Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gorge Trip
Hit the Gorge over the weekend for the first time with some friends. I have to give a big thanks to those who were willing to provide information to help make our first trip a success.

Our Plan was to leave Friday Afternoon and make it to the Gorge before dark. Well we were a little late getting on the road and we arrived with the wheelers in tow after dark. We got the gear loaded in the sleds and headed out on the ice in search for a place to fish. The wind was blowing a bit and it didn't take to long for us to pick a spot and get set up. Caught a burbot on the first drop down the hole so we settled in for a long night of fishing. Landed 25 total burbot and lost a few right at the hole. Once morning came the fishing slowed right down and we tried taking short nap. THe nap turned into a few hours of lost prime fishing time and we were woke up by the CO going around checking licenses. Sounded like we were one of the only groups in the area doing well at catching. Around 11 I headed out to deeper water in search for some lake trout. End the day with a few rainbows and one laker added to the catch.

Again a BIG THANKS to those who provided us with some information.

[Image: 20140104_073636_zps9fc25584.jpg]
[signature]
Where did you end up catching the camo eels?
[signature]
Over by lost dog.
[signature]
How was the road getting there? Did you go from the south or north?
[signature]
Came in from the North, There were a few slick spots but it wasn't bad at all.
[signature]
Man, you found a good spot! We hit lost dog at about 11pm Friday night, didn't get any hits, so we moved over by the cliff face across from the parking on saturday morning (we also came from the north) and only caught one burbot by the time we left Sunday morning. Really disappointing actually. I was hoping to get into some of those delicious fish.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Glad you were able to get into a few burbs.
[signature]
PM sent.
[signature]
Congrats on the burbot. I will be looking forward to the Bash results closely this year.

I just hope that the wind dies down there for a few days so we can get some ice moving farther south. If we don't safe ice down past Big Bend I will be disappointed this year.
[signature]
10 day forecast has all low temperatures and wind speeds above single digits. Warm and windy means it may not be the best ice year at the Gorge

"Warm" being a relative term
[signature]
Do you care about sharing any info? I usually fish Holmes during ice on for burbot but never fish during the day up there through the ice. I know the bite slows down for burbot and the bows but as far as locations do during the day im clueless. I will be up there next Thurs fri sat with 2 friends who never make it out much
[signature]
Looks like you did well! Congrats!

I was up at Firehole last Saturday and didn't even get so much as a nibble. I can't seem to figure out the burbot up at the Gorge. Finally figured out the Kokes during the summer the last few years but have yet to do any good with burbot up there.
[signature]
I have most often hit the fish n map's gps points. Get the map and look at those spots, as they actually do produce.
[signature]