Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
any ice up noth?
[size 1]any ice up noth?[/size]

[font "verdana, arial, helvetica"][size 2]we have had a crust for several days now down here by pontiac. still no snow.

I am gettin the itchin for some fissin.[Image: tongue.gif][/size][/font]
[signature]
MAYBE SAFE FOR A MOUSE..THATS ABOUT IT IN THE HALE AREA
[signature]
same story here , maybe an almost 1/4 inch in the thick parts . i drive past a couple ponds and lakes on the way home from work . there's still places for the ducks to swim . [crazy]

has Swanney made a return visit yet ? i bet her room is ready and waiting [Wink] .

i guess if the itch gets to be too much there's some good pearch fishing over at the detroit river , i haven't heard much on lake st. clare yet . but any open water would be fun untill the hard stuff finally sets up . good thing you got your freeser fish to get you thru this rough period . lol !
[signature]
open water is only fun now if you are in a boat. when the water temps ar ranging 35* it is hard to stay in even if you wearing thermals under your thermals waders.

I had a pair of old rubber waders at one time that I could wear my thermal ice fishing wear in side the waders. I managed to do a lot of winter trapping in them. my gloves were 1/8 inch thick rubber and ran almost all the way up to my pits.

I checked the weather bug and see my hopes of being on the ice by the middle of this week has been shot down. we have about 3 days of above 35* temps and rain. this blows any thoughts of icefishing this week. it is suspost to drop back in to the teen at night again by the end of the week, so maybe next week some time.
[signature]
with the good news of ice forming for us fishermen will soon come the bad news too . [pirate]

our ice is almost a quarter inch thick , and yet kids were out on the lake playing around last night . the police were called and all got off safley , due to a neighbor who kept an eye out and acted on it . [cool]

as an "accidental or unintentional "member of the polar bear club i know first hand how unforgiving thin ice can be . i can't wait to get the ice rod out there but i think i'm gonna refresh my memory first on those ice saftey tips you have posted . [Wink]
[signature]
that is what they are there for.

It is always a good idea to refresh you saftey facts before venturing on the ice every year and some times before every trip.

you can never be to safe on ice even if it is a foot thick.

take this time to inspect all your fishing gear, from clothing to the bucket you sit on and every thihng that goes in the bucket. make sure you have a laminated check list perminantly attached to your bucket to check off before every trip.

this will help you to travle light and keep all the safty items on hand during every trip

well now look at what you have done, I have to add this to the tip post... lol

needs a little work but I will post it as a diamond in the rough and polish it later.
[signature]
I made the polar bear club about 10 years ago, someone moved a shanty that they were spearing out of and didnt mark it, they moved and i went in, after that i took 2 phillips screwdrivers and i cut the handle off, then i drilled 4 holes into a wooden dowel and put the screwdriver tip in the wooden dowel, then i used gorrilla glue to glue them in, then i attached a rope with a eyehook attached to the other end, then the other two holes i put the ends of the screwdriver tips in so i dont get poked. when i walk out on the ice i have the setup around my neck so if i do fall in i use it like a pick to pull myself out...
[signature]
i took the same steps after my dip too , i didn't want to go thru that experiance again .

on the way home i pass a few lakes , there's two ponds on oppisite sides of the road . one is a natural pond the other is an old sand quarry that is spring fed . the ice colors are different . black colored ice in the pond (5-7 acers ) and a lime green color on the quarry pond (same size ).

the regular lakes are between a dark blue color to an almost white color of ice .

i wonder if anyone has done any tests to see if one type of water made a stronger ice than another ?
[signature]
It is a well known fact that the cleaner the water is the stronger the ice will be.

we did the in a highschool lab. our mediums were one gallon milk jugs used as flask [ul] [li]clear tap water (unpurified/no salt)[/li] [li]salt water (a pinch of road salt which is the closest to natural salt found in the environment)[/li] [li]pete (black dirt from the bottom of a lake)[/li] [li]sand recular off the bottom of the lake[/li] [li]flower (all perpous, no yeast soda or other riseing agents)[/li] [li]one with a fish aquarium bubbler simmilar to those used in cenerated by a DC power unit wired out side of the freezer.[/li][/ul]

Our test ran 6 hours of freezing. we had seven class per day. the first class at the beginning of the class plased the materials in a flask. each with its own properties. and shaken to the point of emulsion of all materials. including the one with no additives.

7 trays were prepared. each containing a sample flask of each senario.

we had 6 teams one for each medium.

each flask was placed in a walk in freeser at a controlled temp of 32*

exactly one hour intervals one tray with the controled mediums were taken out and tested. for hardness.

each team of each class had a sample to to pull from the freeser and make a report of their findings.

the final being exatly 24 hours of freezing temps.

I wont boar any one with the results of the samples,

I will give you the results of the testing as a whole and they remained the same through the entire test.

at the end of 24 hours the lids were removed and droped from the top of a 10 foot step latter. frose or not. [ul] [li]clear tap water (unpurified/no salt) nearly busted the milk jug during freesing prossess, for the most part stayed together.[/li] [li]salt water (a pinch of road salt which is the closest to natural salt found in the environment) frose but was weekand crushed on impact. [/li] [li]pete (black dirt from the bottom of a lake) never frose solid (like a slushy drink)[/li] [li]sand recular off the bottom of the lake froze solid[/li] [li]flower (all perpous, no yeast soda or other riseing agents) frose but not solid[/li] [li]one with a fish aquarium bubbler simmilar to those used in cenerated by a DC power unit wired out side of the freezer. never forze[/li][/ul]
[signature]
the anxwer man dose it again !

thats pretty ingenious how you picked the different types gf water to use and the method of testing .

as i recall , lake erie ice was always a little slushey when drilling thru it and on some of these clear lakes up here it's like drilling thru granite .

pretty neet that in our sport that so many dufferent fields of science study come into play .
[signature]
fireman dave was out on ross lake this weekend , he said it was a little scarry , you could feel the ice heave as you walked , and when the augre broke thru pressure cracks appeared everywhere ! not good ,and not worth the risk , he said . he did catch a few fish , enough for a meal .
[signature]
forgot to mention , it rained from last night around 6pm and it's still drissiling outside . definatly no good ice now !
[signature]
all that rain melted the snow , freesing temps now , hey , we'll have solid ice now ! if that snow would have frose it would have been a little scary .
[signature]