Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shad up high, striper down low
***GET TO THE WASH FOR SHAD WHILE THEY'RE SHALLOW--1'-2'***

Today's wet weather made for an awesome fishing day. I set off from boulder harbor at 10am with the plan to net shad and drop them on schools of striper, saw a guy hook up as I left the cove...got into the wash where there was a dense supply of shad right in the middle of the wash, all the way in the back in 1'-2' of water. Every net had 7-10 shad in it, I had what I needed in a matter of minutes.

Started trolling two at a time all around the wash, casting a crank bait and spinnow here and there. There were tons of arches on the fish finder, but there were also about 30 carp every 100 feet or so spread across the top of the water (post spawn maybe) which made it hard choose where to spend time.

I spent a few hours repeating this, stopping now and then to cast for fun and replace my dwindling shad. Finally, a ranger pulled in and started checking everyone--spooked me outta there quick, all I need is a ranger holding me up for 30 mins lol so I darted back to Boulder Harbor, with the memory of that guy getting into a striper right there by the 'rock' and 'flat wake' buoys.

I pulled up, started trolling 3 at a time--graphing medium size fish in dense groups, I was stoked. In short, 2 of my rods went off--I got robbed. My rod in hand got a fish on, I could feel he was skin hooked and tried to baby him in, but all in vain.

FINALLY! Both my trolling rods, simultaneously, get smashed. I reel both fish in with, with a huge sense of satisfaction. I cast all three back out, and one gets smashed again Smile at this point, I was happy about the day. I reel em up, throw him on the ice and keep trolling. The sun sets--and now I'm munching on bbq's striper.
[signature]
Nice report. How did you get the gizzard shad in the photo?

I've seen others hang out around that bar at Boulder harbor entrance.

How was the wind? But you got off early huh?
[signature]
I kept seeing those schools of carp with their backs out of the water, so I crept up on some in the back of the wash and threw a cast net on them--much to my surprise, I netted a carp-size gizzard lol I don't know if you can grasp the size of the thing but it really is the size of an adult carp, huge man.

The wind was really low and permitting, just drizzly weather with flat water. As I got back to the open water near the intake tower, however, there were some sizable rollers throwing my boat around. And i was there til it got dark lol I started hooking up at the very end of the day...wish I had spent all my time in Boulder Harbor.
[signature]
I've been seeing fish with their backs out in various coves. I thought carp...but maybe big gizzard shad. They spawn in open water and the eggs sink and hopefully stick in something...hopefully for the shad of course.

I found a good weather resource here:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php...15.136&e=0
---------------------------------------
You probably know this one. What I found is lower on the page below "Additional Forecasts and information" you can find a weather graph.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php...=graphical

On that day I think the graph said wind coming up about 3 to 4 PM. Keep yourself safe or at least informed out there.

I've got a lot of respect for how big + rough Mead can get in the big reaches but I gotta say some of the best Striper fishing I ever had is when it is downright windy and nasty and you are downwind on a windward shore which is throwing up a mud line.

That's when you need to know your rig is gonna start every time. Smile.
[signature]
How many rods are you trolling?
You are allowed 2 poles and not more than 2 hooks/lures per pole.

Hate to pile on but no Styrofoam is allowed in the park.
That means coolers, bait buckets, drink holders and worm containers.
[signature]
[inline 0209141511.jpg]

Here is a super sized Gizzard we got on Saturday 2-08-14. Also got 3 tilapia. Not one Striper all day long.
[signature]
trolling 2 casting 1. styrofoam is a heat liner in my live well bucket
[signature]
Just giving you a heads up to avoid a potential ticket.
This is from page #9 from the Superintendent_Compendium_2010 (see attached)

[font "Arial"][/font][size 3][/size][font "Arial"][/font][size 3][/size]
3. The Lake Mead National Recreation Area is closed to glass beverage

containers and Styrofoam, the possession of glass beverage containers

and Styrofoam in prohibited except:

• Within domiciles.

• Within Concession operated food and beverage service areas.

• Stored within vehicles.

[/size][/font]

[/size][/font][font "Arial"][/font][size 3][/size][font "Arial"][/font][size 3][/size]
The restriction on glass beverage containers and Styrofoam is based on safety

and environmental concerns. Glass beverage containers are not appropriate at

Lakes Mead and Mohave, as the number of injuries related to this type of

[/size][/font]

[/size][/font]

[/i][font "Arial"][/font][size 3][/size][font "Arial"][/font][size 3][/size][/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][/font][size 3][/size][font "Arial"][/font][size 3][/size]container continues to be an issue. Styrofoam does not breakdown and can be [/i][/size][/font][/size][/font][font "Arial"][/font][size 3][/size][font "Arial"][/font][size 3][/size]a[/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][/font][size 3][/size][font "Arial"][/font][size 3][/size]
[/size][/font][/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][/font][size 3][/size]

[font "Arial"][/font][size 3][/size]

problem for wildlife. Based on these concerns, the National Park Service has

closed the above areas to glass beverage containers and Styrofoam.
[/size][/font]

[/size][/font]

[/i]
[signature]