Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new guy
hi fellow fisher buddys, i'm new to the site and just want to say hi

i'm retired ironworker and i enjoy ice fishing very much

keep smiling[cool]
[signature]
welcome frend.

glad to have you abord, where are you cutting your holes these days?

and what do you like to target?

we have a good bunch of guys here I am sure you will enjoy your time here.

keep in touch. more often than not if you could. we like to here what is going on in the great frozen trundra....[cool]
[signature]
[Smile]Hey there ironworker, Welcome to the BFT message boards. It is always nice to have new members to learn new tricks and techniques from. I am looking forward to reading your fishing reports and advice on other questions. Have a good one and Happy Fishing.[Smile]
[signature]
hey there buddy, glad to be here

does anybody have any tips on ice fishing for tiger muskies, i haven't fished for them yet, but i would really like a crack at one of them tigers.

i do love to hunt, i'm an avid bow hunter

course i just love the out of doors to recharge my batteries

later ironworker
[signature]
the only thing I can tell you about muske is that they prefer wormer waters to cold. so if you are fishing for them in the winter through the ice. I would cncentrate in the thermal clines. in other weords you will need to find the level of water where the tempriture is at its wormest.

dropping a thermomiter and cheching the temps at different levels will give you an idea of how deep you should be fishing. through the ice, you may be fishing for them at temps where the icey water from the top has not affect on the water below. this could be any where form 5 feet from the serface to 25 feet down. depending on the winter and lake structure.

at one point the constant temp is 42* year round. the serface temps drop and rase to reflect the temps of the atmosphere and some where in between is a body of water that may not have reached the constant. yet have also not reached the friged temps from the serface radiating cold.

I have herd of early winter catches of muske through the ice, but seldom hear of any late winter catches through the ice.

the set up you would want to use the same gear that you would use for northerns.

hope the helps.
[signature]
hi ya ironworker , we have a few lakes here in central mi . that have a few of the tiger strain in them . first ya gotta have a hole big enough to gaff them thru . 10" at least . the gaff is cheaper and easier to make than buying one , plus with all your new free time you can do some carving on it while you wait for the fish to hit .
broom handle , drill two 1/4" holes an 1-1/2" apart and a three foot 1/4 steel or brass rod from the hardware .
put your first bend at the thickness of the broom handle , second bend 1-1/2 inch up from the first bend , keep the rod flat between both bends , incert into the holes with the long lenth of rod coming out the bottom hole . bend it down so it continues strait down , put another bend about 6" up and your gaff is done , it wont wabble or move .

use the biggest chub minnows you can find and a sturdy tip up in the deepest part of the lake , that tiger will find you soon .
bow hunt myself , pretty good too! do you black powder as well ?
[signature]
how are lonehunter, thanks for the advise. i have fished for northerns but i haven't done any tiger yet. how big is the biggest that you have caught.

i don't do black powder as of yet but i'm thinking of going that direction in the near future. again thanks for the tips, should come in handy.

keep smiling, later [cool]
[signature]
lake st.clare , harsens isle , 1987 . 43 lbs. and get this , i was bass fishing trolling a crawler with a hot pink blade !

a pearch took my rig and i was reeling it in when this sudden jolt bent my rod over and started to peel the line off ! it took some time getting it in and longer getting him in the boat safley . my friend kim took pics of the fish and we let it go , we wern't sure of the season on it and figured we better play it safe .

bad part of the trip was learning it would have been o.k. to keep it and we left the camera in the boat (rental ) .

but what a great time we had that day .

we have quite a few lakes that have tigers up here , we have one lake the d.n.r. has been planting in for a few years now . last year at ross lake a guy pulled in a 42 pounder in ross lake ice fishing .
[signature]
Hey ironworker! Welcome to the world of the wacko fisher-people! You're gonna love it here! From whence do you type?
[signature]
hello drowneddesertrat, how are you

i'm from utah how about yourself

just getting used to the site

keep smiling

ironworker [cool]
[signature]
There's a lot of people in the Utah forum. I'm sure you'll be able to make a new fishing buddy or two from there! I'm in the land of 10,000+ lakes.
[signature]
[cool] Welcome to BFT ironworker , just thought I drop my 2 cents worth !! I've fished the mighty muskie here in Minnesota through the ice , its a long slow day , but worth the effort !! My friend Minneman and I have gone to a lake and cut a spear hole and angled through that , not catching one , but had alot of lookers !! They say that the muskies really slow down during the ice season , but can be caught at first ice !! Even if you don't catch one , they were awsome to look at when swimming through your hole ! Good luck on your venture , and remember your camera !!!

[signature]
hey buddy, how are things.

thanks for the info, still waiting for some ice on the lake where the tigers roam. have a great holiday.

keep smiling [cool]
[signature]
[cool]Hey Ironworker nice to have you aboard. I've never had the opertunity to get a tiger but I have had northerns looking up at me a I try to pull them thru a 6" hole. what a toothie view. Took my glove off and put it in his mouth I still couldn't get him in. Lost the glove and the fish. After that I made a gaff. Keep us informed on your catch.
[signature]
hey there chiefpanfish, how's things

i have caught northerns before and you are right about a toothy grin, can't wait to go after the tigers. going after some tiger trout on saturday through the ice so we will see what happens. Thanks for the info.

keep smiling [cool]
[signature]
hey ironworker, i just wanted to say hey too. haha anyways what are tiger trout??? never heard of em. they look like a brown?? well here the only plce we got them tiger muskies is in the connecticut river. northerns walleyes too. and big. i don,t river fish. i love my brooks but i,ve caught pickeral. along the same line. but not very big. but i have fun fishin and enjoy the day and that,s all that matters anyways, and you do the same. take care on hte ice. later
[signature]
cool bet there good eatin. good size?? i thought it might be brown in there somewhere. have fun try to stay warm hha
[signature]