Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question(s) About Wind Directions
Being an avid fisherman, I frequently watch the weather reports. But I am always a bit stumped about which direction the wind will be blowing when reported. Here are my three questions:

[ol][li]Which direction does a "Northerly" wind blow?[/li][li]Which direction does a "Northern" wind blow?[/li][li]Which direction does a "North" wind blow?[/li][/ol]When I read or listen to weather reports, I often hear different descriptions for different directions. I've heard that a "North" wind is "from" the north and that a "Northerly" wind is "to" the north. But then again, I've heard that all three (northerly, north, and northern) are "from" the north.

Please, can anyone set me straight on this? Be sure of your facts before you confuse me any more.

Thanks,
--- Coot ---
[signature]
I don't know about all those terms but I know a storm can be coming from the North but the wind will be blowing from the South. I have seen clouds going in one direction up high and wind blowing from the opposite directing at ground level. I think this is the approach of the front, once the front passes the wind will change direction. I don't know if that helps but it is just what I have noticed.
[signature]
[#0000FF]First of all, it sounds like you are relying on generalized weather forecasts from local media. They are not what you want for planning a trip. Try to find an online weather source that gives more specific info. I use [url "http://www.weather.com/weather/today/USUT0273:1"]Weather.com[/url] a lot. Not always accurate but if I look at readings for several locations around the place I plan to go fishing I can usually get a better feel for what I might encounter. If you look up their forecasts for daily or hourly winds they will look something like this.[/#0000FF]
WIND:NNW at 11 mph[#0000FF]

If you are familiar with the water you plan to fish, you will know what a "typical" day is...in terms of wind directions and wind speeds...and how they change under "normal" conditions. If you spot a forecast that deviates a lot from "normal" it can be either good or bad. Amazing how north winds on one water are the kiss of death...but can be the best wind direction on other waters.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
"WIND:NNW at 11 mp[#0000ff][#000000]h"[/#000000]

And that would mean 11 mph [#BF0000]out of the North Northwest[/#BF0000] right?
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[#0000FF]That is what the forecast appears to be. However...from past experience...it could be actually be anything from flat calm to 50 mph winds from the SSE.

Typical Utah forecast: Fair and sunny with occasional heavy wind and snowstorms.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Utah weather:

If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes.....[Tongue]
[signature]
I was just clarifying in response to Ralph's original question as to what the directions meant?
[signature]
Just to make sure you all understand my confusion, I have been told that a "Northerly" wind is coming from the north and is headed south.

But that seems odd in that if I am in my car driving in a "northerly" direction, I am coming from the south headed north (just the opposite of what the wind does if it is "northerly").
[signature]
I'm thinking like you on this one Kent. That's the way I see it.
[signature]
This is SO stupid! And it keeps anoying me!

Here is what I am finding on the Internet:

Winds are named from whense they came.

"North" winds come from the north and blow southward.

"Northern" winds come from the north and blow south.

Now, get this: "Northerly" winds blow in a "southerly" direction.

Sheesh!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Some of us are more easily Confused than others. And it gets worse with age. I got ya by ten years so I am constantly Confused. Being married and going fishing only complicates it.

Born in the state of Confusion...right next to the state of Hysteria.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
It's kind of like the difference between mostly sunny and partly cloudy.

Does this help? [Wink]
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
That is a great site. Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
A site that gives aviation weather might be useful. For pilots, winds are always given as a compass reading FROM WHICH the wind is blowing, as in "270/10 G 20" which means FROM the west at 10 gusting to 20.

I agree completely that north vs northerly is pure confusion.

Dinking around on the 'net, I just found a weather site devoted to MODEL airplane flying. What better for fishing, eh?

http://www.usairnet.com/weather/maps/cur...direction/
[signature]
It shows the wind is blowing the perfect direction for sturgeon fishing, where I fish for them in Idaho. Bet it is still bitter cold though.
[signature]
[fishin]
Toss some stuff in their and that is where the wind is blowing from, its the best thing I do, you can't trust the weathermen. They get their weather from a computer and have to guess just as much as you and I do.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Hey, Dave, howya doin'? Still hanging out in Cal?

As you know...from your time in our fair state...the wind doesn't blow here. It sucks.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]