Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Locking up
This site has a problem. I have noticed it on other computers so I know it is not mine. Occasionaly the site temorarily locks up.What ever you do during that time will not work.Then when the sight unlocks all those things happen( clicks, scroll up and down etc.)

I can be typing and it will lock up and I just keep typing. After a while all the letters that I typed show up.

Just a littl FYI
[signature]
[font "Arial"][size 2]I have this problem also. I think it has to do with not enough ram.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[size 2]It could be the server too. This site gets alot of hits from both guest and members. I have seen to many people on a weak server crash it or lock it up.[/size]
[signature]
I get a 10-15 second delay every time I open a page. I have gotten used to it. I am using a 56 k dial up so I figure it is the speed of wich information is treansfered.

at any rate I use this time to look away from the computer to reduce eye strain. and suport my caffeen addiction....

if you are getting longer periods you will be expriancing a shortage in ram space. you might have to place in bigger chips, or go with a newer moddle. I have been window shoping and I see that computers are now comming with 2-5 times more space in them.

computer manufactures are seeing that with the more advanced web sites these days there is not enough memory or ram to handle the advanced programs. I have found that my 32bit wont handle a good number of games made for computers now days. the time is comming when I will have to make the jump to a larger system my self. I am thinking though that I may be able to hold out 4 more years for the nest bread of puter

I still have room for one more memory chip to get me from 64 to 128 K of memory. this will help with my loading time. and the more cookies I can hold in my new chip the less time it will take for a page to load.
[signature]
If there is a delay when you are loading up a page, that is one thing. It could be the connection speed -- especially if you are using dial up. It could also be the amount of RAM (memory) that your computer has. It could also be that the server of this website is acting slow.

If there is a delay in displaying the letters that you have typed, that is entirely a different thing! It has absolutely nothing to do with the website, or the connection speed. It has everything to do with the computer you are using. It could be a slow processor(but probably not this), or that the memory is full or almost full. This means you need to add more RAM. If you only have 64 MB of RAM then you should EXPECT everything to be very slow. For me I'd say the minimum for good internet viewing should be 128 MB of RAM. Now, if you have lots of programs open at once, each will take up some of your memory. This will slow your computer down because it has to move things back and forth from memory and your hard drive, which takes lots of time. If you close some of your other programs down, it will free up some memory and may help the situation.
[signature]
I have a Gateway computer.It is not the fastest one every built but not near the slowest either. It has a Pentiun II prossesor at 350 hrtz. 6.4 gig hard drive with 2- 128 meg ram chips. This makes 256 meg ram memory.I added those a couple years ago. I run win 98 SE.

This is the only web site that I have the problem with, It is not a major problem just a small loss of time waiting for the site to catch up.
[signature]
Sounds like you have plenty of RAM. Hard drive space makes no difference on speed though. Your processor speed is only 350 hz then that is probably why. I've never had a problem with this site but I'm at work with a ridiculously fast computer.
[signature]
Yep, when I bought this computer several years ago . It was about as fast as they made.Now it is concidered slow.It still seems pretty quick to me.
[signature]
I have 264 and a 2.2 gig drive and DSL and I still have issues with this site loading. It's ok though. It doesn't happen all the time.
[signature]
this site gets a lot of usage from members and non members alike. I hav seen as many as 900 people loged in at one time. you wanna talk about a traffic jam. lol

for us regular haunters we will just have to be patient. we will encounter this situation more than most because we are on more often.

I also heard (roumered) that dsl is getting crowded and gets a little bogged down from time to time.
[signature]
[size 2]What the site operators need to recognize is they need a larger server with more memory for the amount of hits they get.[/size]

[size 2] My DSL or my T1 line at work isn't the issue. It's the amount of people on the site at peak times.[/size]

[size 2] Either they need to fix the issue or deny access to non-members during peak times.[/size]
[signature]
here is another thing that causes lock ups, and it has nothing to do with ips, dial ups, or server usage.

to put it simply, when your computer receives so many bits of information it automaticly slows down and locks up your bft pages because it has already received too many bits int the temp files. the only way to fix this is to log off the internet connection compleatly then log back on. and for computers with dsl means having to shut off the computer then reboot because of the auto dial service link when the computer is on.

I normaly have to shut off my internet connection a couple times a day because of this then sign back on. I log a good number of hours daily on this site, and have found that the usage on the board is not the main cause of slow down or lock ups.

the times I find when the most usage persist is not during the heavy trafic times (prime computer time) it is around 2-3 in the morning. when we have boad loads of gurst. dosent slow down the site much at all. what slows down the site is the number of people posting at the same time. and that is a momentary thing.
[signature]