Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Landing Your Walleye
<B>Ice Fishing Tip #19</B> <br><br>I am posting this one today for tomarrow, going to visit with Ted Nugent<br><br>So you got a Walleye on the end of your line and you’ve managed to get his head to the top of your hole. Now what you do? <B><br><br>A) Cut the line and let him go.<br>B) Yell for your daddy to come and get it out for you.<br>C) Try pulling it up and out the way you would a pan fish.<br>D) Wait for the ice to freeze around the walleye.<br><br></B> though all of these answers above will work, (mostly in loosing your fish). The correct answer is <B>E) Grab your gaff that you have so ingeniously invented last summer. Slip it behind his gill and pull him through the hole.</B><br><br>For those of you who have not yet invented one, you can run out to your local fishing supply store and most likely not be able to find one. So now what? Well you will have to make one your self.<br><br>Being that you don’t have one you may not know what it is that you are looking for. So I will describe one for you and then you can run out to your workbench and throw one together.<br><br>Any kind of dowel (wood-aluminum-steel) with a #3.0 treble hook (2-3 inch diameter) attached to one end and any kind of an anti-slipping device (knob-tee-rope-dipped in rubber-a bend) on the other. You can make it as fancy or as plane as you like.<br><br> This will also work well on those pesky thumb biters (pike) or any other large fish. <br><br>Mine is a piece of broken ski pole that I brazed to a hook. (Total cost, 32 cents + tax)(I picked up the pole out of a trashcan at a ski lodge while skiing) Had it for ten + years now. Even though I haven’t had the pleasure of using it on a walleye (yet) my dad has barrowed it from me many-many times. And I watched!!!<br><br><br>[cool] “Don’t forget to wiggle your jig.” davetclown