Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle perch search results....
First of all, Weather.com is full of crap. It was only supposed to be max 5 mph winds, it was easily double that.
I fished all of my spots and lost some good tackle. Not a single perch was brought to the boat. I did miss some fish I did not see but am certain they were smallies by the way they hit.
Caught rainbows and smallies on accident but am really bummed I couldn't find the little striped devils.
My fish fry will have to wait for another day.

On a side note, check out this months 'In Fisherman' magazine. Pray that with Yuba's new management plan we can get back to some of these size of perch in the next few years!
[signature]
"Not a single perch was brought to the boat."

[#0000FF]Any married ones?

Sorry about the downer. I too have less than a confident feeling about Weather.com. More often wrong than right.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Well thats too bad Shane, I know they are there, they must have heard you were coming and went into hiding[Wink]. As far a weather reports go, we were listening to KSL and it said rain all day, where we were going hunting, so we decided to wait until tomorrow, well today turned out ok but now they are saying tomorrow it will rain[crazy].
[signature]
I don't care if they are married, gay, or just want to experiment. Any perch is invited to party on my boat!!!
[signature]
I use the ksl weather app. I like it more than weather.com
[signature]
[quote SBennett]I don't care if they are married, gay, or just want to experiment. Any perch is invited to party on my boat!!![/quote]

[#0000FF]"Rainbow" perch?[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I kind of like the NOAA.gov site for weather, they are usually closer for point locations, but they still miss predictions like all weather forecasters... I use their data, with the intellicast radar and satellite images and helps me get a pretty good guess...

I'm still trying to see what you guys like so much about perch... They eat okay but I can't see complaining about small mouths like they are trash fish compared to perch... Now I guess the smallies I've been catching are larger than perch size but they sure seem to be a blast to catch and in my mind taste every bit as good as perch if not better... Not that I'm eating a lot of them, but I've sure enjoyed the few I have. Now I must admit I haven't caught many perch over 10" so maybe that's why I'm tainted, but to me perch are fun to play with, but not a serious fish to covet... What am I missing? J
[signature]
[#0000FF]How do you describe the taste of salt to someone who has never tasted salt?

Most of us perch hounds have fished for many species but still harbor a fondness for perch. Ditto for bluegills and even small smallies. It ain't so much about the size. It is more a matter of first having to hunt them down...finding the fish. Then it becomes a matter of figuring them out. They are members of the same family as walleyes. True, they have a reputation of being easy to catch...and they are under some conditions. But not always.

What keeps most of us going back for more abuse is the memory of trips on which we caught large numbers of large perch...footlongs or bigger. If you catch them on light tackle they put up a pretty good scrap. Some of the bigguns will actually pull a little line off the reel against the drag.

Because perch are usually prolific and reproduce well enough to sustain some harvest they are a good fish for folks who like to bring home a large batch for a fish fry. They are easy to fillet
and there ain't many fish that are any better on the table.

During the years before more Utahns took off the "trout blinders" and deigned to pursue non trout species, perch were considered trash fish and were often thrown up on the bank to feed the wildlife. These days there are arguably more folks who would rather eat perch than trout. And a whole lot of us who would rather fish for perch.

Us humans are creatures of habit and we usually develop our own preferences and styles based upon what we have been "learned" by others and by what is locally available...when it comes to fishing. The dink perch in Newton and Hyrum could hardly be expected to get anybody excited about perch jerkin'. But a few trips to Starvation...or Yuba, Deer Creek, Rockport or Echo...during the good times...would help alter your opinions.

In the meantime, take advantage of what you got and keep an open mind.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I will keep the open mind that's for sure. Your catfish cooking tips brought me around on them, but I guess not knowing the good times and being a poor filleter to me perch have been more work than they have been worth. But I will keep trying them when I find them. Not going to keep any smaller than 8 or 9" though. I did bake up a batch with cheez it crackers as a breading and they were good. Later J
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000ff]. But a few trips to Starvation...or Yuba, Deer Creek, Rockport or Echo...during the good times...would help alter your opinions.

[/#0000ff][/quote]

+1 I couldn't have said it better myself.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000ff]. But a few trips to Starvation...or Yuba, Deer Creek, Rockport or Echo...during the good times...would help alter your opinions.

[/#0000ff][/quote]

+1 I couldn't have said it better myself.
[signature]
[#502800]Perch Scampi ....... Yum.[/#502800]
[signature]
You'll have to show me or provide a recipe next time I find a few. J
[signature]