Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cabo Bite Report
[#000000][size 4]FLYHOOKER SPORTFISHING[/size][/#000000]
[#000000]Captain George Landrum[/#000000]
[font "Tahoma, sans-serif"][#000099][size 1][url "http://by106fd.bay106.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/compose?mailto=1&msg=E9B24425-C6D6-4EFA-86B7-D5501A565871&start=0&len=13726&src=&type=x&to=gmlandrum@hotmail.com&cc=&bcc=&subject=&body=&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000002&a=c34e9bb5eef4c0%20"]gmlandrum@hotmail.com[/url][/size][/#000099][/font]
[font "Tahoma, sans-serif"][#000099][size 1][url "http://www.flyhooker.com/"]www.flyhooker.com[/url][/size][/#000099][/font]
[#000000]http://captgeo.wordpress.com/[/#000000]
[#000000]Cabo Fish Report[/#000000]
[#000000] Dec. 2 - 8, 2013[/#000000]

[#000000][#000000]WEATHER: [/#000000][#000000]Partlysunny skies once again, and while most of our friend and clients inthe U.S. were shivering we were enjoying temperatures in the high70's and low 80's during the daytime. We did our shivering at nightafter the sun had set and the breeze cooled us off. It seems myblood has thinned a bit as 72 degrees makes me get goose bumps andput on long sleeved shirts or a light jacket or sweater. Pleasedon't make fun of those of us who walk around with a sweater on whileyou gambol about in your swimsuits! I know we look funny whilewalking the beach but at least there is no snow or ice on the ground![/#000000][/#000000]
[#000000][#000000]WATER: [/#000000][#000000]ThePacific side has had little change in water temperature this week,the water to the inside of the San Jaime and Golden Gate Banks isstill warmer than elsewhere on the Pacific at a fairly consistent78-79 degrees, down a degree or two from last week, but that's whathappens in the winter here. Outside of the banks, to the west, thetemperature has been in the 72-73 range, with this cooler water onceagain being a bit cleaner than the warmer inside water. Afternoonwinds have had a fairly strong effect on the surface conditions aswell with the swells in the mornings at 2-5 feet, but after the windsstart (around noon every day) the wind chop picks up and we get a bitof cross swell of 1-2 feet from the wind that makes for interestingrides home. On the Cortez side of the Cape the water has been aconsistent 78-79 degrees with a few spots peaking at 80 degrees. Surface conditions have been much better with swells staying in the 3foot range and the wind chop not having much, if any effect once youget to the west and north of the 95 spot. The water on this side ofthe Cape has been a bit off-color, tending toward a clean greeninstead of a deep blue.[/#000000][/#000000]
[#000000][#000000]BAIT: [/#000000][#000000]While Caballito remains the most common of the larger baits (whichare selling for the normal $3 each) there are a few more Mackerelshowing up in the bottoms of the bait boats. Still not very commonyet, there should be more soon as the water continues to cool. Otherthan those two species, your choice is Green Jacks and small Pompano. I have not heard of any Sardines available locally, but there mighthave been some available up in San Jose.[/#000000][/#000000]
[#000000] FISHING:[/#000000]
[#000000][#000000]BILLFISH[/#000000][#000000]:There was not much change this week from last weeks Billfish report. They still seem to be hanging out along the temperature break on thePacific side, but there are small concentrations as well along thecoast at the normal high spots such as right off the Lighthouse onthe peanut shaped ledge and on the ridge running straight out fromLos Arcos farther up the coast. There is a small bump to theinside/north of the Golden Gate that has also been producing a fewfish, not to mention the small concentrations atop the Golden GateBank. I have heard from a few boats that made the run that there aresome decent concentrations found this wee at the Finger Bank as well,but it has just been rumors, third hand information, so I have notbeen able to confirm it. The key to getting a Marlin (and they haveall been Striped Marlin) has been to keep an eye on the sky and aneye on the depth finder. When you see the Frigate birds start toswoop, head there, as the fish are beginning to force a bait ball tothe surface. If you see a bait ball on the depth sounder, stay thereuntil the Marlin force it to the surface. Basicly, follow the bait,the fish will be where the food is. Sight fishing by spotting tailand fin tips and tossing a bit also worked well, and often produceddouble hook-ups. Seeing a “picket fence” with several fish in arow is beginning to become more common and offers a good chance atmultiple hook-ups. The preferred bait has been Mackerel, but thefish will eat Caballito as well if they are hungry, the smaller baitsseem to get eaten more often than the larger ones. Fish found justoff the beach are suckers for the small Pompano, it seems to be amatter of “matching-the-hatch”, so to speak.[/#000000][/#000000]
YELLOWFIN TUNA: I am still being patient, I have no choice. Thereare a few football to 25 pound fish around, but the chances ofgetting into them are small as the pods of porpoise they have beenfound with are scattered all over the place. I know of Pangasworking the Dorado inside that have spotted small groups of porpoiseand have hooked and landed several Yellowfin to 25 pounds, andcruiser going 30 miles off the beach doing the same thing. Someboats have reported finding pods of porpoise that cover acres ofwater but have not had any fish under them, while they find just afew porpoise that have given up four to six small Yellowfin. Norhyme or reason to it, just chance as far as I can tell.

[#000000]DORADO: Lots of small 6 to 8 pound fish havebeen striking lures and trying to eat live bait on the Pacific sideof the Cape. The warmer, cleaner water has kept them around, tryingthe warm water on the Cortez side has not resulted in as many fishand the water is more green there as well. Getting a bigger Doradothis past week has been a matter of working harder and smarter. Theplume of warm water running up the coast seems to taper to a pointaround Todo Santos, and boats going that far up have seen slightlylarger fish. It may be a matter of the narrowing warm waterconcentrating the fish, but the fish caught toward the north havebeen consistently in the 12-15 pound class. Closer to home, in orderto get the larger fish, you have had to make a slight change intactics. Boats that were fishing using wire line or torpedo sinkersto get jet-head lures and swimming plugs down deep for Wahoo werehooking a few larger Dorado, some to 30 pounds, while boats poundingthe surface were only getting the little guys. Having noticed this,quite a few boats began running down-riggers and Z-Wings with livebait to attract the larger Dorado. The only problem with this isthat if there were Wahoo around, they would get the bait bitten inhalf or the leader cut without ever noticing it happen. Also, it isa great method for catching Striped Marlin as well and often one ofthese would gulp the bait. For anglers only wanting to fish for meatfish, this was not what they wanted. Well, I have always been happyto catch something rather than nothing, and would never turn my noseup at catching a Marlin! [/#000000]
[#000000]WAHOO: These fish are still here, and stillbiting, but you have to be in the right place, at the right time,using the right gear in order to have a decent shot at them. We justcame off the new moon on the third, and have the full moon coming uparound the 17[size 2]th, so the bite should, repeat, should, begood then for these speedsters. The right place means along steepdrop-offs, high spots on the bottom, ridges projecting out from shoreand canyons running right up to the beach. The right time has beenjust before and just after tide change, when the water starts movingagain. The right gear means lures with a short trace of wire leaderto prevent cut-offs, lures or swimming plugs that will go deep, thedeeper the better, and run at speed. If using live bait, make surethere is a trailing hook wired to the front hook as to prevent havingthe bait cut in half without hooking up, and running the bait deep.[/size][/#000000]
[#000000] INSHORE: There were some decent sizedRoosterfish reported this week, by decent I mean in the 18-25 poundclass, but they were still out numbered by the little 5-6 pound fish. There were many more Sierra showing up as well with some of the fishcoming in reaching the 8 pound mark on the scales, but most of themwere 4-5 pounds. The Snapper bite dropped off, perhaps due to thenew moon, but should improve once the full moon comes around. Onceagain, if you get into the stacks of Snapper that happen during thefull moon, please limit your catch as these are spawningconcentrations. I have not heard of any large Yellowtail this weekbut there have been fish to 10 pounds caught, and they are becomingmore common every week. It should not be long before we start to seelarger fish on a consistent basis.[/#000000]
[#000000]FISH RECIPE: Simple is the key work. Thisis about as simple as it gets. Take a Dorado fillet cut to meal size(or Snapper, or Wahoo), marinate it for about 30 minutes in freshlemon juice. Dust it with salt and pepper, then again with somesmoked Paprika (I have a big bottle of Penzy's in the cupboard) andcook it in a frying pan with a couple of tablespoons of oil (I likeusing the Avocado Oil they have here at Cost-Co). Serve it up withsome potatoes that have been diced small and dusted with Thyme and abit of Paprika as well as with a small salad. Easy, tasty and goodfor you![/#000000]
[#000000]NOTES: I have forgotten to mention in mylast two reports that the Whales are here! Grey Whales close to thebeach and Humpback Whales farther out, both species have been puttingon good shows for us on a daily basis. This weeks report was writtento the music of “Two Tons Of Steel” on their CD “Not ThatLucky”. A bit of Texas Rockabilly to keep my toes a tapping![/#000000]
[#000000][#000000]P.S. [/#000000][#000000][font "Fertigo Pro, fertigo-pro-1, fertigo-pro-2, Georgia, Bitstream Charter, serif"][size 2]Iwas reminded by several anglers and Captains this evening that Iforgot to mention the presence of three Tuna Pens that were fished onSaturday and today. I didn’t forget them, I just had a momentarylapse of memory, it happens when you get older. Anyway, there havebeen three pens being towed from the west and toward the east. Two ofthem, the front two, appear to have fish in them, and most of theboats going to fish the pens have been working behind the front two.The last pen appears to to be empty. The bite at these pens has beenenjoyed by the first few boats to arrive, plenty of Dorado, someStriped Marlin and a decent Wahoo bite. There have also been somefootball sized yellowfin tuna scattered around within 1/2 mile of thepens, enough to provide lots of action and limits on these small, 5to 8 pound fish. The Dorado were decent size with the larger fishbeing caught by the first boats on the scene Saturday, smaller fishtoday. The same thing occurred with Wahoo as there were decentnumbers in good sizes for the first boats on the scene. As the bitedied off, boats that were willing to drop jigs and work behind thenets continued to catch fish. These Tuna Pens were 17 miles to thesouth of Cabo this morning, headed east, who knows where they will betomorrow. Mince this report is about what has happened I needed to update the report, but don’t expect this to be the case for thecoming week. Thank you for the comments, and tight lines.[/size][/font][/#000000][#000000][size 2][/size][/#000000][/#000000]

[#000000]And as always, George writes this report

and posts to the blog on Sunday morning. So if you

can'twait, click the "FOLLOW" on the top of the blog

page! You will know whenever something new is posted!
[/#000000]

[#000000]http://captgeo.wordpress.com/[/#000000]
[signature]