Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mead 10-26-13
Different... After one month of not being on the water is the only description I can say about the day. Completely opposite of what I saw Sept 28th/the last time I was out. Actually I have never seen it like this since we got a boat a little over 2 years ago.

ZERO bait anywhere up north. Both of my sonars were so clean I was starting to wonder if not turning them on for a month killed 'em. Never seen it so clean. Zero bait balls and never came across any Stripers. Very few fish seen on either sonar all day and I put 40 miles on the boat running around from spot to spot.

There is still bass around but on the tough side to catch/find. Nothing like winter but still the last two years this exact time of the year we were still catching them left and right.

Water temp at lauch/most of the day was 67. Up into the lower 70s later in the day in the back of coves.

Madi took the lead fast on top water right off the bat but in the end we only got 5 on top water before our first spot dried up. From then on it was a challenge to find anything. We went several hours before we caught another and for a weird twist cranking wasn't it at all. This time of the year is HUGE for cranking and it just wasn't happening. They were shallow and with the huge lake turnover happening right now it just wasn't worth the hassle to be casting cranks and dragging in weeds every cast.

For Madi the Spinnerbait was the ticket and to be different I was using a swimming jig. That was about it the rest of the day in 2-4 feet of water and in the brush/shallow flat back cove areas.

In the end we caught 26 and I regained and held the lead for the day with 15 of them and the biggest. One nice fatty between 3 and 3.5lbs. One smallie and the rest LMB.

The fish are healthy and fat. No idea what in the heck they eating though. No bait visible even in the shallows with good water clarity.
[signature]
All the bait was down in the spot I found near Callville Bay. I have never seen that many shad all together in my life.

Looked like bait balls of anchovies and sardines.
[signature]
That's weird I went out on Thursday and got 34 fish in the boat from 6am till 11. All on square bills in coves north of echo. a good mix of small and bigmouth.
As for what they are eating Im sure they are gorging on crawdads. I brought a few in that had claws sticking out of their throats. But no shad around at all... Big fish was a bucketmouth that was bout 3.5lbs and they all had fat bellys!!!
[signature]
I have yet to see a living crawdad in Lake Mead. I have cleaned stripers and found them in there bellies.
[signature]
April & May at Crawdad cove, just after dark you can find thousands of them. They come up shallow and are easy to catch.

If you find the claws on the shore the coyotes are eating them.
[signature]
[quote StarsnStripers]That's weird I went out on Thursday and got 34 fish in the boat from 6am till 11. All on square bills in coves north of echo. a good mix of small and bigmouth.
As for what they are eating Im sure they are gorging on crawdads. I brought a few in that had claws sticking out of their throats. But no shad around at all... Big fish was a bucketmouth that was bout 3.5lbs and they all had fat bellys!!![/quote]

That is what I was expecting based on time of year, temps, etc. The last two years this time of the year was our best trips. 60-80 fish between us in a full day.

Dunno...

Maybe I just hit all the wrong spots last week. What I get for not being on the water for a month. I did hit a spot here and a spot there from the launch ramp going all the way north to Overton switching sides so thought I kind of covered the area. At least in a wide sweep.

I hate the lake being this low. Certainly dried up a ton of my usual go to spots. Going to have to start all over... Last weekend I was pretty dissapointed and figured I should just stay home and take in going to the gun range verse fishing. I suppose another trip needs to be planned to see. You gave me some hope [cool] To me a crank bait bite is 10x funner than a swimmin' jig bite.

Dunno about this upcoming weekend though. Winds might be a issue. I hate dealing with the winds, of course winds are no good for fishing or shooting so would make for a boring weekend...
[signature]
[quote lvfishingdude]I have yet to see a living crawdad in Lake Mead. I have cleaned stripers and found them in there bellies.[/quote]

Dito!
[signature]
Was up at Echo on Saturday as well. We found good schools of cookie cutters LMB , but definitely not in the normal spots this time of year. More main lake pockets or flats with lots of weeds/grass. Didn't see any shad either. Threw a wide variety of baits CB's - worms-jigs-tubes All seemed to work. Poppers in the morning. Lost plenty of water since the last time I was there. Should be getting better with cooler nights.
[signature]
[quote iamthesmf]April & May at Crawdad cove, just after dark you can find thousands of them. They come up shallow and are easy to catch.

If you find the claws on the shore the coyotes are eating them.[/quote]

I see them a lot at 33 hole. How do I used them as bait if I catch one? Just hook it thru the tail and throw it out there?
[signature]
I don't think you can use coyote for bait.

But the crawfish you can hook the body just befor the tail.
[signature]
The best one landed last weekend.

[Image: LakeMead_10-26-13_007.jpg]
[signature]