Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flasher or Underwater Cam
Debating on finding an inexpensive underwater cam or flasher. Suggestions? Anyone know where to get one no the cheap or trying to get rid of one?
[signature]
See the Utah for sale board. PM for details.
[signature]
There are times when I would like to have a camera, but I sure wouldn't choose a camera over a flasher. A flasher, IMHO, is far more useful than a camera. Now that I've said that, I'm sure there will be plenty who disagree.

What's on the cheap? What you willing to spend? The cheapest one I'd consider is a showdown for $150 new. Then you go up from there. You might find something used for less. Make sure it is a flasher and not just a fish finder.

That's my 2 cents.
I was thinking 200 to 300 for a NEW unit.. I'm not used to being here in the area where I could just go to a sporting goods shop that carried everything I'm into. I mean we got Sportsman but honestly, their selection is lacking. Some of the guys there are cool but I notice more often than not, those guys JUST work there.. as in.. NOT very into the outdoors at all. I don't know.. maybe I'm being too harsh and it sure beats going all the way to Boise.

You mentioned that "Showdown" I think I remember seeing one up in Montana, they did the job and wasn't too fancy. Still black and white in color. How do they hold up? They break down? Lose quality?

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.
[signature]
My showdown had a leak on the screen that allowed water to get inside if it rained or you splashed on it, and I had to take it apart several times to get the leak sealed up, but it has functioned well. My only real complaint other than the leak is that it has issues powering up if the batteries aren't pretty new or if the unit doesn't stay warm. To work around this, I would just power it on before I left the truck and leave it powered on, or I would put it inside my clothing so my body heat would keep it warm.

I've since updated to a Lowrance Elite 4x Ice Machine. It has multiple softwater modes and it is in color. Both things I like. I have really fallen in love with this unit, except........ It stopped working on me during my last trip. I found the fuse was blown. I put a new fuse in, but it still wouldn't power up. I'm an electronics technician by trade, so I did some testing on it and found that power was getting to the console, but it still won't power up. I bought it at Cabelas, so I took it back (only had it since May and they have a 1 year over the counter warranty). They said the fastest way to get back up would be for them to give me a refund and then order a new one. So that's the route we went. When I went in to order the new one, I found they have a $100 rebate on that unit. So, I'm getting a new unit in 5 days and then $100 dollars in a few weeks (however long the rebate takes). Can't beat that with a fishing rod. I only hope the new one is more reliable, cause I sure love the unit. If I haven't scared you off from it by now, you can get one at Cabelas for $299, then send in the $100 rebate and you are in fat city for $199. Again, I think this unit is awesome, as long it will keep working. Lowrance is a great company, so I'm hoping I just got a lemon.
I've used Lowrance in all of my boats. Great Products and that price is RIGHT up my alley. Thanks for the info and I wouldn't mind hitting the ice with a fellow enthusiast.
[signature]
Sounds great. Let me know if you ever make it up this way. What days do you normally have available to fish?
[signature]
If your still considering a camera I have a Cabelas advanced angler camera with a 7 inch screen. Its black and white I took it on a trade last year for a flip over and thought i would use it but only took it out once. I don't know much about it of if there a very good camera. I would take 75 for it let me know if your interested i will take some photos.
[signature]
I just bought my self a showdown and it's amazing for how portable it is. Wen't on the ice yesterday and it was reading like a champ. Love watching where your bait is and the ability too put the jig right next too the fish face then start jigging it up as well seeing the fish swarm up too it.
[signature]
Here are the photos you asked for [Smile]

[Image: fishcamera-1130735_zps8e5c1ede.jpg]

[Image: fishcamera-1130736_zpsd314c4b4.jpg]

[Image: fishcamera-1130738_zps3872f150.jpg]

[Image: fishcamera-1130737_zps65ff37b7.jpg]
[signature]
That's just the kind I have. It was a good bargain, and has served well. Though unless it's dark out, or I'm in a tent, it's pretty worthless. Can't see the picture. Helps once you get the dials dialed in too. There's actually two camera inputs I think.
Have you ever noticed how the light draws fish in pre-dawn? Curious buggers.

The two are different tools, different functions, as you've seen. Good advice from folks.

A finder/flasher is a location/depth/activity monitor. It is probably more useful if you have to choose one.

You can watch a broad "cone" of area underneath you, and monitor all depths. Plus - without drilling you can easily check depth. To pick up and move is simple. I got a Lowrance m86c, and I love it. Has a GPS and setup for ice, or boat finding. Color, split screens, flasher mode. I wouldn't mind a stepped up model with the bigger screen and maps, but I got into this for $3bills, via our own site, for sale board.

A camera is more of a "toy" - but can provide some fab-entertainment. I've really only used mine on the bottom - and dial in on one of my two jigs. There's 50 feet of cable, so lots to drop, or pickup (wet). Plus dialing it in can be a pain. I need a table/stand to get it up off the ground, too much stooping for this old man in heavy overalls!

But once you do dial in a jig, and if there's fish to watch - I've seen things from the camera that have led to hookups I never would noticed with a flasher/finder/spring bobber. When a fish inhales and spits a jig with NO tug whatsoever - you can nail them.

Watching HOW they react to your jigging. You see folks bounce rods up and down with all kinds of vigor. Watch on camera and see how a subtle tap allows the waxie to undulate. The BIG JIGs can scare fish away. Many times a jig jig jig rest is the key. But you can see how they respond, and compete.
Bounce it in the mud - see the ploom, and see how fish react.

I'd love to get one of those small LCD systems, some with the build in recorder. But they do get pricey. I've thought about parting with my camera system too. But looks like d_f has ya covered if that's what you're after.

Good luck!
Thanks I was curious about them but like i said only ever used it once and it was in the tent. I'm not much of an electronics person I guess i should learn a little more about them and how to use them [Smile]
[signature]
Thanks for the great advice. I look forward to someday owning both. It would be a huge help, All this past week the fishing has been great but the bite was soooooo soft. If I hadn't of been wired on caffeine, I wouldn't of even noticed. Oh the joys of being sensitive to caffeine. hahaha....
[signature]
I believe the phrase is work smarter, not harder. Electronics now and days dial fish in to a science.
[signature]
I would second the Lowrance elite 4x. I have one and absolutely love it. Such a bargain for the money.
[signature]
Thanks for the heads up!
[signature]