Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Done w/ Deer
Well I bagged my buck so Avery and I can go Elk hunting now. Hunted hard all month and scouted for a month before that. Seen some nice bucks and passed on 13 bucks that would have been shooters anywhere else. But when I seen this forky I just couldn't pass him up. Couple hour stock and just over a mile before I got the shot I wanted. Had him under 100 yrds 3 times but just no clear shot. Finally got a nice broadside shot at 240 yrs and put him down solid with one shot from the trusty 30.06. Never thought I would shot a forky on that tag but I'm so happy with him. Plus my brother was with me so that made it really special.

Rod
[signature]
Nice deer, even if it is a 2 point. A friend of mine showed me a picture of a deer just about like that last night. I'm wondering if it was the same deer? Was that one you got about 28.5 inches wide?
That is the biggest fork horn I have ever seen . Nice buck .
[signature]
Must be the year for big forkies. Check this one out.
[signature]
Nice deer .
[signature]
Very unique! Congratulations. That hunt is getting harder every year IMO.
[signature]
I have seen a few in there that are huge forkies. That looks like a big adult deer. Ron
[signature]
That is a badazz deer.... I would shoot that buck any day... Even with a 40 tag...[shocked] I love big 2 points....
Matt
[signature]
Thanks Matt.

Ron - Must be some genes out there for big 2x's as I have seen several. Just nothing quite this big. Just couldn't find a 4x that didn't suffer from crab claw on one side or just wasn't that wide. Wasn't worried about a book buck just something special. Wasn't sure how to define special but when I seen him I knew. Looks to be 6 or 7 yoa.

HnH - Not sure what he taped. My brother was going crazy waiting to get back to the cabin and put a tape on him. I tell him no way. Doesn't matter he's a toad either way and I don't want to reduce him to a number. Worrying about that stuff ruined my hunting for a decade. I just concentrate on finding the biggest mature animal I can find in the area I decide to hunt. If I succeed in that it's always a trophy regardless of what it scores. Now having said that I will post a picture of him next to my officially measured 28", 176" and change net buck. (Photo doesn't do either buck any justice.) Wife said if he's wider than that one then I can mount him. Needless to say he's at the taxidermy shop.

Thanks to family's hard work he's in the freezer and the last of the dog treats are in the smoker. Grab some candy tonight and then me and Avery are off to find some elk meat for the freezer. Or a least make some memories trying.

Rod
[signature]