Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What size elec trolling motor for 14'?
I just made a trade for an older 14' aluminum v hull and am trying to find out how much thrust is recommended to push it around at a good trolling pace in lower gears and still commute to different locations in higher gear. Very new to the boating world, any help would be appreciated.
[signature]
When you say "thrust," I can only assume you're talking electric. You'll run your battery(s) dead in a hurry using an electric to move from spot to spot. Get a small gas outboard to move around, and an electric with at least 45-50 pounds of thrust to fish with. The more thrust, the more amps you need from your batteries. 24 volt systems last longer, but might be overkill for a 14-footer.

If you originally meant "horsepower" instead of thrust, see what the boat is rated for first. I've run 14-footers with a 25, and they troll down well, and run quick wide open. That's what I'd do. 25 hp outboard, 50 pound-thrust electric.
[signature]
Thanks for the advice. I was leaning towards getting a higher thrust electric to start with, mainly because several of the waters I fish are electric only, then move onto an outboard when finances allow it. I posted an add in the for sale section looking to trade a cab over camper I have for a decent outboard. I spend a lot of time in the Bear Lake area and would eventually like to hit the lake and the allure of the Gorge may draw me to a trip up there sometime this summer as well.
[signature]
It depends on what your boat is rated for. Most 14' alu boats with deep V design are rated for 10 to 15hp motors but you can easily get by with motors as small as 4hp. You can troll with a 10 to 15hp motor with no problem as well. Buy what you can afford, I used 4 to 7.5hp motors for years on my 14' alu boat. If you fish on small lakes you really don't need a big motor.
[signature]
We have a 14' Aluminum and we use a 45 lb thrust. We can get about 3 to 5 hours at variable speeds on a large 29 deep cycle battery from Walmart.
For long days, like Jim said, we have a gas motor that can charge the battery while running. Our motor is an older Honda 9.9
[signature]
I believe it is rated for either or 10 or 18hp max. (I am still trying to identify which model my boat is, as it is more in the "vintage" category). It is a 1966 Larson, just not sure if a Skipper or a Game Warden. Have to measure the hull to make sure after finally finding some old information online today.

Any preferences in brands of outboards? I have heard good things about Johnson and Evinrude and know Hondas are bulletproof in other categories.
[signature]
[quote buckhunterhart]Thanks for the advice. I was leaning towards getting a higher thrust electric to start with, mainly because several of the waters I fish are electric only, then move onto an outboard when finances allow it. I posted an add in the for sale section looking to trade a cab over camper I have for a decent outboard. I spend a lot of time in the Bear Lake area and would eventually like to hit the lake and the allure of the Gorge may draw me to a trip up there sometime this summer as well.[/quote]

If you're going all electric, get the most thrust you can afford (60 and up), carry at least two batteries, preferably more. Stay OFF the Gorge and Bear Lake because when the wind comes up, you'll be SOL, or worse, dead. Seriously, I mean that. 14-foot boats with only electric power have no place on the big reservoirs. You can enjoy the smaller ones if you're careful though.
[signature]
Will do. I have seen what the wind can do on Bear Lake and would not attempt it without an outboard. Strawberry gets much the same way in the afternoons. I plan on mainly hitting Lost Creek, Echo and possibly some others in the N UT/S ID area. Have been doing decent from float tubes on Montpelier Reservoir for Kokes and anxious to step it up from a boat. Hopefully the recent storms we are getting will fill up the reservoirs this spring, last fall was pretty scary how low they were.

May have to book a trip to the Gorge before trying that one. That one is far enough away that I have spent virtually no time on the water there.
[signature]
Almost all newer motor brands are good, for most people it comes down to what ever they like the best like Ford or Chevy. Mercury is good but so is Honda but there is a great price difference in the two. If money is no issue get the Honda, if it is an issue get the Mercury but they both make a good motor. If you can find a used 4 stroke, get it, they are a lot better than having to mix oil. I agree with Jim though, do not go on the Gorge with a 14' boat. I did when I had my 14' boat and almost died, it is not worth the risk.
[signature]