Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great day at the View 10/17/13
Ira and I were fishing in the Narrows at Pineview today, I caught a small crappie and as I was reeling it up I felt a hard tug, I thought it was strange, so I looked over the side of the boat and there was this tiger musky with the crappie in his mouth. The musky dove deep and the crappie came out of it's mouth, bummer but as I looked at the crappie floating up the tiger came back and grabbed it again, it dove again and then I saw the crappie floating up again, I thought it was over but but some stroke of luck the little crappie jig came loose and lodged in the corner of the tigers mouth. The battle went back and forth for 10 minutes or more before we finally got it in the little crappie net I had but of course it was not over. I had it to the net 3 more times before Ira almost had to jump in the water to get the fish in the boat. It was totally amazing that the 6 lb test did not break. We took a pic measured it and back in the water it went. It was one tired fish and it took a few minutes to get it going again but it finally swam away to fight another day. That made my day but we did catch 12 to 15 crappie, a perch and a few mud cats. Around 1pm the wind came up and we left.
[inline "pineviewtiger10-17-13 001.jpg"]
Met TubeDude and RockyRaab as we were heading to the narrows, then Triton21 and Perchski(sp?) came by a little after I caught my tiger, good to see all you guys again and meet you Perchski. Lots of folks there today, talked to an old guy as we were leaving today, he will be 94 tomorrow, he and his son launched their boat and went out to the docks and just stayed there and fished. I was amazed, this guy told his son he wanted to came back out and fish on his birthday tomorrow[cool].
WH2
[signature]
Awesome report! Sounds like you guys had a good day! I've got to admit, I think that's the first time I've ever seen anyone lip a tiger musky! And I though bass thumb was bad!
[signature]
Yea, it worried me a little but the glove saved me, plus with the water temp at 53* and the fish being tired, it did not move around much, lucky for me[crazy]
[signature]
Sweet! How deep were the panfish? Were you fishing near the bottom?
[signature]
Sounds like you guys did better than TD. Nice tiger, way to go.
[signature]
The ones we were catching were 20 to 30 ft deep. Yes, we dropped down to the bottom, then reeled up a few inches.
[signature]
Thanks
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]Sounds like you guys did better than TD. Nice tiger, way to go.[/quote]

Way to rub it in[Tongue] Awesome report guys!
[signature]
[quote flygoddess][quote albinotrout]Sounds like you guys did better than TD. Nice tiger, way to go.[/quote]

Way to rub it in[Tongue] Awesome report guys![/quote]

[cool]
[signature]
You could have at least had the decency to fight the fish another 30 minutes & include me & Chad in the background. Nice meeting you today. We'll see ya' on the ice in a few months.
[signature]
Nice looking fish, looks like we were just a couple minutes late. we never did get any big smallies today but the crappie were active for awhile.
[signature]
If you don't mind me asking wiperhunter2 what were you using for lures or bait and how were you fishing it? I have never fished for crappie or perch before but was thinking a trip to pineview this weekend was in order. Just looking for a few pointers on what to use and how to increase my odds on going after some fish I have never fished before. Thanks in advance.
[signature]
Try using plastic jigs. White and chartreuse are two great colors for pineview.
[signature]
[#0000FF]You are SOOOOOOO busted. Admitting to the use of live bait on a public forum.

Definitely not the first time an angler on Pineview has had a perch or crappie suddenly "gain weight". But usually the tiger either gets the "bait" off the hook or bites the line. You done good.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Well to tell the truth, I was using one of TubeDude's creations called a bait bug, he hand ties them and the colors are awesome. I'm sure you can send him a PM and get all the details but I'll try and post a Pic of the one I was using later.
[signature]
I talked with the 94-yo as well. I pedaled over to give them the rest of my live bait as I was leaving. They also had a "sudden hard tug" from a crappie-eating tiger. Not for long, they said, grinning.

I caught fish both a worm pieces (on one of TD's bladed jigs) and also on a 1" Gulp Alive minnow on a Chartreuse tube jig. I swear, you have to almost hide behind a tree to tie one of those things on. The fish LOVE them.
[signature]
I was wondering when someone would mention something about live bait[Wink] but really, you are sooo right, the chances of hooking a tiger like that are so rare, it was amazing to even think about, then for the hook to be in the corner of it's mouth, not around the teeth, is a once in a life time thing, imo. One more thing happened that had upped the odds against the fish not going in the boat, in all the times we missed it, as it came to the little net, the line got tangled around its gill plate and I kept telling Ira that that was going to cut the line but luck was on my side for once and with the skill of the netter being the most important factor the big fish got a photo op before he went back to his watery home.
Good times for sure, now if my luck will just hold for one more day, I'm hoping to get a deer tomorrow and that will round out my year[Smile].
[signature]
[#0000FF]Here's a pic of some of the better colors. I make them with short tails...designed to be used with bait. I also make them with glow for ice fishing.

[inline "ROUND HEAD BAIT BUGS.jpg"]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]I've known of a couple of "anglers" who deliberately raise and lower hooked perch into the "danger zone" on Pineview...and on Jordanelle (for smallies). They have their defense prepared in advance...claiming that even though it is illegal to use live bait there are no laws that dictate how fast you have to reel in a hooked small perch.

[inline "BIG FISH LITTLE JIG.jpg"]

I also hooked and subdued a tiger muskie in the narrows at Pineview a few years ago. But that 34 incher actually slurped in one of my small baitbugs, with a small piece of worm on it. No perch or crappie involved. You can see in the pic above that the jig is inside its mouth...and teeth.

I also caught it on 6# line (Silver Thread Excalibur) and was not cut off on the teeth. I hooked it on the bottom in 45 feet of water and once it reached the surface it jumped a couple of times. I was as surprised as the fish when I finally gripped the lower jaw with my grippers and "owned" it. Of course I resuscitated it and released it...but I din't give it a kiss first.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Nice fish!
[signature]