Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruining Yuba
Seeing people encourage the keeping and killing of big pike all in the name of "saving the yellow perch" or "bringing back the perck" makes me sick. So people would rather catch an 8 inch perch over a 44 inch pike? That logic doesn't make any sense to me. There are more carp in Yuba than you can shake a stick at. Release the big pike and let them continue to eat all the carp they can and if they eat some perch, who cares. I don't see the allure of filling a bucket full of little perch. If people really want to eat pike then that's fine. I have no problem with legally keeping fish, but doing it to quote, "save the perch" is ridiculous. Hell, even the state guy who appeared on KSL Outdoors was advocating the catch and keeping of big pike to quote, "bring back the perch and walleye fishery." That may be the dumbest statement I've ever heard. Perch are tiny and can be caught in dozens of places all over Utah. How about maintaining the only trophy pike fishery in the state? But nope, all the big pike are being caught and killed. Then next year we will see the effects of this dry winter and the farmers will drain Yuba. Thus destroying the baby perch stocking the state is planning and causing another waste of state funds. Can't wait for all the "perch lovers" to chime in.
[signature]
Did you miss the part about a chronic overpopulation of Pike?

Slot limit still keeps most of the big fish in the water.
[signature]
From my experience at Yuba there also seems to be a "chronic overpopulation of carp." More pike means more carp being eaten.
[signature]
[quote pointerfish25] More pike means more carp being eaten.[/quote]

more pike means more pike. And more pike. And more. And more.....

Which then = small pike. Lot's of 'em. Hammer handles. With NO large pike at all.

Harvest is the answer. Not to "save the perch" or to "save the walleye", but rather to "save the pike!".

If you like the pike fishery, and truly want to keep it a trophy fishery, then harvest is the answer. Listen to that state guy that said to harvest them. That's the only way you'll keep a quality pike fishery at Yuba. Harvest the hell out of them!

(I love these threads!!)

(yes!! I am a dumb ass. We know that. Let's keep on topic: how to maintain a trophy pike fishery at Yuba.)
[signature]
Harvest the hell out of them?
[signature]
Bogus
[signature]
Wow guys great first couple of posts! Great language for a family friendly site. You seem like a couple of real class acts. Just because you would rather catch pike than perch please don't try to tell me what I like or should like. There is so much more that I could say...but why bother
In before the lock[:p]
[signature]
[quote perchsuck]Harvest the hell out of them? You must a person of below average intelligence.* [/quote]

you're passionate. That's good. Now that we've established that you have some passion, let's discuss the issue: trophy pike.

How to maintain it?

Biologists (those silly fools) that manage the reservoir, and just happen to have years, and years of data, are suggesting that pike populations are nearing the top of the curve -- suggesting that a crash could be looming in the future. How do you prevent this crash, or rather sustain the boom? You MUST control populations. How do you control populations? Harvest.

you simply cannot allow the pike to continue to spawn and recruit more, and more, and more, and more pike. As population numbers go up average size goes down. Eventually, you will have a lake full of small pike with no large pike.

You can call people idiots all you want -- but without any sound and logical arguments, you end up looking like the idiot.

So, your turn. Let's discuss. What's your rebuttal? Name calling doesn't count.

*quote was modified to reflect a family friendly atmosphere.
[signature]
[quote pointerfish25]Then next year we will see the effects of this dry winter and the farmers will drain Yuba.[/quote]

Smartest thing you've said. So… what's the difference between harvesting a whole bunch of pike, or letting them die in the fields when they get dumped down an irrigation ditch?

If conditions are there for the pike to spawn, (and they are), then the pike that survive will spawn again. And we'll still have a ton of pike in Yuba.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{[/green][size 4][green]⦇[/green][/size][blue]°>[/blue]
[signature]
HAHA awesome PBH
[signature]
He's back (PBH) probably doesn't even fish for pike or perch. [:p]
[signature]
We have to harvest the Northerns to maintain the fishery. I just wish the DWR would have not allowed us to keep 1 over 36. I'm fine with the 20 fish limit but we need to turn the big fish back. Just think how big they are going to grow after the perch buffet will be released this spring! I'm getting a chub.
[signature]
[quote MR.PIKE] I just wish the DWR would have not allowed us to keep 1 over 36. [/quote]

This portion of the regulation is a "feel good" regulation. Biologically it doesn't do any bit of good at Yuba. You don't need to protect big fish to sustain big fish. What you DO need is to keep the population in that zone of maximum growth rate. If you keep the population in this zone -- were fish are growing FAST - then you will increase the number of fish that reach "trophy" sizes. So, how do you keep populations in that zone?? You reduce population size. How do you do that? You increase harvest. All harvest. Size doesn't matter -- it's overall numbers that you want to reduce.

But -- anglers always worry about protecting "the big ones". So in order to make anglers happy we see regulations like this one where you can only keep one fish over 36".

if you love 'em, keep 'em!
[signature]
While I agree with PBH in the harvest as many as you can to maintain the pike size, every fishery manager in the Midwest( home of the northern pike) advocates just the type of slot Yuba has.One fish over 36". It is not a "feel good" regulation. Big pike will eat a lot of small pike so leave the bigger ones in the lake and harvest a bunch of smaller pike. Study after study and real life history shows that that type of slot will maintain a trophy pike fishery. That's why the slot exists on Yuba. But small pike MUST be harvested with the numbers Yuba has.
[signature]
I agree with the current regulation. The smaller fish do need harvesting. Selective harvest of the larger fish as well. Some big fish will help the fishery but by removing the smaller fish will help the others get bigger. Also removal of some larger fish is a must as well. But selective is the key word...[cool] Time to fish!!!!
[signature]
Smartest thing you've said. So… what's the difference between harvesting a whole bunch of pike, or letting them die in the fields when they get dumped down an irrigation ditch?

I should have chosen my wording more carefully. I highly doubt Yuba will be completely drained, but wouldn't perch be less resistant to the ebb and flow of water levels than Pike? The perch eggs would be more exposed to predation, and thus I don't see the point in attempting to augment the perch population. Obviously, we will continue to disagree concerning the harvest of big pike. I just can't see how the pike will ever run out of carp and carp fry to eat.
[signature]

I am glad someone discussed the issue from a somewhat fisheries stand point. It starts out with zooplankton and phytoplankton. Then insects and some small fish. then larger fish, frogs, crayfish, ect. Then perch, carp, ect. The pike are by far the largest predator in the body of water. Being so, they have no or very little predation as adults. Thus, the fish will over populate and will be stunted. Once this happens other measures will be taken. To keep a population of larger pike you must have some predation taking place. Something else to remember about northern pike is that they are in essence a cold water species. In cold water they can et bigger and live longer then in hot water. In hot water they grow much more rappidly but die off quicker. Taking pike out inside a good slot wont hurt the population as much as you would think. Taking the fish out allows for the walleye to come back as well as perch due to the larger pike taking more of these species. Carp is a whole other subject. Those fish are hearty and its hard to bring down the poputaion. Fisheries management is dependant on so many factors and can at times be extremely tough. I think by having some of the adult pike taken out it will help everyone wanting to fish "their" species. I am all for the mangement of one to help the others. Its better to show support as the biologist went to school for these types of issues.
[signature]
Not sure if you were replying to me or not, but I haven't personally attacked, demeaned, or insulted anyone. Simply posted an evidentially un-popular opinion. Also, I don't believe I've used any offensive language.
[signature]
You make some valid points, but I disagree with a few of them. I would argue that while pike on pike predation is common, that they would still feed on carp and carp fry. Also, I've read that people find nice size carp in the bellies of big pike. This seems like the argument could be made to keep the big pike in the reservoir? As carp eat any eggs, vegetation, fry, whatever they can find I would imagine the big pike have helped decrease the carp population. And since carp are the more prodigious spawners, then the chance of a pike explosion seems less likely, in my mind anyways.
[signature]
[quote Delement87]HAHA awesome PBH[/quote]
+1

God bless you PBH for taking the time to try and put some sense into these types of threads!
[signature]