Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letter to the Governor, Willard Bay inlet
[font "Calibri"]This post is to inform you all that despite the recommendation of the Northern Region Advisory Council (RAC) and many concerned anglers, the DNR board of directors voted to keep the killing field known as the south inlet of Willard Bay open during the walleye spawn. That is the first time since 1975 that I or any of my counterparts can remember the board completely disregarding the recommendations of the RAC. [/font]
[font "Calibri"][/font]
[font "Calibri"]Let me start by saying this IS NOT a dispute with the biology of Willard. I completely understand the majority if not all of the eggs laid in the inlet will not survive because of silt over. This is solely an ethical matter. The fish that swim into the inlet are essentially trapped in an area no bigger than the size of most living rooms and completely without natural defense. They’re there to spawn, not eat, period. This completely goes against what I would call “fair chase”. [/font]
[font "Calibri"][/font]
[font "Calibri"]Last March I put a poll up on the forum asking you if you thought the inlet of the south marina should be opened or closed during the walleye spawn. 74% came back saying that the inlet should be closed because it’s simply not ethical because of the snagging that goes on. Well, I’m now asking you to help me try to overturn the rash and misguided decision of the DNR board. The ONLY person that has the power to overturn the board is Utah Governor, Gary Herbert.[/font]
[font "Calibri"][/font]
[font "Calibri"]Below is the link were comment and requests can be made to the governor, but time is rapidly running out!!!! If you still fill the illegal snagging and harvesting of walleye must stop, please log into [/font][url "http://www.governor.utah.gov/goca/form_comment.html"][font "Calibri"][url "http://www.governor.utah.gov/goca/form_comment.html"]http://www.governor.utah.gov/goca/form_comment.html[/url] and copy and paste the follow:[/font]
[font "Calibri"][/font]
[font "Calibri"][/font]
[font "Calibri"]Dear Governor Herbert,[/font]
[font "Calibri"]I’m writing in regards to the decision made by the Utah Wildlife Board, 11/7/2013 to keep the south inlet open during the walleye spawn at Willard Bay. For the last 34 years the inlet has been closed from March 1 to the last Saturday of April to fishing to protect these fish. The fish are without natural defenses while spawning and snagging was/is a major problem. This all happened even against the recommendations of the Northern Region Advisory Council (RAC) which went on record saying that the inlet should be closed. I beg of you to revisit this issue and not allow the illegal harvesting of these fish. The following are all Utah reservoirs and streams that have closures for this exact reason: [/font]

[font "Calibri"]American Fork Creek / Aspen Lake / Bear Lake and Tributaries / Beaver River / Beer Creek / Benches Pond Tributaries / Big Spring Creek / Boulder Mountain Lakes and Reservoirs / Brown Duck Basin / Causey Reservoir / Cold Springs Lake / Dougherty Basin Reservoir / Dry Creek / Duck Creek / Duck Creek Springs lake / Honeyville ponds / Huntington Reservoir Tributaries / Kolob Reservoir / Kolob Reservoir Tributaries / Lake Canyon Lake / Logan River / Manila Creek Pond / Manning Meadow Reservoir and Tributaries / Mountain Dell creek / Otter Creek Stream /Panguitch Lake Tributaries / Paragonah Reservoir Tributaries / Red  Creek Reservoir / Parleys Creek / Petes Hole Reservoir / Porcupine Reservoir / Provo River (partly) / Scofield Reservoir Tributaries / Sheep Creek / Spanish Fork River / Spanish Oaks Reservoir / Spring Creek / Spring Run Creek / Parts of strawberry River tributaries / Swan Creek / Upper Kents Lake Inflow / Utah Lake / Utah Lake Tributaries west of I-15 / West Fork Duchesne River / Whitney River tributaries / West Fork, Duchesne River / Whitney Reservoir Tributaries / Wolf Creek / Yankee Meadow Reservoir ...[/font]

[font "Calibri"]Please help[/font]

[font "Calibri"]Signed__________[/font]
[signature][/url]

Messages In This Thread
Letter to the Governor, Willard Bay inlet - by WiperMac - 11-15-2013, 04:52 PM