Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
icefishing this weekend
Okay:

I'm ready! My clam is packed with newly spooled reels, a new heater, fresh line on the tipups, recharged battery on my Vexilar 18. I'm hoping the four inches of ice on Crooked Lake remains throughout the weekend.

Anyone else fired up!?!?

Let the games begin.

Oh yeah, check the conditions before you charge like wild banshees!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
[cool]Hey Callie, what state is your Crooked Lake in? Mine is in NY.
[signature]
crooked lake in clare ??????
if so where and when ? i'm a hop , skip and a jump from clare .
[signature]
in south east MI our ice is gone. the rain ate it up.[mad]

it is going to be another 2 weeks with the current weather forcast.[unsure]

its been over 2 months now since I got a line wet. I am suffering from with drawals.

some of my old buddies, jack, jim and bud are calling from the cabnet, they herd things are a little dry around my house.
[signature]
Hey Buddy: Crooked Lake is in Northern Michigan. AGGGHHHH!! 6 inches of snopw last night is going top put a damper on the weekend plans it looks like. Hopefully, you can get out this weekend.
[signature]
The Crooked Lake I'm referring to is in Emmet County (Petoskey).

However, with the 6 " of snow that fell last night I might be out of luck now.
[signature]
[crazy]Callie

I wish we did have some hard water here, We had a record snow fall last weekend and yesterday we got 2" of rain which removed all the snow. With temp. below freezing we might get out after xmas. Like Davetclown I haven't got a line wet in months. If I had good ice 6" of snow wouldn't stoop me.
[signature]
Chief: it's not the snow itself, it's how it will affect the strength of the ice. Pray for ice.
[signature]
I know what you mean about the snow on top of thin ice. it acts like an insolater. iven if the teps drop in to the teens it has a hard time radiating through the white stuff. that is why the eskamo's used the white stuff for housing. it keeps inside temps at a balmy 32* degrees.

on the up side NY should have ice if we keep the cold spell by the end of next week. all the ice cold snow even if it got hit by a little worm rain will drop the temp of a good layer off the top of the lake. this will make freezing a lot easer.

we always get our best ice freesing and fastest when we get 6 inches of snow in open water then a good freeze. last year it only took 6 days from open water to 4 inches of clear glass like ice. you wanna talk about hard ice. I pulled a mussle drilling through just 4 inches.
[signature]
Ice fishing won't be happening around here probably for another two weeks or so. We had between 3 and 10 inches of snow fall on us last weekend here in the Twin Cities. Plus we're expecting another warm up above freezing in a couple of days. If it weren't for the snow we'd probably have a good 5 to 6 inches.... although, we might be in luck... saw snowmobiles on one of the shallow waters today. I was just waiting to see one break through.
[signature]
the foote pond above the dam was half frose over this morning , when i left the lake was completley covered over .

don't let any of that first ice fool you guys , taint' safe round here yet !
[signature]