Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Lake Powell trip to remember!
Lake Powell is my favorite place in the state so this summer I decided to plan a fall fishing trip. This wouldn't be a normal Lake Powell trip though. I planned on surprising my girlfriend by asking her to be my fishing buddy for life. She is pretty incredible and I decided that she was a keeper!

After stressing about the government shutdown for over a week, I decided to revert to plan B, Sand Hollow. I was bummed about the whole situation but right before we left, we got word that Utah was funding the National Park Service. Unsure if Powell was included or not, we decided to take a chance and head for Bullfrog. We pulled up to the gate Friday evening and they let us right in to launch! We were the ninth boat on the lake but it seemed like we had it all to ourselves!

Fishing success was pretty good for us. We got about ten stripers, two largemouth, ten catfish, and more smallmouth than we could count. The best part was my girl caught more fish than I did! I knew I picked a winner.

[Image: IMAG0662_zps951b5d16.jpg]
First fish Saturday morning.

[Image: IMAG0664_zps0cbc1496.jpg]
Her striper. She wanted a big striper but kept getting catfish!

[Image: IMAG0669_1_zps8fde90d6.jpg]
Beautiful View.

[Image: IMAG0670_1_zps128d7ef3.jpg]
Biggest bass i've ever caught.

[Image: IMAG0663_zpsc3238e21.jpg]
Sunday morning right before I asked her. My dog loves fish if you can't tell.

[Image: 20131013_085713_zps92476f64.jpg]
The view where I asked her.

[Image: 20131013_100118_zps64902eb4.jpg]
We were both looking a little rough after tenting two nights but happy as can be.

[Image: IMAG0674_zpsf3845384.jpg]
Is she showing off her ring or her fish?

[Image: IMAG0677_zps31ed780b.jpg]
Her largemouth.

[Image: IMAG0682_1_zpsc7d2e8c1.jpg]
Great memories on these rocks.
[signature]
Congrats on both the great trip and the future wife!!!
[signature]
Awesome trip! Glad you weren't stuck at Sand Hollow for the big moment. The only thing you were lacking were walleye. Smile
[signature]
Congratulations looks like it was a good trip all around. Since she fishes you found a keeper for sure.
[signature]
congrats..nothing like the bigwater
[signature]
Congrats on the fish and the keeper!
[signature]
Congratulations on getting engaged! You lucked out finding a gal that will camp and fish with you.

You posted some nice pictures of your fish and the surrounding views of the lake. It looks like the lower water level is exposing some good rocky habitat for the fish. Cool.

Can't wait to get back down to Powell.
[signature]
Congratulations, but now your fishing costs have doubled......

They're still checking for invasive species aren't they?
[signature]
Thanks everyone! It is so nice to have someone that enjoys and puts up with my fishing addiction.

They are checking for AIS and they were thorough. Our boat had got some rainwater in it on the way down and even though it's been out of the water since July 4th, they flushed and cleaned it for us.
[signature]
Is she left handed, or just real happy with the ring? Congrats!!!
[signature]
Best post I think I ever read!!!! Good on both of you.
[signature]
Congrats to you. I found an idea for a Christmas Present for you to give her
http://tightlinesjewelry.com/shop/twist-and-trout
[signature]
Looks like a great time, Did you get any big striper??

And how old is your fishing dog, I have one but it is only 4 months old..
[signature]
[quote wyoguy]Is she left handed, or just real happy with the ring? Congrats!!![/quote]

I think she is just real excited about the ring. Smile

[quote GEEZER]Best post I think I ever read!!!! Good on both of you.[/quote]

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

[quote flygoddess]Congrats to you. I found an idea for a Christmas Present for you to give her [/quote]

That is pretty cool, I'll have to keep it in mind!

[quote bassrods]Looks like a great time, Did you get any big striper??

And how old is your fishing dog, I have one but it is only 4 months old..[/quote]

We caught about 3 stripers in the 20 inch range. All stripers but two were healthy. The 2 skinny ones had their backbone sticking out really far and their meat seemed more like blubber than a firm meat. I hope they are ok to eat.

The fishing dog just turned 5 years old and has more energy than ever. He will climb over anything just to try to bite a fish. He even jumped off the boat into the water when a fish jumped.
[signature]