]
Well after having to go in once to even schedule a day then breaking my ankle and having to reschedule I went today and charges were dropped. The DA was really nice about it.Thanks for all your input.
[signature]
I'm glad it worked out ok, hope your ankle heals well. Thank you for updating.
[signature]
Dang poachers! They shoulda threw the book at you! Just kidding. Wanna catch fish when you're healed?
[signature]
Ha ha depends on if you call that bass fish ha ha
[signature]