Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell Results
Just back from the annual guys January Fishing trip. 15 of us all made it home in one piece. The numbers are in. Here they are.

518 Stripers
4 Walleyes
7 Catfish
2 Largemouth

Lots of these fish were harmed in this trip. 22 Gallon Bags of fillets came home.
[signature]
Looks like you hammered them, possibly while hammering yourselves a little in the process. Nothing wrong with a good time, but those fantastic numbers for this time of year.

I wish more people would head down there in the winter and post reports. I wish I would head down there in the winter!

Any special spoons or jigs the ticket this year? Did you guys chum at all?
[signature]
nice haul there man, your freezer will be full all year with some good eats.
i gotta get back down there.[cool]
[signature]
I just looked to see what the weather was down there for you, and there is NOTHING WRONG with highs above 50 and around freezing. I am going to plan a trip down there next January.
[signature]
no seecret bait at all.

jigging in the 3 fishing baots with 1 oz silver castmasters. some others fished spoons or similar looking casters but that is the general looking lure. braided line is very importnant if you ask me. aslo sunk a choive on a jighead out in the boats. also trolled bucktail jigs with leaded line out 9 colors if we had to find more fish. that was no fun though, reeling in 9 colors of leaded line in on a penn reel. lame.

fished the docks in the dark with choives on jigs (1/2 or 3/8 white or lead color) and did well as well. maybe a little chum but not very often to almost none. I did not chum at all.

everyfish except the 2 largemout were caught in Bullfrog bay.
[signature]
Duck Butter,

We will go next year the same weekend.... plan you trip then and you will get lots of good laughs...
[signature]
Sounds like you guys had a blast, Way to go One of these days Im going to try a winter trip.
[signature]
incredible! what size are most of the stripers? Wayne was predicting a big die off of the 18" plus size this winter
[signature]
VERY NICE WORK! Most people don't realize how good a striper filet is and what a great sports fish they are. Sounds like lots of great Lake Powell fishing. All and all it must have been a very memorable occasion, providing you can remember it all. congratulations for all the shad you saved!
[signature]
Atleast 90% of the stripers we caught were over 18".

I am real sure we never caught one fish that weighed 5#.

Oh Waight, I caught a 5+ pound catfish on a jigging spoon. biggest cat I ever caught at Powell.

Probably 6 or 8 of the Stripers that were 4 to 4+. Noticeably bigger than the others.

I never weighed a fish or messured a fish. I would guess 90% of what we caught were 20 - 22 inches and weighed around 3 pounds.

Probably 30% of the Stripers were junk. Skinny Ones, the unhealthy ones that the meat was garbage. We just threw them away.
[signature]
Nice trip. Glad you guys were able to bring some home.[cool]
[signature]
More pics.... you can see the fish a bit better.
[signature]
Thanks for the invite T. I had a blast...my arm is still sore.

[fishon][fishon]
[signature]
Congrats, Id be more than happy to store some fillets in my freezer if you need. Can't guarantee they'll be there for long though. What a great trip!
[signature]
That's the kind of trips I like in the winter! Looks like a blast. Kind of like our early ice Henry's trip. Good company and great fishing.[Smile]
[signature]
Great Post/Report!!! Can't wait for my annual trip, missed this years due to being stationed here in Korea for a year, but I will be back for our May trip!!! Quick question, I have been keeping an eye on the lake level and webcam there at Bullfrog, how difficult was the launching there? I noticed you have to go off to the left of the main ramp. Again, just curious, as the lake will drop off a few more feet before May. Thanks for the report!!!

TS
[signature]
I hate you!
[signature]
[quote RustyPants]I hate you![/quote]

Now now RustyP, I can see you are new to the site, but please go back and read the BFT rules. You're asked not to submit attacks, or insults to others.
That said, can't help but agree with you, I hate him too!

Call me Kermit, and color me green with envy. That's a haul there.

TS - you guys tore them up! And that's a lake that can handle it.

Thanks for the report. Our cabin fever winter anglers are drooling, no doubt.
Looks like a great trip.... Do you think a first timer to Powell could ever get onto the fish? I've always wondered about a winter trip down to give it a try, but I've never been down at all and wouldn't know where to start or even what to try... It's a long trip and I'd hate to get skunked on one like that... Sounds nice to get to some warmer temps for a break as well... Thanks for the post, got me dreaming again.... Later J
[signature]
I think you are assuming I said "I hate you" because he caught and killed all those fish. I said I hate you cause I'm JELOUSE!!! Tried fishing there with some friends on a summers day and we got skunked for the stripped bass. Couldn't land a single stripper! Was so frustrated that these people go and catch a ton and I can't catch one! That's all. [mad]
[signature]