Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freezing ice holes
Anybody have ideas or tips for keeping ice holes from freezing up in chilly temps. Looking for methods that work in the dark as well. I remember someone telling about a method using aluminum cans and a briquette, but can't remember how it was rigged. Any method would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
[signature]
Buy and ice tent, Mr. buddy heater and a 5 gallon tons of propain.

Got this ice tent and it keeps me pretty warm. I went on my ice fishing trip thursday and the temperature was from 30 to low 20 and didn't even use my heater that day and still pretty warm. As well for a great price. They say it's a 3 man tent I say more of just 2 person tent unless you want to feel like a sardine in a can.
As well if you find the tent on from another shop they will price match. I remember last year I found a shop somewhere that had them for like 153.65 and they check it out and told me everything is good.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sport.../cat101077

This heater is just amazing works amazing and get the place warm fast. Just buy a 5 gallon pro pain tank at any gas stations then when it get close to empty just go to a company that fills them up. Off 9000 south by the ford dealer ship there is a pro pain flue place. They charge like 2.48 a gallon so great way to stay warm.
If you go to dicks sporting good shop they are 44.99 but if you go to sportmen ware house or scheels there like 49.99

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/p..._200612631

When more lakes get harder and if you live close by draper/ sandy area or slc type area on the way to the lake I'm more then willing to pick you up and we can split the gas and stay warm in my tent.

Just a warning I like to smoke my e cig while ice fishing and there will be time to time again some words will come out of my mouth [laugh].
[signature]
I have been told that a drop or two of bleach will keep the hole from freezing. I have not tried this method so I cant say it works.

or this if you dont mind spending some cash

[url "http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-HOLE-WARMER-1-Pack-Ice-Fishing-fishing-winter-no-ice-scooping-/251382490291?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a879064b3#ht_767wt_1087"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-HOLE-WARMER-1-Pack-Ice-Fishing-fishing-winter-no-ice-scooping-/251382490291?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a879064b3#ht_767wt_1087[/url]
[signature]
FFlover, I have a Mr Heater, and it's freaking the bomb, and last year for Christmas I was able to get a much smaller propane tank so I didn't have to lug the one off the gas grill around, and the little one lasts a surprising long time. I also have a quickfish 3, so I am toasty all the time, which allows me to take my very young kids. They stay warm, and if I have snacks they are happy to watch fish on the screen and play in the tent. I do appreciate the invite, and perhaps I may take you up on the offer when I'm in Utah for a week, in west jordan, later in December. I won't be able to haul all my ice fishing gear to Utah because of the kids christmas stuff and lack of space in the van, but I may be able to bring some rods, my marcum camera and some clothes to get out. After that much time at my parents I will need to get out.

I should have clarified that the time in which I want to keep my holes from freezing, they are for the second rod on the jawjacker, or fishing at night for burbot. With six rods, only one will be in the shelter at the Gorge.

Randal801, that link just gave me a giant fluorescent light bulb over my noggin. Moments of inspiration don't come nearly as frequent as moments of perspiration, so I am enjoying this one. Two ideas, both with coat hanger wire or equivalent, and aluminum cans open on one side.

First, cut the most of the top off the aluminum can, or even cut them in half. Attach a one foot section of wire to the watertight portion, and sharpen the far end of the wire. use the sharp end as an anchor in the ice, while it keeps the aluminum can floating in the ice. (coffee cans or any can would work as I think of the concept more). Now, with the aluminum can floating in the water in the hole, and the wire keeping it anchored and upright, place either a long lasting briquette in there and light it. The can will keep anything from dropping into the water, so there is no pollution, and you can add another briquette if the first one is almost burned out after a couple hours to keep it going. That would prevent the water in the hole freezing. You could also put a disposable hand warmer in the can, as long as it will remain dry, and that would work as well.

Other option, if you trust your ability to close a ziplock bag with numb fingers, just throw a disposable hand warmer in a ziplock, close it and toss it in the hole. It will float, and should supply enough heat to prevent the hole from freezing. The only drawback here is if the oxygen in the bag is the limiting reagent in the chemical reaction providing the heat. I could see that possible cutting the heat production from those little disposable guys down and making it a short lived fix. But, I wouldn't have to carry briquettes and lighter fluid, and less chance of any chemicals in the water.

experimenting is in order this winter.
[signature]
stay away from putting any chemicals in your hole. especialy if you want to catch fish.
[signature]
I will confirm that a portable ice hut of some sort with a heater is the absolute best way to keep your holes open.

as for your tipups. I build a half moon crator around my hole on those nasty windy days. it helps to keep the snow blowing over. I still get snow in my hole. I go and open it back up about once an hour.

stiritng the water from the bottom of the hole to the top after skimming helps to keep your hole open a little while longer than not.

personaly, I sit out in the open on the ice. and since I am sitting at my hole anyways, it is not a problem for me to dip my hole every couple minutes.