Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Lake 2-1
First off, wanted to say thanks to everyone that spoke up and gave some solid advice about fishing here.

On to the report. We stopped at the south end and ventured out to ask a couple groups how the fishing was. The general consensus? Slow. So we headed up north and found a spot away from the main group but not out of tent city. Dropped in at about 15-18 FOW. Using tungsten jig heads tipped with wax worm, butter worm, and night crawler, (color didn't matter much) My wife (who had never successfully caught a fish) brought in the first perch for us. And continued to catch them all day long. We ended up catching about 90 of them without having to move, along with 6 or 7 skinny rainbows. The perch ranged in size from 2.5 inches (smallest fish I've ever seen caught on a hook.) To just shy of 9 inches. For most of that time it was not uncommon to have 2 or three fish on at a time. We made our first move after the fishing stopped around 1:00. Out to deeper water to target some of the bigger fish. We figured we had to be in 50-70 FOW (our depth finder being a rope with a rock tied to one end) and dropped down to 20-25 feet. Within 5 minutes my wife had her first rainbow of the day. (See attached photo) no more bites for another 15-20 minutes till another rainbow about the same size came and slammed a pole almost taking it in through the hole. By then the ladies in the group were antsy to get home so we started to pack up. Had 2 bites while cleaning up. The first snapped the tip off of the rod, throwing the hook free. The second took 6-7 shots at the bait before committing. Just before the fish came up to the hole the line snapped. I never got a look at the fish, but my brother said it didn't look like a rainbow.. guess we'll never know.

All in all, an excellent day on the ice, just enough snow to keep the ice from being slick, just enough sun to keep the tent warm, and just enough breeze to make us grateful we had tent stakes. More importantly though, just enough fish to keep me going from pole to pole re-baiting, and removing fish from the hooks.
[signature]
Looks like the picture didn't attach. Here it is!
[signature]
Sounds like a good day for me. What lbs test line were you using because there are some decent size lakers that would easily break your line.
[signature]
Hey Kodiak,

Was I right about you not getting to fish much????
[signature]
It was an excellent day on the ice, I'm thinking about making the three hour trip again on Saturday. As far as the line strength its only about 6lb. Since I want planning on hooking into any Lakers that's as strong as I figured we'd need. Though, if you want my opinion, I'll bet he horsed the fish too hard. He has a tendency to get a little excited when something bites.
[signature]
Haha. You definitely called it. Well worth the energy spent though, I think I've made two new fisherwomen with the trip. Personally, I certainly had more success when they got up to use the restroom. But I couldn't have asked for a better trip for them.
[signature]
Good.
[signature]
If you going after lakes you might want to use some brain line then 10 or 12 lbs line so it doesn't break if your after them especially in the deep water. I shall be down there pretty soon in my play book. [Wink] For sure I'm excited for my first icing on that lake.
[signature]
That's one happy lady. Good job on the catching!
[signature]
Glad to hear you did some catching and that your tent stayed where it was supposed to. [cool]
[signature]
When the better half is happy everyone is happy, glad you had a successful trip, and got some more people interested in fishing the hard water. [fishin]
[signature]
[fishin]
The kids have a Ball @ Fish Lake
[signature]