Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead went up a foot in less than a couple days
Not sure if you guys watch the water level link like I do, but the lake had a big spike the past couple days. not sure why?

http://lakemead.water-data.com/
[signature]
If I remember right there was something in the news about doing a max dump out of Lake Powell for a few days. Something about moving around sediments on the river or restructuring the river bed/shorelines. Something like that.
[signature]
Yup the are doing a max discharge to try to rebuild beaches and sand bars. I was down at the lake today and you could tell the water level was higher.
[signature]
Ya iamthesmf posted the glen canyon damn release a few days ago.
Between that and them not letting much water through hoover and dumping 10ft out of Mojave we gained about a foot and a half and it just started hitting mead in the last few days.
1103.86 to 1105.36 lets see how long they let us keep it... hahaha
[signature]
moving on UP!!!!
[signature]
up to 1106 already... ... moving on up
[signature]
The rising water levels and the wind this weekend made it real tough finding the Shad.

We found them in the sticks on the left side of the wash.
Just run your boat with the big motor up into the brush area and then cast the nets. Back the boat out from the brush and repete the attack.

The fish are in the same locations as my last reports.
Early morning bite until 9am, them again around 4 till 7pm. Stragglers are possible thru out the day.
[signature]
The level has really risen in the last couple of days. Areas that I use to fish from are now under water. Its cool seeing the water rise this fast. I saw all you guys fishing in the striper tournament. So how did the weight in go? I wasn't able to make it on Sunday for the weight in.
[signature]
Most people got 10 to 15 fish. Top weight was around 15 pounds, 4th place was around 11.

I had 9.60 for 9th place, I think, have to have the recording secretary get me the results.

Most of the fish we caught were on 6 pound line just off the bottom in 50ft depth. Carolina rig with light weights.
[signature]
Yeah, I saw everyone that was fishing in the tournament off of hole 33. I talked with Frank for a little bit. I ended up with one 3 pounder and two 1 pounder before I got blown off the lake. Man, I would love to hook into a double digit striper one of these days but I am not sure how realistic that is being a bank tangler.
[signature]
[inline jbCarolina%20Keeper%20Rig.jpg]

Here is the rig we are using. Change your hooks to match the size of bait. Weights get bigger the deeper you fish and if you drift. If it's windy a 1/2oz weight won't stay down at the fishes level.
[signature]
Chatted with a couple striper fishermen yesterday afternoon. That is the rig they are using. Got the live shad in Vegas Wash and drove back and fished in the Boulder Harbor. They caught caught 11 stripers
[signature]
Same thing I have used when I do bother with Stripers. Other than I use a swivel below the sinker and home tied pre-built snelled hooks with a leader. It doesn't take too many Stripers to start to damage the line near the hook so I can change out to a fresh set-up with just a snap of a swivel. Then once back in the water cut the damaged line off the snelled hook and store to be re-rigged at home.
[signature]
Or you can just slide the keeper up the line re-tie and be back to fishing in seconds
[signature]
Sunday, one of maintenance workers working on the ramp at Boulder told me he has had to move the ramp up twice a day for 5 days. Hopefully he thought Monday or Tuesday 11/18 will be the last day of going uphill.
[signature]