Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need New Powered 'Toon
Some good info here. If im reading correctly though, some question weather the motor/mount setup will hold up to continued use? Also, trolling will be a big issue...why would it troll to fast?
[signature]
[quote atvaholic]Some good info here. If im reading correctly though, some question weather the motor/mount setup will hold up to continued use? Also, trolling will be a big issue...why would it troll to fast?[/quote]

I can't see how the motor mount can fail. Even the plate that lloks like wood is actually the plastic they use as the walkway around Old Faithful. So water and weather can't effect it. The metal is aluminum, so no rusting. A 2 hp is not that big.
Gas motors just can not go as slow as an electric, plus you will be using it on a very light boat. Maybe a trim plate.
[signature]
That's what I was thinking. I'm just trying to see if I can get a little more money so I can consider the rampage. and/or maybe the assault XX. A 2 person boat might bring more possibilities. Darn this stuff is pricey.
[signature]
The XX is awesome.
[Image: IMG_3874.jpg]

Plus it will fit in the rolling duffle.
[Image: IMG_4233.jpg]

And it pretty much the same size as the Renegade x 2 (Renegade on top)
[Image: IMG_3906.jpg]

Check out around 3:40
http://youtu.be/c_aMjorXT1o
[signature]
Yeah, Im liking the assault a little bit more. Seeing the motors on both ends, thats interesting. A gas to get you way out there and an electric to troll quiet bays. How stable is it? I see scadden standing up on one, but he looks pretty shakey.

Im still looking at the rampage. I see its a bit wider, longer than other boats. Also pretty heavy. Is it made of more durable material? are there more valves? just trying to see if its worth the extra cost. Will it fit in the duffel?
[signature]
[quote atvaholic]Yeah, Im liking the assault a little bit more. Seeing the motors on both ends, thats interesting. A gas to get you way out there and an electric to troll quiet bays. How stable is it? I see scadden standing up on one, but he looks pretty shakey.

Im still looking at the rampage. I see its a bit wider, longer than other boats. Also pretty heavy. Is it made of more durable material? are there more valves? just trying to see if its worth the extra cost. Will it fit in the duffel?[/quote]

As for standing, with the Assault closed at both ends it feels that secure. I personally haven't tried, but i have terrible balance. But I have wanted to, specially on the XX.

Some comparisons for you, the XX is 6" shorter than the Ramapage. 4" narrower, 2" smaller diameter toons, and 6 lbs lighter because of this.
The Rampage might fit in a duffle, but it takes sucking the air completely out,and folding it just right. If it can be done, Dave can show you. There might be a youtube of it.
The XX has a valve for each side and one on each seat. I am not sure if the Rampage has two per side but one for the seat.
[signature]
Any suggestions on how to "wheel and deal" with North fork? Even though they have "show prices" they seem a bit steep to me.I might even look at the rampage if they can give me a deal.
[signature]
Can't help you there. I pay show prices as well. You can try dropping my name Joni, but NO guarantees.
[signature]
When I was shopping for first 'toon, I saw NFO prices and wondered why anyone would pay that much for a "rubber" boat. I had looked at pontoon boats for $200 - $500 (that seemed a reasonable price) and then was able to drop by Scadden's shop to check out his boats in detail.

Ended up buying an Assault XX that we've used extensively under all kinds of conditions (running Utah's Green to floating big reservoirs in snow storms) and the thing still looks like new with zero problems. You can see some of our adventures on NFO's Facebook page.

Just my two cents, but I think you get what you pay for.

I now also own an NFO Avenger XX, Navigator, and Predator and think they are a good value for the price.
[signature]
Kanderson: Any benefits of Asault XX vs Predator style? Im kind of torn.
[signature]
To me there is a difference. I fly fish, I like to keep the tip of my rod in the water when stripping line in. I like landing the fish in front of me. I would say the ability to walk straight out of the boat, but that is if the foot bar is not hooked up.
The Closed front however is a much more secure feeling. I have accidentally dropped my rod on both styles and lets just say, my heart was pounding on the Renegade as I had a wet arm retrieving it. With the closed front you can lay you rod down. Choppy water the closed front gives more a sense of security. You do fish out of the side but easy adjustment.
There is always a little adjusting to different boats, but IMHO these are well thought out.

I have had the Expedition 9' pontoon, the Escalade-the pre Navigator II The Freestyle H3. the Navigator -the pre Renegade version, a Cardiac Canyon (always be one of my favorite) an Escape, and a Renegade and I now have the Assault, the Assault XX, the X5, The Predator and soon the Fusion. I am kinda partial to NFO LOL
[signature]
I would like to see NFO compete in the backpacking area- 14# is just not competitive with the 8# Trinity, ODC Ultra, etc. They have the heart valve material to possibly make a sub 6# lightweight and compact unit. One thing is that a backpacking boat can be used in most places where the heavier boats are used, but the opposite is not true.

Wonder why they and everyone else went into the very highly competitive SUP area which I a thinking will be a passing fad.... SUPs are just not as comfortable, stable, versatile and don't have the pocket storage or bells and whistles possible with sit down types....

JMHO.

Pon

[quote jmach]There are a lot of great posts here. Regarding the NFO watercraft. I have the Renegade and love it, but use it with oars and fins (no motor). I have an aluminum boat if I fish a larger body of water where I want a motor. For backpacking...it would be very difficult to carry a Rampage for 5 miles. I think that it weighs 38 pounds + waders + fins, etc. NFO makes an Assault Ultra-Lite that weighs 14 pounds. I haven't seen one, but this weight makes it enticing.

Brookies[/quote]
[signature]
[quote pontoonman]I would like to see NFO compete in the backpacking area- 14# is just not competitive with the 8# Trinity, ODC Ultra, etc. They have the heart valve material to possibly make a sub 6# lightweight and compact unit. One thing is that a backpacking boat can be used in most places where the heavier boats are used, but the opposite is not true.

Wonder why they and everyone else went into the very highly competitive SUP area which I a thinking will be a passing fad.... SUPs are just not as comfortable, stable, versatile and don't have the pocket storage or bells and whistles possible with sit down types....

JMHO.

Pon. [/quote]

I talked to Dave about this. The first Predator was 8 lb 6' pontube (same as Escape) out of Heartvalve material. But, everyone wanted it bigger.
With the popularity of the Renegade he opted for the 8', 14 lb Predator and Assault Ultra Light.
The demand for that back pack tube is there,but people want the rowing. Plus the whole seat and storage area are inflated. For 6 lb more you are getting a pontoon, not a tube.
As for SUP, maybe watch some of his videos. He takes them down some sick rivers. It is a canoe, kayak, stand up board, plus you can sit sideways and kick. Gear storage is not a problem either. Plus he has a motor mount accessory for them.
Rolls up to a roll. Then with the Fuzion, you get the shape and oars of a pontoon with the standing platform of a SUP.
I personally don't see them as a phase.
[signature]
Well, after countless hours of research and reading opinions, I've finally come to a decision. At the end of it all, I really wanted a rampage, but found a lightly used assault XX on ebay with motor mount for about half the price...so iits now on its way to me...Apparently its in like new condition, no patches....I guess money does talk, keeping my fingers crossed
[signature]
[quote atvaholic]Well, after countless hours of research and reading opinions, I've finally come to a decision. At the end of it all, I really wanted a rampage, but found a lightly used assault XX on ebay with motor mount for about half the price...so iits now on its way to me...Apparently its in like new condition, no patches....I guess money does talk, keeping my fingers crossed[/quote

Not to worry, it still has the same warranty.
[signature]
Both are solid choices with different strengths (as pointed out by FG). The Assault XX will give you more room for gear or to take along a fishing buddy. While we bought a second 2-person boat (Avenger XX), we plan on keeping the Assault because it's performed so well under so many conditions.

I've had two pin-size holes in my Assault that were both my fault -- left the cotter pins in the foot-rest bar and then rolled up raft. Didn't notice until got on water and saw bubbles coming up between my legs (not those kind of bubbles[blush]). Both were fixed within minutes using small tube of Loon UV wader repair.

My experience is that the only way you'll get a hole in your Assault is if you drag it over a sharp object (broken glass), sit on it with a Bowie knife at your side, or otherwise pierce it with a sharp object.

We've beach ours on rocky/sandy shores over a 100 times and bounced off and over some serious river rocks with no sign of wear on side or bottom. The Assault is one tough 'toon. Enjoy.
[signature]
Thanks FG and Kanderson. How do you rig it up for 2 people? I see in the videos there is some elevated seat in the front. Does that come with it? Also my motor flips around 180 degrees would it be better on the front or back? I will be using it for trolling.
[signature]
It comes with a box/trunk and two seats. But Kevin made a nice front seat set up for his guests that will swivel.
The Trunk is a cloth box that you will need to put a milk crate or something strong enough to hold weight inside. Plus extra storage. It straps down
[Image: IMG_3876.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3871.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3874.jpg]
My hubby hauls Baxter
[Image: IMG_4496.jpg]
Here both guys are at about 220 lb
[Image: IMG_4311.jpg]

I am not sure how you will reach the motor on the front. The boat is 10 feet long.
[signature]
Wow, thanks for the detailed post, FG. I was wondering how it would handle with 2 grown men on it. The boat is impressing me from what I see so far.
[signature]
For front seat, you can use NFO storage box; ice chest with pad, or this set up my wife really likes. The floors can be made rock hard for the seat frame or softer for sitting on.

[inline "Big Springs.jpg"]
[signature]