Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishman887 Contest Fish!
Fishman887 please post your fish in this thread.

Good luck!
[signature]
Rainbow at Chesterfield this morning. I apologize for the poor quality, I left the camera in the truck and I don't typically keep fish so had to use my flip phone for a quick release. Took a quality picture of my measuring board when I got back to show it has the year on it. Green paddlebug tipped with worm in 10 ft water. I find that they lay still more readily when they aren't directly on the ice.
[signature]
Nice! Looks like a solid 21 to me. Might have been pushing 21.5, but I can't tell for sure. Thanks for including all three of those pictures.
Wish I was closer, that's one of my favorite lakes!
[signature]
That's what I came up with too. Shy of the half mark. Thank you.
[signature]
Got out to McTucker ponds for a short fish tonight. Five inches of ice and tons of gills. They are probably the toughest fish to hook I've had on a flasher so far. Even with a small hook, I caught 2 and missed countless taps. Was using a shrimp pattern tipped with wax worm (best) and worm (ok) when I ran out of waxies. My first warm water fish through the ice.
[signature]
5.5 inches of bluegill it is!
I LOVE bluegill fishing through the ice. They're small but they can be very challenging at times. My favorite bait is a maggot or two on the tiniest jig I can find. Oh and I'm not sure if you have a spring bobber or not; if you don't, get one! You'll catch WAY more fish!
[signature]
Fished American Falls Res. today from 10:00 to 4:00. Had literally two hits and then this Utah Chub courtesy of my Jaw Jacker and an orange/yellow/green marabou jig tipped with worm. Weather kept me on the ice longer than the fish did.
[signature]
Fished Henry's today. It was SLOW. Iced 7 fish in our group in four hours. they were all this size plus or minus an inch. Smoke paddlebug tipped with shrimp. Not a great fish from there, but I may not get back before it closes for the season and I don't know a better place to ice a nice cutt in Idaho. The wind was strong for the first hour in the morning, then died and turned into a great day to be outside of the ice shelter.
[signature]
Nice fish sir! Looks like you're right on the line for 13 inches on the chub, and the cutthroat will go for 17.5.
I'm loving the fish measuring board by the way, it makes for some easy scoring!
Looks like somebody tried to take a bite out of that chub too, a pelican maybe??
[signature]
That was my thought. Looks like he got to grow into it too, by the way his spine kicks up.
[signature]
Henry's on January 1st, with a chartreuse fly tied on a jighead (looked sort of like a muddler minnow) I found next to an abandoned ice hole at Devil's Creek. Not a huge improvement, but likely the last cutthroat I'll see on the ice this season. I am kicking myself now for releasing the only brook trout I caught without snapping a just in case picture the day before. It was in the neighborhood of 13 and I was sure I could do better with two days of fishing left. Live and learn.
[signature]
Hey an upgrade is an upgrade! Looks like the tip of the tail is just barely on the 19 inch line so that'll be the score.
[signature]
Just wanted to put up the game ender for this years competition. Gain the envy of all my competitors as they sulk away knowing that...ok, so maybe not, but I did want to say thanks for the spring bobber idea. Had never used one before, and it was amazing the difference it made in bite detection and catching. Thanks iliketofish!
[signature]
But I DO believe this will put me in first place! My giant perch! Both this and the bluegill were on the Brown Atomic Mite tipped with wax worm at McTucker Ponds.
[signature]
[quote Fishman887]Just wanted to put up the game ender for this years competition. Gain the envy of all my competitors as they sulk away knowing that...ok, so maybe not... [/quote]

[laugh] LOL looks like 6.5 for the game ender (an upgrade of an inch), and the perch will go 5. I haven't added it up yet, but I'll do that next. Keep up the good work!

And I'm glad the spring bobbers are working out! I don't ice fish without them any more! I think I caught trout and kokanee before I started using them but that was it, no bluegill, crappie, bass etc...

From what I've seen in person and in videos, lots of fish, especially panfish, seem to hover right next to the bait, then quickly vacuum it into their mouths for a second then spit it back out without moving. So if a guy can't detect those little vacuum bites, he's going to miss a lot of fish. Spring bobbers make that possible. Light line is a good thing too...
[signature]
That's one thing I"ve changed this year is light line. I use 4 lb fireline and usually 3 ft of 2 lb fluorocarbon tippet and that seems that works better than 6 and 8, though I've broken off some bruisers, and that is getting frustrating. Though its likely the reason they hit in the first place.
[signature]
First night fishing after dark for the year, and boy was the bite hot! If you like catching chubs and suckers that is. Got this slight improvement for my nongame fish. Size 18 treble hook with a small piece of worm and a glow in the dark shrimp like grub in American Falls Res.
[signature]
[quote Fishman887]Got this slight improvement for my nongame fish...[/quote]

^^^ There's an understatement! That 23 incher will add a full 10 inches to your nongame score. If my math is right, you're now down by just an inch. You guys are all putting up some good fish!
[signature]