Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sacramento Perch pictures
[cool][size 2]I lived several years in Sacramento, and caught Sacramento perch in several northern California waters. Biggest might have been a couple of pounds,,,dipping around the pilings of the port authority in the deep water channel.[/size]

[size 2]Also harvested a lot of five to six inchers in the American River, below Nimbus Dam, to use for striper bait. They are a lot like bluegills of a similar size.[/size]

[size 2]One of the best prospects for anyone who sets up a trip for only the SPs, is Crowley Lake, off 395 on the eastern side of the Sierras. And, if the perch don't cooperate, you can ease the pain with fifty fish days on big nasty browns and rainbows.[/size]

[size 2]Once you are in that area, you can also make a short shot over to Walker Lake...or go north to Pyramid Lake for the Lahontans. [/size]

[size 2]Like most "panfish", Sacramento perch are more active in warm water. They come shallow in spring and fall, but go deeper in the hottest part of the summer.[/size]

[size 2]I was looking for a website for Crowley Lake that would mention the perch. Here is one of the better ones I found.[/size]

[url "http://www.fishsniffer.com/dbacher/090700sacperch.html"]http://www.fishsniffer.com/dbacher/090700sacperch.html[/url]
[signature]
The pictures of the Sacramento Perch I posted were caught at Lake Crowley California.
The one with the older gentlemen (Dad) was this years annual Perch fishing contest winner (close to 3 lbs) I had the pressure ridden job of netting the fish and I knew if I screwed up I would be taking a swim. I have been fishing lake Crowley since the early 70’s (I made five trips there this year from Ogden). Lake Crowley is one of California’s popular Trout fisheries and the Sacramento Perch was not always a welcome fish there, but over the years Perch fishing has become very popular and an added attraction to the lake. As far as I can tell the two species seem to co-exist quite well. We usually jig for them with red or white feather jigs in mid June to early July when they are in their spawning beds (8 to 13 feet of water), In mid July through September they move out to open water and suspend in groups (about 15 to 20 feet deep) in 30 to 40 feet of water. If there is a breeze we drift and jig, no breeze we troll with small crank baits. I do believe the lake freezes in winter but I don’t think they ice fish in California (I know I didn’t until I moved to Utah what a shame) Lake Crowley has no limits on Sacramento Perch and on average the fish are about 1 lb with 2 lbs not being uncommon. The trout limit is 4 (Rainbow or Brown) and the trout season last until July 31st and then becomes catch and release. The lake is about a 10-hour drive from Ogden and sits on the Eastern side of the sierras at about 6700 feet. In addition there are several other Trout lakes and streams in the area. (Now I’m starting to sound like a travel advertisement). In closing If you ever do make it to Lake Crowley and you happen to see a short gray haired old man (Dad) cursing at the water skiers, just wave and say hello, but do it from distance because he does bite if he thinks your scaring the fish.

Find’em and Wind’em
[signature]