Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nymph Line
Need to pick up a new line for my five weight. I mostley use this rod for nymphing with an indicator. I am thinking about the rio or sa nymph lines. Are these lines any better for nymphing than a regular general purpose wf line? What about overlining by one size?

Mark
[signature]
I don't have experience with those lines so I'll let other's comment. What wt rod are you using and why are you considering oversizing for nymphing? If it's a very light rod or using very big nymphs already you'll get away with oversizing. Assuming you can cast the rod with the recommended weight line fine I don't think a heavier line crashing harder into the water is going to help your catching. I'd be more likely to go a size lower than up if casting small nymphs common in winter and was using a 4 or 5 wt rod.
[signature]
Nymphing lines are generally a heavier front taper to begin with so over lining makes no sense to me.
They are specialty tapers, so if you totally nymph or you pack two strung rods it could be an option.
Personally I don't see the use as I will switch to a dry when needed.
Maybe try Rio Grand or SA's GPX series which are 1/2 line heavier. They add a nice punch.
As for over lining, sinking lines are a smaller diameter line so going a size larger is not that noticeable. But floating line is a larger diameter for floatability. Also more wind resistance. So you long belly might be a choice.

Another suggestion is maybe trying a full sink or a longer sink tip line. No indy, but drifting. I prefer a Type II for wet flies, or to get lighter flies down, specially in faster water.

Your choice for sure, these are just my opinion.
[signature]