Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard's Future?
I have heard rumors that there has been a change of ownership for Willard Bay.
I know that we have one or two BFT members that work for Weber Basin.
Does anyone know what is up with Willard Bay?
Is there still plans to raise the Dike at Willard?
[signature]
I had not heard this, makes me wonder who would be taking over the state parks launches if this is true.
[signature]
I don't believe there is any truth to this but I would like to dispel the rumor, if it is simply a rumor.
[signature]
I know Weber Basin has paid for the new construction on the canal that feeds it. They also talked about upcoming phases on this project. So... .. I think it's a rumor. Why spent and plan for the future if you're looking or have sold the rights.
[signature]
I'm the treasurer for the Friends of Willard Bay organization and I haven't heard anything like that. I'm not privileged of all information but I think I would have heard something about that. In fact our last meetings have indicated high dollar improvements set to happen in the next couple of years funded by the Weber Basin.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Dale,

[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Willard Bay Reservoir is formed by Arthur V. Watkins Dam, which is a feature of the Bureau of Reclamation (BoR) Weber Basin Project. It is owned by the BoR, operated by the Weber Basin Water Conservancy District (WBWCD), and the recreation management is performed by the Utah Division of Parks and Recreation under agreement with the Bureau of Reclamation. A federal bill to enlarge the dam passed the House in 2007 but never passed the Senate. I know of no other pending legislation to enlarge the dam at Willard Bay.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3] [/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I’m fairly certain that the BoR will not be selling or transferring ownership of Willard Bay to another party. I also don’t see that WBWCD or Parks & Rec would be relinquishing their interests in the Bay anytime soon. So yea, I think what you heard is just a rumor.
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
There is currently a feasibility study underway looking to increase the capacity of the reservoir from 2 to 5 feet in depth. The study may be completed in 2014!
[signature]
Wow, that was a mouthful of bureaucratic profanity if I ever heard one.lol [Wink]
[signature]
[quote dubob][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 2] I know of no other pending legislation to enlarge the dam at Willard Bay.[/size][/#800000][/font][/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Spurred by OCF's post, I did some more research and found out that the feasibility study was approved in the 110th Congress on May 8, 2008 under Public Law 110-229: CONSOLIDATED NATURAL RESOURCES ACT OF 2008, Sec 504: ARTHUR V. WATKINS DAM ENLARGEMENT. The authority of the Secretary of the Interior to carry out any provisions of this section shall terminate 10 years after the date of enactment of this Act.

Further research on the Bureau of Reclamation (BoR) website shows that the latest update on the feasibility study was posted on March 3, 2011 and said this:
[#000000]
Quote:Although Reclamation has developed alternatives to raise the dam crest and maximum water surface elevation by five feet and begun geotechnical analyses, the need to include an analysis of the increase in seismic risk associated with the proposed raise is delaying progress on the feasibility study. Reclamation will complete a seismic issue evaluation in the fall of 2011 and will incorporate the evaluation into the feasibility study. Reclamation will revise the schedule for completing the feasibility study, allowing sufficient time to incorporate any additional requirements to analyze the seismic risk. To accommodate the time necessary for the seismic evaluation, Reclamation has postponed a design, cost estimating, and construction review until after the seismic issues can be analyzed and incorporated into the feasibility study.
[/#000000]
The BoR has until May 2018 to complete the study.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
For those who don't speak "bureaucrat" that means that change - if any - is many years down the road.
[signature]
And as dubob stated the Feds aren't likely to sell it to someone else regardless.
[signature]
That's exactly what I was talking about in my earlier post when I mentioned a high dollar projects. The simple fact remains that the bay loses anywhere from 5 to 6 percent of its over all capacity due to silt every year. Without some kind of floating dredge or raising of the dike the water needed by the users just plain and simply won't be there in thirty years.

I wasn't in at this particular meeting but a friend of mine was and he asked the GM of Weber Basin if and when would it be raised. He was told it could be in two days or in two months but the raising of the dike was going to happen.

Raising the dike two feet would be a much easier task if you take into account a few things. Number one would by the north marine and camp areas. Currently no dike is needed at all in that area. If they were to raise it up five feet that entire area would have to be diked. Also by going up only two feet, additional side load support on the rest of the dike wouldn't be required.
[signature]