Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help with cat hunting
I wanna try the very very difficult task of harvesting a cat without hounds. mainly because I don't have any and the buddies that I used to know that had them have either moved away or had to get rid of them. I was think about hiking in around the paliSades lower lake area maybe not that far back in there but that general area that or I was maybe thinking wolverine canyon area outside of firth. any help pointers tips????
[signature]
I've never hunted cats but I know there are cats around Taylor mountain, Heise/Kelly canyon area and in the river bottoms around Shelly and firth. I haven't seen any tracks on the ski hill so far this year so if you go that way I imagine you'd need a sled or skis to get back towards them.
[signature]
I would hunt them the same way you would with dogs. Find a fresh track.

After a fresh snow, preferably the night before, take off driving/walking and cover ground. If you have access to a ranger/snowmobile/fourwheeler or whatever, you can cover a lot of miles in the first hours of the morning. I would start an hour before daylight. If you are in a pickup, even earlier since you can stay warm.

When you find a fresh track, follow it. Glass ahead as much as possible.

I am no expert, but if I were after cats without dogs, this is how I would approach it. Try not to get too discouraged.

I would guess that this (spot and stalk mountain lion) is the toughest hunt for any of the North American big game species.
[signature]
ya its gonna be rough
[signature]
go over to monstermuleys.com in the Idaho forum. some guy just posted a story about this type of hunt. he and his buddy did a spot and stalk and got a double!! there's a crazy part in that story that is worth the read, even if you're not a cat hunter.

edit:
actually, here's the link. hope it works.
[url "http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID37/2382.html"]http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID37/2382.html[/url]
[signature]