Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filming through the ice
Last year I saw some awesome videos of ice fishing both above and under the ice and would like to do some myself. I was thinking about purchasing a Go Pro Hero 3 for this and was wondering what mounts are needed or what to do. Also if you have other cameras suggestions then let me know. Thanks
[signature]
I've used my GoPro a few times under the ice. I purchased a tripod mount for it (like $6) and about a 6 foot telescopic monopod (like a tripod but with only one leg; probably $10-$15). I just drilled another hole about 4-5 feet away from the one I was fishing in and lowered it down. I zip-tied a cross-beam to the end of the monopod, so it would just sit there in the hole with just the end left sticking out of the water. I used the setting on the GoPro where you can flip the video upside down so I didn't have to fix it later.

I tried it with the best results at Chesterfield in about 7 feet of water. It was pretty cool to see all the fish and watch them bite and get caught. I also got video of a thousand perch at Montpelier, though the quality wasn't quite as good there because we were in about 20 feet of water, so the fish were far away. I only caught perch there, but from the video, I apparently missed several trout or kokanee, or something of that shape. It was pretty interesting.

To me, half the fun of owning a GoPro is figuring out things like that to do with it to get unique shots. You'll figure out as you go which mounts you like to use and which you don't. Personally though I think that the tripod mount is the most handy one. I usually use it on a little tripod called a Gorillapod. Combine that with a pack of zip ties and a little creative thinking, and there's not many places where you can't put it!
[signature]
One you get it there will be a few things you can use in the Kit to anchor them to poles. I just used a stem off one of the mounts and used duct tape to attach to chimney sweep poles. I tethered the go pro to the poles and surface with 80 pound Dacron encase of the cold fingered whoops. Poles are 5 feet i beleave and about 4.00 per section.
[signature]