Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gar fishing for the ultimate fighting fish
[cool]giant gar are one of the hardest fish to find and catch as tackle isnt really made for handleing very large nongame fish so i am always looking for new tackle and rods and reels for fresh water normal heavy gear wont take the punishing i put them through with large gar and cats so i use pike extra heavey rods and large spinning or baitcasting reels.i use guitar string for leaders and 6o stainless saltwater hooks.
[signature]
if a man were to want to target them, what kind of lake structures should he look for?
[signature]
wadda ya using as a bait ? i've seen gar around 4' long downstate but have never seen a giant gar yet , got any pics of them ?
[signature]
I was wondering if there were ever any reports of little ones ever taken down by these monster?

this past summer I watched a duck go down every 3-4 days and not come back up. and understanding the size of them gar, it makes me wonder about them grabing small mamals like coons and kids swiming in those waters. I would not be suprised if lard birds like geese and swans became dinner,

just curious.
[signature]
yeikes ! and i was wondering about the big cats !
[signature]
he would look to shore line and dead falls as they would for big bass, as a predator they still like to ambush there prey without wasteing energy,and gorge when rivers rise and become brave and head inland to feed and breed.
[signature]
well abit is simple ,live minnows, shad,carp,bluegill,anyfish one pound or better,as for pictures none yet as i have still to get a digatal camera but maybe before the spring floods come and they start moveing i will have one and bring some snapsshots of the ones i am targeting and maybe a new record at that all i cna do is cross my fingers and let god bring the rain and fish.
[signature]
cool , , i have a walmart camera , ran about 40 smackers , but ssor on the ohio and texas board has a source that can get them for 25 bucks , ya might try asking him for details.
[signature]
thanks lone i will check it out and if i get one hooked up i will give you a call might need some help.always need fishing buddys and would love to see you hook one of them when the backwater is out they are a sight to see.
[signature]