Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idaho Gems
In Montana, you could pan for gold and find the occasional Sapphire in the river. The other day I found some arrow heads in the desert by the lake. Anyone else find anything of interest here in these parts? Passing into Idaho I saw something about Opals? Anyone try this?
[signature]
we haven t been the last couple years but we have pans small dredge and a high banker and use to find all kinds of precious stones why they are very small still fun to find and Agates, jade, opal, garnet (pink, green, and red), and diamonds are all present in idaho. one of largest diamond ever found in the us was up by McCall.
[signature]
Interesting, I was not aware of the diamonds. So far the rarest gem we've found was a ruby. Don't remember the type but it is very beautiful. I don't know where to take them get faceted here in the area yet.
[signature]
The opals are out south of cj, that is an ancient lake bed and there are also all kinds of fossils. Dismal swamp above rocky bar is a great place to look for gems. Be careful, most everything is claimed and there are very distinct seasons for prospecting. Google Idaho prospecting laws. About the only place open now is king hill to Hammett on the snake river. They just changed a bunch of rules to keep the "homeless" out of the woods. Every scoop of dirt in the snake drainage contains flour gold which assays over 90 percent. Lots of garnets from clear to dark red also. Got to do something while waiting for a sturgeon to bite.
[signature]
yeah, I gotta find some better sturgeon holes too. That's for another forum though
[signature]