Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to Fishing in Texas
Hi! I am new to fishing but am eager to learn. I am in South Texas with the gulf at my disposal so I am thinking I am going to be saltwater fishing. I am ready to fish but have no idea what pole or bait to use. Can you help? Since I am a novice I want to start with the basics and work myself up. I am a single mom of a 7 year old and would like to learn so that I can share this time with him. Thanks!<br><br>
Mom and son fishing; "gotta love ya" <br><br>A good source may be found at your local county 4-H Extension. The counties you live in should have all the fishing information you will want to read about. They may even have a fishing club that you can enroll your son in. <br><br>The best thing about 4-H clubs is that parents are encouraged to participate with all activities, making it a family club.<br><br>If you are able to find a club you will gain a valuable hands on experience.<br><br>From my experiences here in Michigan I have found that children boys and girls alike love fishing and will appreciate every moment you devote to them in this activity for years to come.<br><br><br>[cool] “Don’t forget to wiggle your jig.” davetclown
Thanks for your reply. I also live in Corpus Christi, Texas. If possible may my son, Michael and I, come to one of your fishing outings and see what you are all about. I am very new at fishing. I have basically no equipment but am going to buy some soon and am eager to learn. Team Oso looks like a very positive group my son and I would like to be a part of. Maybe we can just come and watch the first time. Is that possible? Thanks!<br><br>
Sonia,<br>I have been keeping tabs on your post and all of the replies are good. I have some other sugestions that will help you find what you are looking for. Plan a day to just explore on Podre and Mustang Island. Just take N.A.S. drive out to Padre Island When you get to route 361 turn left and follow it to Port Aransas. It is a small fishing town on the north end of the island. There you will find most of the answers you are loking for. The population is around 2050 with the relaxed life style every one wants. I dout you will find any more friendly people that will answer your questions. It only takes about 30-45 minnits to get there and there is plenty to see and do. 3 piers, the jetty, and charter boats. There is plenty of places to eat and just relax. There is a tackle shop on the left as you come in to town. The name is Billmore's, they always know how the fishing is and what the best baits are. most of your needs and info can be found there. Just stop by and ask. Port Aransas is my home away from home. I do live in OHIO but I will return to Port A. in April 2003 for good. Just take the time to visit 1 day and you will be hooked. The first week end of April they will have a festival. It is the SANDFEST. Lot's of activity with some of the worlds best sand sculpture builders in atendance and compeating for the prizes. One of them was on Regis last week when they wer in Bermuda. Her name is Sandy Feet. Not her real name but what she is known as. If you want more info just send me an E-mail an I can give you some good links for Port A. and the SANDFEST.<br>Just click on my screen name and it will take you to my profile and you will find my E-mail address.<br><br>Texas gulf cost fisher.
Hi Sonia, I hope that you have started fishing already. SPI has the Coastal Studies Lab... you must see! I try going fishing down at the flats and at holly beach. However, at this time I haven't caught anything recently. maria Sftcarmel@hotmail.com<br><br>Think nice thoughts.