Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview 1/1/14
Just back from a few hours at Pineview. There were about a gazillion people out there. I fished the south side of Cemetery for two hours.
It was very slow for all I talked to. I released a few 7" perch, and that was it for me.

(Once again, the solunar tables prediction was worthless. Supposed to be the best day of the month, with a new moon and all. The "peak" predicted hours were the slowest of the time I was there.)

Refrozen slush layer was bumpy but slick as snot in a bathtub. Ice was 6" to 8", bottom half clear.
[signature]
Ever fish for muskeys thru the ice?
[signature]
I hit Pineview a couple days ago with similar results. About 99% of the folks was having little to no luck but the 1% that were sitting on top of fish had piles of perch all over the ice. I know it's hard to move around with that many people but I think that's the trick to get into the fish.
[signature]
Yup. I tried four holes, from "almost the farthest guy out" to being in the middle of the pack. Basically got one fish from each hole. Didn't have a flasher or sounder yet, but was told the depths were 19' on out to about 22' farther from shore.

When the brown suit Santa brings my flasher, I think I'm going to find the old main channels and fish on the edges of them. That works pretty well from my kayak, but I'm not sure if it will be as productive through ice. We shall see.
[signature]
I also hit Pineview yesterday. I arrived about 9am and stayed till 3pm. I fished the north side of Cemetary Point. Fishing was slow there too so I occupied my time making the pretty white ice look like swiss cheese.

I tried everything from 17' to 34' (halfway to Browning Point). I dropped my gopro down several of the holes and saw nothing but sand and a couple beer cans on the bottom. It turns out the the fish were suspended about 5-6 feet off the bottom in 31' of water. The fish finder didn't show much activity outside of that depth range.

I caught fish/got hits on glow ratfinkees tipped with pearch eyes, meat, meal worms or wax worms. Make sure you put a kastmaster about 18" above your jig. The water was pretty cloudy so a little bling help draw in nearby fish.

Nothing over 8-9" was caught near me with the exception of one trophy sized carp that fell for a wax worm.

When I arrived the ice was about 10" thick with the bottom 7" being solid and clear. After drilling about 20 holes with my hand powered auger, I would swear it was over 2 feet thick.

I may try it again when my arms are rested up.
[signature]
I too was there, I was the crazy one with the Polaris Ranger on the north side of cemetery point. We were in 32' of water and had perch and crappie all over the flasher. I was able to put 30 perch on the ice with a handful of crappie as well. all perch were in between 6-9". I was happy with the outcome.
[signature]
I saw you out there! You drove right past us. You stopped and fished just to the west of us. We hammered Perch and Crappie from 9:00 to 3:00. That is a good lookin machine you got. Perfect for ice fishing.
Without a flasher the fish would have been really hard to catch. So many of the Perch were suspended with the crappie and not having a flasher would have made it really difficult.
[signature]
The flasher is what saved my day. My buddy only caught one all day. I would be like " fish Stacked up on the bottom 5 foot" and I would pull up two and he would not get anything. @bigfish22 did you get a school of crappie come by around 10ish suspended half way in the water column? I did and was surprised by this. I have yet to see them do that at pineview. About 4 ish when it died down we went out to the middle to find the underwater hump and I caught 4 more in 5 minutes.
[signature]
You know the last two weeks we have been fishing for perch in the 14' - 20' range. Early in the a.m. and then again aroung 1:00 the bite kicks in shallow for perch. Out deeper in the 27' range we have had suspended schools of crappie and perch toghether from 15' to 20' suspended over 27' of water. The schools move through then about 10-20 minutes later they come back. The fishing has been good with limits of Perch and Crappie the last 2 times out. Fish Taco's Tonight!
The one bummer thing i noticed was last saturday i was there and found a whole bunch of crappie stuffed down a ice hole and totally wasted. There were also a bunch just laying on the ice not filleted out! [mad] If people are going to keep and kill fish and are too lazy to fillet them they shouldn't be fish in my opinion.
[signature]
fish browning point next time, it is supposed to be way better fishing, i know people who catch 80 nice size perch, and more even smaller
[signature]
Should have a flasher next week, and that's JUST where I'm going to go. (Of course by then the bite will be somewhere else, LOL!)
[signature]