Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chasing Red.....
My wife and I decided to go rent a skiff from a local marina in order to get a day out on the water for some fishin! Turned out to be a good morning! Bite died off completely around 11. I was just glad to be able to get my hands on some Louisiana Reds! We went through their lease property, where I picked up all the fish seen. Once the bite stopped, we took a cruise out to the gulf to see what we could see. Couldn't find any Bull Reds like everyone dreams about. Still learning how to locate the fish here. That's definitely the most difficult part of fishing in Louisiana marshes is locating fish. Fished/drove around for an hour or so without seeing much of anything, so we headed back in to end the day! What a blast! I HIGHLY recommend people come down here, hire a guide for a day or two and get into some of these Reds. Fishing experience of a lifetime Enjoy!

[Image: DSCN3111_zps5d75d92c.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3040_zps993b90ef.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3028_zps54282fce.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3018_zps932541ae.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3017_zps034bc77c.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3016_zps92b0dac2.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3015_zpsb30d4306.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3013_zps95398e81.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3006_zps95472ff9.jpg]

[Image: DSCN2998_zpsad6b8e0a.jpg]

[Image: DSCN2997_zps790d2fd8.jpg]

[Image: DSCN2985_zpsa08ca7cb.jpg]
[signature]
That looks like a lot of fun, Im hoping to do some salt water fly fishing for the first time, but I doubt It will be as fun as you had, thanks for sharing.
[signature]
Sounds fun. Looks like you picked up a little sea trout as well. A good friend just invited me down to meet him at his beach house on South Padre Island TX in 2 weeks. Reminds me I got to buy those tickets today. We usually will fish for reds at least one day when I go down. The rest of the time I'm just trying to stay out of trouble as he's not restrained by society's expectations in any way[Wink].
[signature]
Tell you what, those seatrout don't fight NEARLY as hard as them redfish do!

How's the red fishing down in that part of TX? Didn't know they were down that far.
[signature]
It can be really good but it's just as often "should have been here last week". Sea trout makes good ceviche if you're into that.
[signature]
Great Job! Miss you back here but you are doing just fine out east. When you come back for whatever reason, we will go Carping to keep you in practice....LOL
[signature]
[quote riverdog]It can be really good but it's just as often "should have been here last week". Sea trout makes good ceviche if you're into that.[/quote]

Ceviche eh? Never even heard of it... Sounds like it'd be tasty! Might have to try that one out.

[quote flygoddess]Great Job! Miss you back here but you are doing just fine out east. When you come back for whatever reason, we will go Carping to keep you in practice....LOL[/quote]

Thanks Joni. I will be back in Utah for the Wasatch Fly tying Expo! Gonna have to hit that on Friday and say hello. I actually got the rod to go carpin now! Need different line. I'm always down for throwing line.

I'm actually heading out tomorrow with a gentleman that actually know what the hell he's doing and where to go. Constantly bring 20lb+ reds to the boat so... Pics & another report soon to come!
[signature]
I guess I gotta change the title of this thread to BULL reds.... And that's no s***! Wow, what an awesome day on the water. Ain't NOTHING like casting 10' to a 25# bull red and being ripped down to your backing in a matter of secondS on an 8wt. WHHHHHHHHOOOOOWEEEEEE! What a blast!

[Image: DSCN3169_zpsb806e1db.jpg]
[Image: DSCN3168_zpsc4f84f28.jpg]
[Image: DSCN3166_zps03cde89f.jpg]
[Image: DSCN3143_zpsa884c9a7.jpg]
[Image: DSCN3141_zpsc3b9ec44.jpg]
[Image: DSCN3140_zpsa7134e0a.jpg]
[Image: DSCN3137_zps663d3d3b.jpg]
[signature]
Nice. Good thing you moved. Fishing Utah just isn't the same after a few days like that. Thanks for the follow up post. I got my tickets and hopefully I'll have a day like that in 2 weeks.
[signature]
Ya know, I was just glad to be able TO report back! LOL Instead of talking out my ass. That's always nice.

Don't get me wrong, I love fishing in utah, but you can't get the quality fish such as here, or on the coast (salmon), etc. That's the ONLY down fall with Utah. Needs some bigger rivers!

I wish you luck on your trip to TX! Take pictures and report back!
[signature]
Very NICE! Hey remember, however not Utah, but a few hours away (north) there is Sturgeon, Salmon and Steels.[Smile]
[signature]
ya, but why not live in those states rather then in Utah and have to travel 8 hrs to get anywhere lol.

BTW, thanks again for the leaders! The mono held up just fine to that beast.
[signature]
Got to agree, I am partial to Idaho, but I also realize, I can go in any direction from home in 30 to 60 minutes and be on some killer trout water. And of course, with in walking distance, Carp anywhere from 18" to 36" mixed with LMB and other little guys.
They can put a major bend with lighter gear[laugh]
[signature]
Awesome Reds'!!!!!! Gotta love the salt! I should get a trip down to SoFlo this spring and then the big move down in a few years, I always love trout fishing but I doubt I will miss it too much while fighting some big flats fish!
[signature]
Well, while you are all under some subzero temps & snow.... Here's some Happy Holiday cheer! Been having some fun down here in the south!

[Image: DSCN3198_zpsb9537c30.jpg]
[Image: DSCN3197_zps2ad70c55.jpg]
[Image: DSCN3191_zps4bf56b9d.jpg]
[Image: DSCN3188_zps7efe9ea3.jpg]
[signature]