Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New rifle
well, ive been wanting to build a custom rifle for quite awhile and after this past season with a couple kills, I decided it was time. i'll call it a "semi-custom" since I used a stock 700 stainless action. lol! had the action blue printed/trued as well as truing the bolt face and lapping the lugs. went with a hart stainless match grade barrel (270). I couldn't decide between a 24" or 26" so I had it cut at 25" lol! I had it turned to a remington sendero bull barrel contour and shaved .050" off to reduce some weight. put a timney straight trigger in it. used an hs precision stock with a full aluminum bedding block but also had the action and recoil lug glass bedded in case of any imperfections with the aluminum block. also had a sims limb saver custom fitted to the stock. finished up by having a matte cerakote finish applied to the action and bolt. just got it back a few days ago. cant wait to break it in and tune some loads. hopefully i'll draw my bear tag and get it put to use early!!
[signature]
pics...
[signature]
nice looking rifle !! gonna be hard to shoot very accurate without sights or scope though!![laugh]
[signature]
ha! sure would. im putting on a dnz game reaper scope base/rings topped with a nikon monarch 4x16x44. the base/rings are getting a cerakote finish as we speak. should be ready for pick up Monday. just wanted them to match the action in color and my ceakote guy said he'd do it for free. intended to have them done anyway but I forgot to take them in with the action.
[signature]
sweet rifle. those dnz rings will treat you well also
[signature]
That is a awesome rifle. Ron
[signature]
Time and money in that! Absolutely beautiful work of art.
[signature]
thanks all!!

jabink89, dnz makes a great product. ive got them on all my rifles.
[signature]
Looks are about the least important thing to me when it comes to rifles. I'd love to hear more about how she groups once you get that far along. From the descriptions of what you've done to build it, it should shoot some good groups.[Smile]
[signature]
agree on the looks part, but when you put a pile of cash into a build, you still want it somewhat easy on the eyes. lol!! i'll post up some info once I get some loads going. being a hand lapped barrel, hart says just shoot it, don't worry about a traditional break in. well, I'm still going to do it. ive got some kg solvents coming. I've always wanted to try them and figured this is a good time. have heard nothing but great things about their products.
[signature]
That's a badazz rifle you got there.... Put some 140 or 150 grain SSTs going 3200fps and you got a killer... We use the 130s, but there a hair light, but will still kill an elk or two,
Matt
[signature]
thanks!

I strictly use 130gr for 270. I think its the best weight bullet for the 270, performance wise. killed plenty of deer/elk with it. had this chamber cut around a 130gr. sierra game king. I do shoot the sst's in 270 as well as my 300. took my last bull with a 180 sst at 400yds and piled him in his tracks. they're good bullets.

just a word of caution, if you're loading sst 140 & 150's to shoot 3200fps, you're well above max loads for both. be careful.
[signature]
I have really liked the 140 gr Hornady. I have used it on elk off and on for about 20 years. Ron
[signature]