Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tubin' Photos
Hey Guys...

Well, I just thought that I would post some photos from some recent fishing trips out in the tube on my little lake, Contra Loma.

(06) - Here's a couple of solid 3lb bass that I caught one rainy day...jigs and crankbaits caught the fish...

(07) - I finally learned how to fish swimbaits! Caught this one and some others up to 6lbs on a Big Hammer swimbait. Unfortuneately, I only managed to get a pic of this one, the smallest one of the day. 4.5lbs. The water is relatively flat in the pic, but most of the day the weather was nuts...2-3ft swells and white caps! Fun tubin' weather [cool]

(10) - Here's a couple of jig fish again...2lbs and 3lbs

(11) - Same fish as 10...little better look at 'em...

(05) - Same fish as 06. Diff. angle...

(08) - Same fish as 07. Diff. angle...
[signature]
Hey Sturgeon great pics. Thanks for sharing! The biggest bass I've ever caught was only about 2 lbs. -- I'm jealous!
[signature]
Nice fish SturgeonKid!!! You da man.

Cat_Man, SturgeonKid used to hang out a ton on Utah Lake when he was up here in Utah Valley. He knows a ton about fishing Utah Lake, especially for LMB.

Later!

ES
[signature]
That's good info to know. I've only caught maybe 3 bucketmouths ever on Utah Lake, and that was in those wet years when we had a lot more submerged vegetation over by the State Park, just south of there. I could use some good pointers.
[signature]
I've caught a couple LMB last year (my first) at Lindon BH thanks to Sturgeons advise.
[signature]
As muddy and smelly as that lake is...I kind of miss fishin' it. LoL. I've pulled a lot of good bass out of that lake. It's definitely one of the best lakes there is for fishing from shore. The bass are pretty much always in the same areas, almost all very easily accessible from shore. There could be a 5lb bass sitting one step away from you in a foot of water and you'd never know it. You've got no idea how many times I've been working a lure in a foot of water there, then get bit and set the hook, and the water will immediately errupt as a solid bass expresses his dislike for his new lip piercing. [Wink] The lake is totally unique to almost any other lake in the country that I've fished or even heard of, and that makes it kind of a challenge to figure out. But once you do...it ain't bad at all!!!! If you've ever got any questions...just shoot me a private message and I'll do my best to answer...
[signature]
[cool][size 2]Hey Kid. Don't know whether to say thanks for sharing...or to be jealous for having to look at those nasty things. I'll go with Thanks.[/size]

[size 2]How did your T-day trip work out in Gilbert? Too bad we didn't get together, but we ran out of time before we ran out of things to do. Also, half the family was sick and didn't need to share. We got out in the tubes a couple of times but didn't do much.[/size]

[size 2]Good to hear you have "discovered" swim baits. Big Hammers are great stuff. Lots of neat colors and great action. Next time you get back to Catalina, be sure to toss some to the Calicos.[/size]

[size 2]Hope to have some new stuff for you to try before the "spring fling" gets here.[/size]
[signature]
[cool]Hey Kid, Nice buckets. Hope to get you down her some day in SoCal. It's only about 6hr drive from where you are. I did some work up in that area, just didn't get to fish while I was there. Hope you can send me some reports to post on the CA board as well. Good Luck and Happy Fishing.
[signature]
this last summer was the first time i targeted LMB at utah lake i think it is way under rated there are some nice bass in that lake got one that went 21" and several pushing 18/19" spinnerbait and plastic worm within a foot of the bank was the way to catch them got most of mine at AFBH and some at lindon also
[signature]

Hey there SturgeonKid,

Great pics! Hang in there you're gonna be a bass pro yet!

JapanRon
[signature]
Nice lookin hawgs.[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2073;]

are you gettin in to any tournies?

looks like you would fair well....[cool]
[signature]
Hey Dave...
Ya, I fish tournies. I kind of slacked off this year though and didn't fish many. I got really sick of getting screwed over fishing as a non-boater for the past few years, so for the most part the only tournaments I fished this year were team tournaments with guys I knew I could trust to put fish in the boat. ha! I did fish one float tube tourney though this year with Bass-n-Tubes and got 2nd place. I would've fished more of their tournaments, but pretty much all of their tournaments are on Sundays, and I try to avoid fishing tournaments on Sundays if I can. Oh well...but ya, I should be getting a boat soon enough and will fish a lot more tournaments...
[signature]
to bad you could not rig your self a portable live well on a wagon out of a big cooler. you would of corce need to manufacture one for floting around behind your tube.[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2073;]

I have been trying to think of how one would work. and be colapsable when not in use.

to bad about beeing stiffed on the tournies. I know exactly what you mean, I too was stiffed on a bass tourny some years back. I was in a row boat. the judges allowed a 30k bass boat to enter after being 20 some odd minutes late returning to the finish gate. I was robbed out of first place. the prize wasnt much, only a couple hundred washingtons. the Sad part is if I was 2 minutes late I would not have been allowed to enter my fish.

some people just cant stand being out fished by less financialy favored anglers that have better fishing skills.
[signature]
Hey guys, there is some good news. There is a live well for tubing or boating. You can get them at Wallys world or make your own from a diving bag and some foam. I have one that I got from TubeDude. He might have one of his fancy drawings around with a diagram on it or I can take a picture of it and post it later.
[signature]
that would be nice,

a pic would do the trick. dont have a walley world here in MI.
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey, Dave...and anyone else. If you want to use the mesh bag approach you can find nylon mesh laundry bags at some commercial laundries. You can also find "ball bags" at some of the big sports outlets. Some teams stuff several basketballs, volleyballs, soccer balls or whatever in these mesh bags as a means of keeping them together.[/size]

[size 1]I have both seen and made several models of bait-wells or live bags, using the mesh bags and one of those "noodles" the kids use in swimming pools. All you have to do is secure the top of the open mesh bag to a precut ring made from the foam noodle.[/size]

[size 1]I have to say that I have never seen or made a mesh bag model I liked better than the wire baskets I have been using for about 30 years. BassPro, Barlows, Janns and several other online outlets have a basket that is 19" wide and 30" deep. They will hold a limit of 5 bass, of almost any size. They will also hold several big cats...as long as you cut off the side spines before trying to stuff them in the opening.[/size]

[size 1]I am attaching a couple of pics of these baskets, and the ring of foam noodle we have added to help keep the basket riding on the surface next to our tubes. These wire mesh baskets stay rigid and open, to allow the fish to swim naturally. Mesh bags can collapse around the fish and interfere with natural movement. That adds to the stress and reduces the amount of oxygenation they can derive from the water.[/size]

[size 1]If you really wanna go crazy, you can make a big floating live well from PVC pipe and either wire screen or nylon mesh. Obviously, the more space your catch has to swim in, the better they will remain alive and healthy for the weigh-in.[/size]

[size 1]I will add that I have had more bass die on me in a boat live well than in one of my supersized fish baskets.[/size]
[signature]
I made one out of a landing net and a noodle, works fine for a bass or two and a limit of gills.

it isnt big enough for a limit of bass, they would fit in like you say, the only time it colapses is whin I am moving around. and ya, when I get home I have to wait for an hour for the fish to die before I can clean them, the only dead ones I get are from hook swallowers.

I picked up one of them net laundry baskets, they have a plastic bottom that I realy dot care for, wall mart has both long and shallow and deep and narrow.

the thing about the plastic bottom is I can for see it as being a sea horse when I am moving around. I am comtemplating picking up another basket and cutting the bottom out and sewing the netting of the other basket on to the bottom of that one.

I like that sprots bag netting you mentioned. with that one all I would have to do to keep it open would be to place a ring in the bottom with holes in it so it wont float.

now all I have to do is find a athletic sporting goods shop that carries the bag. then I can have my landing net back....[angelic]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]If you have any military surplus stores in your area, check them out too. We have one near us that sells rolls of light but strong nylon netting...with about 1/2" holes. I started making a live net out of that stuff, but dropped it. In fact, if you want my leftover material, let me know and I will send it to you...along with a leftover mesh bag or two. [/size]

[size 1]You don't need to be a professional seamstress to stitch together some seams. Just string a darning needle with some old dacron or nylon line and make up one short section at a time, to get the type bag you want.[/size]

[size 1]And, you are right about putting a ring in the bottom to keep the bag open. If you can find some discarded electrical wire, with the plastic coating, you can weave it in and out the mesh and form a rough circle with it. That both adds weight to keep the bottom of the bag sunk, and keeps the bag more open to help the fishies swim better.[/size]

[size 1]PM me with your mailing address and I will get a Care Package on the way to you. In fact, I may even have a well used fish basket with some life still left in it.[/size]
[signature]
thanks, I am going to have to hold off for a little while, at least a month or two. I got some realestate people wanting to wonder through my place. I am tennesse bound. hopefuly soon after ice thaw....
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Any idea what part of the state of Tennessee you will be ending up? I have a daughter and her family living in Knoxville. Lots of good fishing, year round. But, not much need for an ice auger.[/size]
[signature]