Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hyrum
I fished hyrum by the inlet and didn't have much luck I haven't had much luck the past three times I can't seem to find the trout but I took my under water camera out and seen hundreds of Frick in perch and it was the most annoying Thing to watch them on the screen but not to have them bit I put every thing i had in the water trying for them but could not get them to commit To any thing
I watched them come up and peck it just not bite
[signature]
We fished it Saturday and did ok. Got 22 with 6 perch the rest were bows and we got one that was 15" the rest were 12". Except for the perch that were tiny. Guy next to us probably doubled our catch. It was fun but small. Later J
[signature]
Those perch are probly only 3-4 inches long, I caught one or two that size couple weeks ago. Hyrum isn't like it was the last two years, just alot if 12 inch slimmers, we caught two 20 inch bows right at first ice, thought this year would be epic, maybe it will pick up again!
[signature]
Ya they where way little but there are so Dang many of them every where we went ther was 20 30 + perch below us but just couldn't find the trout 20 in trout out of hyrum is a good trout
[signature]
Yeah they were good Bows, probly more like 18 inch tho
[laugh]
Still really nice for hyrum
[signature]
Seems like the pressure on Hyrum keeps most of the bows caught out by the time they get really nice. Next summer this current crop will be getting nice sized if they make it through the winter. I was catching a bunch of nice 14 to 16" bows trolling this fall so I thought the ice fishing would be good as well. Guess somebody already caught the rest of them because I'm not seeing many of the bigger fish lately. It would sure be fun if they would hit an 18" average size. They are fun fish to catch. But I don't think we'll see that on Hyrum.

Seen a group Saturday that was catching fish like crazy and I didn't notice if they were C&R ing or not, but when the CO showed up they sure packed up and left fast. Looked pretty suspicious, but maybe it was just a coincidence. But I think that might be what is happening to the fish over there and why they never get much size. Lots of happy harvesters. I took a couple deep hooked fish home Saturday and smoked them and they do taste good even if they are small. Well you heading to Bear Lake next week to jig some Cisco? Wish my boat wasn't so iced up so I could take it over. Later J
[signature]
Ya I remember during the summer slam in some good rain bows but I can't seen to find them now it always seems to happen u get bigger fish in the summer and little dinks on the ice I can't find the Browns ether I wonder if any of them made it to hopefully one day they will get and keep bigger fish in hyrum I think they should put a size limit on the trout of 18 or 20 in so they have time to grow big and establish Them self in the body of water
[signature]
We fished it Saturday and caught lots of fish. Most of the time I couldn't get my pole in the water because I was busy taking fish off of my 7 year old's pole. The bite was constant all day long. We finaly packed it up around 2:30. All the fish were just small 8-12 inch rainbows with a couple small perch. We kept 8 or 9 between the five of us to cook up that night.
[signature]
I think we have to realize that Hyrum is a pond for the masses and they manage it as such... Once in a while we get some nice ones if we get a short ice season due to an early melt so they don't catch them all out, but for the most part we get a nice summer planting and catch them until they are all gone... It's surprising to me that some of the fish don't hide out in the center of the lake and stay safe, but it always seems like there aren't many big fish growing up in that pond... I guess if we want bigger fish we need to hit an Idaho puddle that has less pressure or maybe Porcupine.... Bear Lake if we want real fish... But I still like the close easy fishing in Hyrum even if they are tiny... Later J
[signature]
If u don't mind me asking what part of the lake where u fishing I had some 60 plus days out there this season I just haven't been able to get on top of the fish lately it seems like
[signature]
Ya iv been wanting to go hit porky pine up have u heard if it's frozen or any good or not
[signature]
I've heard conflicting info but I think it's fishable. No one is really reporting anything so I don't know if that means its good and they don't want others showing up, or its not very good and not worth a report. I think as many Kokes as I graphed last summer that it should be pretty good but who knows. Good luck. J
[signature]
I think you hit it right on the head. Hyrum has become a pond for the masses (just like mantua). The fish just aren't allowed to grow up because the majority (from what I've seen), feel the need to harvest most everything they catch. Trout and perch, it doesn't matter. Hyrum will never be a great fishery if you count size as being great. It is, however, a great place for kids to catch fish. So many 8"-14" planter bows, it's not even funny. It becomes boring, in fact.

Couple of years ago, folks were catching 20"+ Browns (with fins in tact) out of Hyrum on a semi-consistent basis. Not anymore. It just gets way too much pressure. Too bad this valley doesn't have a couple other lakes to help alleviate some of the madness. It will just continue to get worse with all the advertising that's abundant on internet, radio, and t.v.
[signature]
We were fishing the inlet. The fish were right on the bottom. If you were a foot off the bottom you were weren't deep enough. we were in about 12' of water.
[signature]
Ahoy Capt.
What ever do you mean not deep enough for fish one foot off bottom??
For perch ? Or trout? Or both?
[signature]
Yup I think you're right about needing another lake or two, we need to encourage more people to fish Porcupine to spread the pressure and to thin the Kokanee so they can grow bigger. That's one spot that probably needs more pressure, but its not an easy spot to fish so it gets over looked. I'm sure surprised every year by how popular ice fishing is. Seems like so much more pressure than summer. But it lets everyone have equal access so I guess that's why it seems to be the most popular time to fish. Catch ya later J
[signature]
Mostly Trout, but we did catch a few perch. It was funny. If my boy went for a while without a bite I had to go and double check his depth. if he reeled it up at all, the fishing was much slower. I would have to go and drop it down for him right on the bottom and reel it one or two cranks that was it. Anything above that and the bite was much slower. I couldn't guess how many we caught, but my boy was keeping track and he iced 41 trout just on his pole. By the end of the day he had it figured out and was doing everything himself. Quite rewarding as a father actually [Smile].
[signature]
After we had caught alot of fish and I could tell that my boy was having a good time I asked him, "Would you rather have a day like today and catch a bunch of little fish, or would you rather have a day where we only caught 5 or 6 fish that were big?" I was a little suprised when he said, "I would rather catch big ones." I will be honest with you, the only reason we made it to 2:30 was in the hopes that someone would be able to hook into a big one. It would be nice if we could get a few more fish in Hyrum with some size to them.
[signature]
I was talking to the biologist about Hyrum in November when I got into those browns that they had just planted. He said their surveys are showing a lot of big browns in Hyrum (preplanting), but the rainbows are just not getting very big. They want to manage for larger bows, but he didn't explain too much about how they were going to accomplish it. But my take is there are big fish in Hyrum, but most of us don't know how to catch them. We all set up for catching bows and apparently that's not how you need to fish to catch browns... So if we all want to catch bigger fish I guess we need to learn a new game and set up one of our poles for browns that will be a low yield pole and set up the second pole for bows so we don't get too bored waiting to find a nice brown... Or we can always go to a different pond... I sort of switched over to fishing more warm water fish through the summer and enjoyed that... But the winter and trout go together so I'm back to Hyrum wishing for bigger fish with you... Later J
[signature]
I talked to a fellor a few months back, said he knew of a guy catching 10+ lb browns......don't know how truthfull that is, but I believe there are some toads in hyrum and the Pig. Both bodies of water probly holds big browns.

Someone should go waste a day, and fish out in the middle[Wink] see if they're hiding there.
[signature]